Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

So I bought a car radio not too long ago that flips open and has an iPod dock inside the dash. However, I just realized iPhones don't fit inside, but many of my friends have them. Does anyone know of a cable that plugs into an iPod dock on one end and the 3.5mm jack of iPhones or any other devices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default We don't have a clue what fits where..............

We don't even know what you really got.

There are so many variations in cables and connectors, your car might be different that the six parked in front of you. Standarization is not the norm.

Check with Radio Shack. Maybe you can get whatever cable is required. If not, what you can get are adapter kits that make any plug / jack combination compatible with any other plug / jack combo.

Just bring as much with you as possible. The array of what plugs to what, seems to be overwhelming in endless choices. At some point it is hard to judge is this going to fit from memory.

Going from a smaller plug to a bigger jack is even possible. H,mmm did I get that right, just thinking about it is mind boggling.

And yeah, they typically make you buy it to try it. Some displays with have lil samples tacked to a board, why you want to bring everything as much as possible.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
If your car stero has a 3.5mm aux jack you can use one of these, I haven't found one that does what your asking.

ZIP-AUDIO-IP1-B iPod/iPhone Retractable Stereo 3.5mm to iPod/iPhone Dock Connector (White), Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
If you could dig up a pinout for the connector that your iPhone uses then I am sure we could help you wire something up.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
I think you guys are misunderstanding OP. Her friend's iPhone has a 3.5mm OUT and her stereo has an iPod dock connector IN. Very simply, it's impossible to connect these. The stereo is expecting an iPod to be connected to the dock connector and if one isn't found, the stereo won't play any music through that connector.

What's bizarre about this is that I didn't even know they made car stereos with an iPod dock and no 3.5mm IN. To OP, are you sure you don't have a 3.5mm in on your stereo? How about USB? What model car radio is this? It may have a 3.5mm IN jack around the back of the radio.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I think you guys are misunderstanding OP. Her friend's iPhone has a 3.5mm OUT and her stereo has an iPod dock connector IN. Very simply, it's impossible to connect these. The stereo is expecting an iPod to be connected to the dock connector and if one isn't found, the stereo won't play any music through that connector.

What's bizarre about this is that I didn't even know they made car stereos with an iPod dock and no 3.5mm IN. To OP, are you sure you don't have a 3.5mm in on your stereo? How about USB? What model car radio is this? It may have a 3.5mm IN jack around the back of the radio.
Not at all, that's why I recommended the cable I did, the one she describes, from what I can find, doesn't exist.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 PM

I have this one.

Hands on with the Fusion iPod car stereo | Entertainment & HDTV | Macworld Video | Macworld
Fusion's iPod car stereo head unit wants to eat your mp3 player (http://www.thetechlounge.com/news/13364/Fusions-iPod-car-stereo-head-unit-wants-to-eat-your-mp3-player/ - broken link)

The inputs are "Radio", "iPod", and "Auxillary." How do I get the "Auxillary"? There's other plugs or outlets.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Got it. OK, it's got REAR RCA jacks. You have to connect a wire to the back of the radio, but it's pretty easy. I don't know how experienced you are with car stereos so I'll just walk you through it.

Here's what you want to do. Go to Radio Shack or Walmart and get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, like this one:

6-Ft. 1/8" Stereo to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-cable - RadioShack.com

Take off the face of the radio. Then use the metal removal tools that came with the stereo, insert one into each side of the radio, and pull to take it out of the dash.

When it's out far enough, you should see a wiring harness with a bunch of plugs. Two should be labeled "Aux". If you can't figure out which ones are the Aux plugs, consult your manual. Plug the red part of the cable you bought into the red plug in the harness, and the white part of the cable you bought into the white part of the harness.

Then run the other end of the cable into the glove box or another place where you can easily get to it. Plug in your iPhone and you should be good to go.

On a side note, that's a really interesting stereo. I've never seen them before. I checked on the website and there's only one place to get them in my entire state!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM

Cool. Thanks. I'm not too good with that stuff, but I think some of my friends know how.

And yeah I know. I just thought it was cool and liked how you can control the iPod through the knob on the radio. I didn't know it was the only one of its kind until I looked it up for you guys. Haha.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM

There are a lot of stereos that have iPod control through the radio knobs, but this is the only one I've seen that "eats" the iPod. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics