Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:33 PM

65 posts, read 523,505 times

Advertisements

A friend is buying property (bank-owned) in a rural area that has one of those HUGE white satellite dishes mounted in the yard. There are some wires and stuff coming off it, but not attatched to the house that I can see. How can we find out if it works? Does anyone know anything about these old satellite dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Sounds like an old C-Band setup.

I'm not sure why you'd even want to get it working; go with a smaller digital dish from an outfit like DISH Network.

Let's shunt this over to the Tech forum and see if we can get you some answers.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,616 times
As Cornerguy1 said, it appears to be a C-band dish. Google this on the web and you can find lots of info.

You might be able to check whether the dish mover (a motor that pans the dish across the sky to track satellites) is working by connecting the appropriate voltage to the motor terminals. To test the LNB (low noise block, the device that actually picks up the signals) you'll likely need a C-band receiver. Those can run several hundred dollars.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:52 AM

307 posts, read 1,181,155 times
Big Ugly Dish!

We had one of these back in the 80's. It was a whole new experience when it came to watching tv. There were hundreds of unknown (to me at the time) cable and local channels to watch. Watching raw feeds of different broadcasts made for interesting tv. Memories...But once a lot of stations started encoding their transmissions I guess we forgot about it and got cable or something.

I think it'd be a cool project to restore. You can still get a lot of different channels from around the world (Free to Air) with the right mods.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
Since you said big and white, I'm going to assume that it's a solid dish. Solid is good because it means that you can pick up Ku band signals. If it was mesh, you would have to have the tighter weave for Ku.

Most of the satellites are Ku. There are a few C band, but not worth watching. I wonder if there are still C band wild feeds up there. Those were always cool to watch. If the dish moves, you have the advantage of hitting all of the satellites in the arc.

Anyhow, I would check to see if the dish will still physically move. Lube everything up, and clean the rust off of the bearings. If it does, there are receivers and LNB's that you can buy for an old C band dish. Do a Google search on FTA (free to air) satellites. You will learn all kinds of new terms such as Dave, Charlie, Bev, testing, bins, keys, non-plastic, full emulation, and most importantly Nagra3.

Nagra 3 is bad. Read up on it. I would also recommend Viewsat as a brand of receiver.

This link might help you out. http://forums.dsstester.com/vbb/index.php (broken link)

Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Big Ugly Dish!

We had one of these back in the 80's. It was a whole new experience when it came to watching tv. There were hundreds of unknown (to me at the time) cable and local channels to watch. Watching raw feeds of different broadcasts made for interesting tv. Memories...But once a lot of stations started encoding their transmissions I guess we forgot about it and got cable or something.

I think it'd be a cool project to restore. You can still get a lot of different channels from around the world (Free to Air) with the right mods.
All c-band anolog will be dead as of 2/17/09 when digital cuts over.You would have to purchase a digital reciever and LNB,expensive,along with actuator arm if it does not work.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,155 times
Even the FTA's in other countries are going digital? I'm a little out of the loop on this I guess.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:42 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
All c-band anolog will be dead as of 2/17/09 when digital cuts over.You would have to purchase a digital reciever and LNB,expensive,along with actuator arm if it does not work.
How about a digital-analog converter?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:54 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post

I don't believe that to be true. Television stations will cut over to digital, but that has nothing to do with microwaves coming from satellites.

I did some research to see if I was missing something. This is what I found.

C-Band Analog Discontinuance? - rec.video.satellite.tvro | Google Groups

c-band analog channels - Al7bar .tk FTA Satellite Television Community, Audio/Video and more!

The big question here is, do you think your buddy will be interested in a new hobby? Because playing with satellites is just that, a hobby. If not, he may as well tear it down for the scrap man.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Yep, the cost to update is painful and many of the sats you have to pay for. Cut mine up and recycled the aluminum and went with the small dish, much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics