Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,825 times

Advertisements

HD is both 1080 and 720.

Component can go 720. I do not know if it CAN go 1080 (although a standard VGA cable is really just a computerized component video. I did not know that!!! ). VGA can go higher than 1080 resolution for sure.

HDMI is the copy protections illigitimate child. It was intended as an all-in-one cable that would give you audio and video, but the MPAA was so worried about copyright infringement (people with ethe "perfect" VCR) that they demanded that it be impossible to record stuff from your TV.

Great.

Now all the pirates have are ILLEGAL ways (software and cracked hardware) to make all the illigit rips of movies to sell on the corner and all those families that were recording House or Rachael Ray are now, for the love of God, prevented from proliferating their nefarious ways!!!!!

BTW, the term I was looking for was "Response time". The lower (in milliseconds = ms) the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
HDMI allows for signal encryption (HDCP).

I don't have directv so I can't verify this personally, but I read on another forum that directv on-demand only works through HDMI for DRM purposes.

I have power DVD Ultra on my HTPC and you cannot watch DVD's over component cables. I had to use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to satisfy the HDCP requirements of the program.
You're right about DRM. I think HDCP is required for Blu-Ray playback. Any Blu-ray video signal NOT via HDCP (over HDMI) is downgraded in quality.

But it is incorrect to say high definition pictures require HDMI. I am watching 720p over component on my rather old Pioneer CRT-based HD rear projection TV.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM

My bad, I used HDMI rather than DRM for the MPAA's little toy dog....

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Seems you too are a bit misinformed! LED is light emitting diode technology and OLED is organic light emiting diode there are LED displays whether you believe so or not. Different strokes for different folks...I gave my experience and opinions... I still prefer CRT technology overall...except for the sheer size and bulk of it.I am aware Samsung calls it's TV's LED but it is only the backlight and the display is LCD...but it is called LED television. It's like arguing over how to pronounce "potato".
Again, there is no such thing as an LED TV (OLED yes, LED no), Samsung's pathetic, very weak marketing effort not withstanding. LED backlighting does not make an LED TV. I hope very few people fall for this tactic.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
As far as picture goes, Plasma still has the advantage in contrast, especially black (like if you watch any movie with darkness, Pan's Labrynth, etc..). However, the newer LED backlit LCD screens are getting close, but they cost more. For $ comparison, a decent plasma will most likely look better than a similar priced LCD (non-LED backlit). However, plasma does have issues with burn-in if you have still images like CNN logo or whatever, even though the new ones have pixel orbit.

I got a Panasonic Plasma, because the the Sony Z series I was looking at was a lot more expensive, but I think the picture would be no better. Check the standard contrast ratio (and dynamic). Most LCD spec their dynamic ratio, which is higher, but their standard contrast ratio is lower than Plasma.

Plasma also use more power and are heavier.

OLED is the current Sony super thin, and very expensive TV with apparently amazing picture.

As far as cable goes, you should use HDMI for connecting components (category 2, which is 1080p). This is the simplest and cheapest way to deal with it (you can get them for as low as ~$5).

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Again, there is no such thing as an LED TV . . .
Yes there is.

Though I don't know of anyone that has one in their home.

They've been in existence for years.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Yes there is.

Though I don't know of anyone that has one in their home.

They've been in existence for years.
Please show us a link or point us to one.

What Samsung calls an LED TV is not an LED TV.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

And no, the advertising signs in Times Square and Yankee Stadium do not count!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
And no, the advertising signs in Times Square and Yankee Stadium do not count!!!
well okay; i'm busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano
Please show us a link or point us to one.

What Samsung calls an LED TV is not an LED TV.
Here's one anyway.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Since you want to stretch the limits of what a "TV" is to go beyond what an ordinary person would say.....

I suggest then that these LED displays are not in fact TVs. They do not have a tuner that can receive broadcast television signals. They are no more a TV than the LCD computer display I see in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics