U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 PM

5,571 posts, read 6,097,016 times

Advertisements

I own a Garmin nuvi 205 unit, but my question is about GPS functionality in general.
When I use mapquest or google maps on my PC, I usually get a view of the map from above. When zooming out, I can watch the whole route and even drag and drop it. That way, I can decide to drive partly trough another state and later return to the original route, or take a scenic drive, etc.
What GPS unit comes loaded with like options?
My unit has little to configure and starts by showing only a simplified zoomed map, with my car in 3D. When I zoom out, the car is pictured in 2d, but the map is never rich in details like mapquest.

Last edited by oberon_1; 07-24-2009 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,916 posts, read 33,670,590 times
What you ask for would require a lot of processor and a lot of RAM to pull off in a standalone device. The zoom out on Google Maps is aided greatly by the well-engineered push from the web server and the horsepower of your PC.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
What you ask for would require a lot of processor and a lot of RAM to pull off in a standalone device. The zoom out on Google Maps is aided greatly by the well-engineered push from the web server and the horsepower of your PC.
Thanks. So in a sense there is still no substitute for old fashion detailed maps of the area.
You may be right about RAM memory and processing power, though I was under impression that the limiting factor is the small, low resolution display.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 11,298,450 times
I wonder what you *really* expect from a GPS unit.
In the end, looking at the *real* thing, is what it is all about, no ??

When I drive in a car, I usually know where I am going, so no GPS required, but in some cases, where I have NEVER been, I do have a need for the GPS unit. I have an older 60 series, with very little memory.

When I fly (I fly an ELSA *Experimental Light Sport Aircraft*, which is NOT a traveling machine, but a fun machine that can fly for up to three hours, low and slow, and thus a good sightseeing contraption), I plan my flights at home, using Google Earth and MAP Source.

I look at Google Earth, and find an interesting route, and then note all the prominent waypoints where I need to change direction. Then transfer all those way points to the GPS.
I do use the TOPO maps Garmin has available to check the layout of the land since I am flying and not driving.

I then transfer all that data into my GPS and follow the routes I have planned. Something akin to what all other *car drivers are doing* except I do not use *roads*.

The fun part comes after my trips, and that is the possibility to use the *tracks* that my GPS has saved, and put those back into Google Earth.
The tracks have *read points* that are embedded in the track and I can now *match* those points with the data that all my pics have, so I know exactly where on that track I took the pictures.

So in essence, even that simple old Garmin 60C I have is quite *up the task* I need it do do for me, and I really do not need to *see it* in 3D !!!

Back to the OP question --
What do you really want to see ?
--How much *detail* would you like to see ?
--Is not, *go that way*, enough for you to know where to go ?
How do you plan your trips ?
--I plan *routes* form one way point to the next.
--Your waypoints could/should be locations where you need to stop and smell the roses ?!

OTOH if, as another poster mentioned, you need MORE processing power, then how about using your unit with a laptop ? Garmin does have a programme that can do that. It is called *Enroute*.

LBNL, I do not understand at all, why anybody *needs* to see his/her planned route in 3D ??
All normal *old fashioned* maps are always *just 2D* !!!

Maybe the GPS is not *set-up* correctly ?
I have seen some people have the GPS with *north* always on top (!!), rather than the car always *facing up* ....
My *old faithful* has my car always facing *up*, and when I come to a turn, the screen goes to a very detailed *zoom-in*, where I even can *see* the freeway lanes !!!.
Then after the turn off, or turn, the screen goes to a *zoom-out* again.

When I fly, I only use, the Compass feature (a big red arrow points the way for me) and a few other windows I *need*, like speed, altitude, glide, time of day and ETA to the next waypoint.

Attached, an example of one of my *flight plans*, from *MapSource*
The *route* is drawn, and it shows all the pertinent data (I need) connected with it.
The 2nd pic, is an example of the track transferred to Google Earth.
The last one is a *road map*.

So a bit of work involved, but rather detailed, I would say !!
Attached Thumbnails
GPS functionality-24jul2009_eve.jpg   GPS functionality-flighttrip20090517_ge.jpg   GPS functionality-home2scipio.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 07-27-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I wonder what you *really* expect from a GPS unit.
In the end, looking at the *real* thing, is what it is all about, no ??

When I drive in a car, I usually know where I am going, so no GPS required, but in some cases, where I have NEVER been, I do have a need for the GPS unit. I have an older 60 series, with very little memory.

When I fly (I fly an ELSA *Experimental Light Sport Aircraft*, which is NOT a traveling machine, but a fun machine that can fly for up to three hours, low and slow, and thus a good sightseeing contraption), I plan my flights at home, using Google Earth and MAP Source.

I look at Google Earth, and find an interesting route, and then note all the prominent waypoints where I need to change direction. Then transfer all those way points to the GPS.
I do use the TOPO maps Garmin has available to check the layout of the land since I am flying and not driving.

I then transfer all that data into my GPS and follow the routes I have planned. Something akin to what all other *car drivers are doing* except I do not use *roads*.

The fun part comes after my trips, and that is the possibility to use the *tracks* that my GPS has saved, and put those back into Google Earth.
The tracks have *read points* that are embedded in the track and I can now *match* those points with the data that all my pics have, so I know exactly where on that track I took the pictures.

So in essence, even that simple old Garmin 60C I have is quite *up the task* I need it do do for me, and I really do not need to *see it* in 3D !!!

Back to the OP question --
What do you really want to see ?
--How much *detail* would you like to see ?
--Is not, *go that way*, enough for you to know where to go ?
How do you plan your trips ?
--I plan *routes* form one way point to the next.
--Your waypoints could/should be locations where you need to stop and smell the roses ?!

OTOH if, as another poster mentioned, you need MORE processing power, then how about using your unit with a laptop ? Garmin does have a programme that can do that. It is called *Enroute*.

LBNL, I do not understand at all, why anybody *needs* to see his/her planned route in 3D ??
All normal *old fashioned* maps are always *just 2D* !!!

Maybe the GPS is not *set-up* correctly ?
I have seen some people have the GPS with *north* always on top (!!), rather than the car always *facing up* ....
My *old faithful* has my car always facing *up*, and when I come to a turn, the screen goes to a very detailed *zoom-in*, where I even can *see* the freeway lanes !!!.
Then after the turn off, or turn, the screen goes to a *zoom-out* again.

When I fly, I only use, the Compass feature (a big red arrow points the way for me) and a few other windows I *need*, like speed, altitude, glide, time of day and ETA to the next waypoint.

Attached, an example of one of my *flight plans*, from *MapSource*
The *route* is drawn, and it shows all the pertinent data (I need) connected with it.
The 2nd pic, is an example of the track transferred to Google Earth.
The last one is a *road map*.

So a bit of work involved, but rather detailed, I would say !!
Thanks for your comprehensive answer, irman.
You are correct, probably if I use my laptop in combination with the GPS unit , I would get a satisfying solution. I didn't consider transferring the points to the GPS.
What I am interested doing, is getting into the car without much preparations, punching the destination in, and driving off. Now, the Garmin lets me configure either the shortest way, the fastest route, driving on highways, etc. However, in real life, I use a mix of all these options and not one configuration. I drive on highways, I take scenic routes, I am searching for a restaurant, and then, being late, I want the shortest way, (ah, and my wife says "do not forget to stop at Ikea"). Using google maps, I can see the entire route (which starts from CT via NY to NJ). I can drag and drop the route to use a certain bridge (the other is under constructions) then take the scenic road close to the hudson river.
My Garmin unit doesn't let you have a detailed view of the whole area and later change the route on the fly. I mostly see segments detached and isolated from their surroundings.
However, as you say, planning my trip accurately in advance, could get me the results I want.

Last edited by oberon_1; 07-28-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

5,381 posts, read 11,298,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
What I am interested doing, is getting into the car without much preparations, punching the destination in, and driving off. Now, the Garmin lets me configure either the shortest way, the fastest route, driving on highways, etc. However, in real life, I use a mix of all these options and not one configuration.
If you have one of these more *up to date*, hi-end units from Garmin, then punching in other *side routes* may be easy to do ... I think.

With my old unit, punching in a destination is a real pain the butt. So I settled on planning my flights or car trips rather exactly from the start.

Also, my unit *does not speak*, but *rings* at me, so I have to look which way each time a turn comes up.
When I however, use the GPS in my car, connected to my laptop, the *lady* keeps talking to me every time I need to change direction.

BTW, in configuring, the route to take, like you state above, many times, the GPS I have, does not take the route *I* want to take, so I have to add another waypoint !!!!

What would really be nice is a laptop that is touch screen capable, and then you just touch another place or route and the unit would automatically recalculate the route ....
Now that would satisfy your way of traveling !!!!
Maybe something we need to tell Garmin ????

For your info, I attached pic, of the track that my GPS, keeps, and then transferred to Google Earth. Just one of the *legs*, we flew.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS functionality-sat_leg1_gm.jpg   GPS functionality-fri_1957_img_3276_tn.jpg   GPS functionality-fri_2024_hope-i-can-find-way-home_tn.jpg   GPS functionality-sat_1056_kh_11-oclock-not-landing-strip_tn.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 07-28-2009 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or