U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 PM

4,891 posts, read 12,099,721 times

Advertisements

i had a coupon and bought one, but still cant see anything but static on any channel....what am i doing wrong? i have a toddler and we just watch a lot of movies, but i want to be able to see my shows once summer is over---help!

Last edited by 2goldens; 07-31-2009 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 PM

12,763 posts, read 8,252,221 times
I never did anything when they did the switch-over, and now I'm seeing the best stuff I've seen on television in years. Except for those Poltergeist flashbacks!!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM

so you are just using a regualr antenna and getting all the channels?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 AM

12,763 posts, read 8,252,221 times
No, sorry I was making a joke. Check out some of these, maybe they will help, if not try asking in the Science and Technology forum maybe?

YouTube - How to Hook-up a Converter Box to a TV

DTV Answers : Hooking Up Your DTV Converter Box

How to Hook up a Digital Converter Box To an Old TV | eHow.com

Old 07-31-2009, 05:36 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,393,880 times
depending on you location in relativity to the stations out put you might need a stronger Antenna. My sister got an antenna at a dollar store and said it works better then the more expensive one she got a regular store. Me I can get anything on my old antenna and only certain stationson the wrong channels ( ex channel 4-NBC is show on channel 12 which is suppose to be ABC station).

I also know that ABC and PBS are filtering out through UHF waves where all the other stations seem to be on VHF waves. (if I am right) You need to make sure your antenna pick up both waves.

I personally beleive I have to got to a roof top or higher power antenna. I can get most all spanish speaking stations ( why is that? I don't speak spanish). I don't get PBS or ABC ergo I think I need to upgrade my antenna or maybe hit the dollar store.

Last edited by Kerowyn; 07-31-2009 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 AM

thanks!! great news, i might be able to go without paying cable a little longer

Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,959,656 times
You can't just plug those in, and expect them to work.

First make sure it is properly connected. After that you have to make it scan for channels. I'm sure the little instruction book will tell you exactly how to do that with your model.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
You can't just plug those in, and expect them to work.

First make sure it is properly connected. After that you have to make it scan for channels. I'm sure the little instruction book will tell you exactly how to do that with your model.
yes we already did all that--a couple of times. my DH is great with electronics, and it scanned a few channels, which of course dont show. or they do that skipping thing which will proably cause ciezers (joking)....

Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,393,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
yes we already did all that--a couple of times. my DH is great with electronics, and it scanned a few channels, which of course dont show. or they do that skipping thing which will proably cause ciezers (joking)....
does your box show or can you check for signal strength. My does and that is how I know I need a stronger antenna to pull in signals I am always half strenght or less. check that out it might help figure a few things out as well.

Ever time I do a signal/channel search I come up with a different channel to bad is it always the spanish channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics