U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM

4,227 posts, read 20,314,772 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to buy our first non CRT style TV this upcoming year. We want one that will last us a long time and will give us a good picture.

So far the salesman at Sears said Sonys were the best followed by Samsung, but I don't know if he was just saying that to make a sale on a particular brand that doesn't sell well or what.

Also we weren't sure on LCD or plasma but again from what we were told, plasma is good for if you watch sports or action films due to the refresh rate but an LCD was an "all around" one. Does this sound correct?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,218,368 times
I don't buy anything from Sony, on general principle. I specifically don't buy TV's from Wal-Mart, due to their own "special Wal-Mart models" that have different model numbers than all the other retailers. That's all I can contribute. I bought an LG and am very happy with it.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,369,683 times
I would probably consider Sony, Panasonic, and maybe Samsung. Sharp and LG as also considered pretty good. However, you need to get a mid range or higher LCD to have a picture that is as good as plasma. Plasma is heavier and uses more energy than LCD and generally has cooling fans, so in the long run LCD is more practical. In LCD you just need to get a 120Hz or faster unit, and hopefully a dynamic LED backlit unit to compete with plasma picture. Low end LCD has more picture issues with fast motion and the contrast for dark colors is not so good.

It's going to depend on the size and how much you want to spend. You might see some deals on Black Friday.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,423 posts, read 32,243,883 times
Buy the best one you can afford that comes with a good manufacturer's warranty. Repairs can be expensive. Understand that whatever you buy this year will be discontinued and replaced in the lineup by a better model next year.

I'm happy with my Sony.

If you're buying a big screen, the two things to look for are 1080p resolution and 120Hz scan rate.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM

I told the wife I wanted nothing smaller than a 40 inch, so I don't know if that exactly means a big screen or not.

Ditto on black Friday, we actually have considered that, except we were going to use our tax return money to buy one. But we could still apply for a card.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,423 posts, read 32,243,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I told the wife I wanted nothing smaller than a 40 inch, so I don't know if that exactly means a big screen or not.

Ditto on black Friday, we actually have considered that, except we were going to use our tax return money to buy one. But we could still apply for a card.
That size qualifies as big. 32" or less is less likely to be available with both 1080p and 120Hz, because it makes less of a difference in the quality of the picture.

Plasma uses more electricity than LCD. If you live in California, sales of plasma will soon be banned there because of that energy consumption issue. If you live where you need air conditioning, LCD will produce less heat than plasma, so you'll save a bit on air conditioning while the TV is on.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Also don't LCD's make heat too. Everytime I'm around those newer TV's the room seems a tad bit warmer.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,937,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My wife and I are going to buy our first non CRT style TV this upcoming year. We want one that will last us a long time and will give us a good picture.

So far the salesman at Sears said Sonys were the best followed by Samsung, but I don't know if he was just saying that to make a sale on a particular brand that doesn't sell well or what.

Also we weren't sure on LCD or plasma but again from what we were told, plasma is good for if you watch sports or action films due to the refresh rate but an LCD was an "all around" one. Does this sound correct?

Thanks!
We too are looking to upgrade in Feb to our first Hd tv, we are looking at Samsungs and Vizios. We thought the Sony's didn't look quite as sharp as the Samsungs or Vizios. The guy at Best Buy told us if you are going to put the tv in a room with very little light the plasma is best but if you have alot of light the LCD is best. The plasma is a well light room shows alot of reflections. However my father in law was telling us that plasmas are really expensive to fix should they break, if I were getting a plasma I would probably get an extended warranty just to be sure. I love the picture on the plasma's but since the area the tv will be going in is well lit we will go with an LCD.

I would recommend going to Best Buy and having one of their reps show you the differences, we didn't get pressured to buy anything but they were really informative. They also sent us home with a packet of things to look at and prices if you wanted them to set it up. You might also check out consumer reports, they have magazine specifically for electronics. Also if you look at some tv's on some of the stores online they have customer reviews which can give you some idea of problems.

Good luck in making this decision.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM

4,970 posts, read 14,014,533 times
I have two Panasonic LCDs. One 32" 720p & one 37" 1080p. I found a 40" 1080p Panasonic LCD and was ready to go right out and buy it until I saw the refresh rate was 60hz. My 37" is 120hz. Why would Panasonic do that?

Several people have posted online about power supply problems with their LCD tvs. My 32" Panasonic is also having a problem turning on. Most people posted that their tvs seem to develop this problem after the one year warranty has expired. After researching online, I have found the most common problem (regardless of brand) is faulty power supply circuitry. The most common advice given is to replace the defective capacitors. In my two hours of looking online, the only well-known brand I didn't see when researching this problem was Sony. But I did find Sony customers complaining about picture problems with their tvs. So, I guess it's a crapshoot as to which brand to pick because none of them will last as long as the ol' CRTs did.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,369,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Buy the best one you can afford that comes with a good manufacturer's warranty. Repairs can be expensive. Understand that whatever you buy this year will be discontinued and replaced in the lineup by a better model next year.
I think most standard warranties are 1 year. However, Costco will give you 2 years on most models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics