U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM

6,823 posts, read 8,421,153 times
Yes, and Apple and Microsoft also say their batteries are not use replaceable, yet they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Maybe with it posted twice he'll figure out he was wrong
My bad on that NHD!

I did not look at your link specifically, I just got tired of being lectured to and did the 5 minute google.....

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

832 posts, read 1,885,385 times
I've been looking over the links y'all provided. So it looks like the battery could be replaced, but it would be a pain in the ass.

I ordered one anyway. I like that the storage capacity can be expanded with a memory card.

What's with Amazon's pricing? When I ordered mine yesterday, it was $48.70. Today, it's $52.50.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM

6,823 posts, read 8,421,153 times
They don't design them to be replaceable, they bet that your going to replace it before the battery dies, but if you know a geek it'd be an easy job.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 AM

832 posts, read 1,885,385 times
Between the two of us, the DH and I are probably geek enough to replace it. Having the ability to expand the storage capacity with a memory card means this player might not become obsolete too soon, so it would be good to be able to replace the battery.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,815,305 times
It takes a few years. Just realize that unlike NiMH or NiCd, Li-ion batetries have a problem with evaporation of the (substrate? Electrolytic component layer? I dunno) stuff. They say don't let it FULLY discharge (impossible since the machine needs a certain voltage to run, this is not lie the old tape decks of yesteryear) and not to leave it plugged in too long for charging (the battery will heat up and lose material faster).

Most of these things can have the battery replaced, but I found with my Garmin (700?) that it can be a pain in the butt (it was necessary to re-seat the battery in my unit. It would not turn on!!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics