Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 11:52 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving in about half a year. I saw there's some great deals for Black Friday, and also on Amazon, they have great deals for GPS's (especially the one I'm interested in - The Garmin 765t)

My question is, should I wait until before I move to buy a GPS, or are the deals too good now that I won't be able to get that price once the time comes to move?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
What does moving have to do with it?

If you have the money, get it now.
If you don't, don't.

I really like my Garmin!
Oregon 400t

Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 PM

The whole reason I'm planning on getting a GPS is because of the fact that I'm moving across the country. Also, it'll help me with getting more familiar with the roads.

I have the money now, but it's not a money thing. I don't necessarily NEED it at this moment. It's a timeframe thing - 5-7 months is a long time for technology! I'm wondering if these huge cuts on prices I'm seeing on GPS's (such as the Garmin Nuvi 765t going for $209 w/ free shipping) will last or not? Am I better off buying it now, or if I buy that same exact GPS in around 5 months, will it still be around the $209 price range?

The reason I'm asking is because there's some people who are more versed with GPS's than me.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Hey all, I'm moving in about half a year.
How many streets you think will change in 6 months ?

So it should not be obsolescence that may stop you ..?
I am using TOPO maps from 6 years back ... (for exploring the wilderness)
I doubt if the mountains changed or moved in all those years.

Cost .... answered above ....

Old 11-26-2009, 08:39 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
Quote:
The whole reason I'm planning on getting a GPS is because of the fact that I'm moving across the country. Also, it'll help me with getting more familiar with the roads.

I have the money now, but it's not a money thing. I don't necessarily NEED it at this moment. It's a timeframe thing - 5-7 months is a long time for technology! I'm wondering if these huge cuts on prices I'm seeing on GPS's (such as the Garmin Nuvi 765t going for $209 w/ free shipping) will last or not? Am I better off buying it now, or if I buy that same exact GPS in around 5 months, will it still be around the $209 price range?

The reason I'm asking is because there's some people who are more versed with GPS's than me.
I'm not moving anywhere and yet I use mine all the time

Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:

Well, if that is all you want it for, a map will work fine. And you can get them free if you belong to AAA.
They will even plan the route for you for free - ask for a TripTik.

If you are not a member... membership is way cheaper than a GPS.

Of course, there's maps.google.com too.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
How many streets you think will change in 6 months ?

So it should not be obsolescence that may stop you ..?
It's not obsolescence of streets that worries me, (though the Phoenix area, which I'm moving to, is a high growth area which means there would be new streets with new subdivisions and whatnot) it's the obsolescence of technology.

Basically, it's that I'm wondering (from someone who has followed GPS technology), if technology in a GPS is going to change much in the next few months for them to come out with a new model (which could possibly drive the costs of the units I'm looking at now down), OR if they (meaning prices) stay pretty static no matter what?

I've never looked into GPS units until last weekend when I actually used one hands on, so I don't really know all too much about them.

Last edited by acrylic; 11-26-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:20 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
The GPS market has been very volatile in both technology and price for a least the past 2 years. What ever you buy today will probably be cheaper in a couple of months and the model you purchased will have been superseded by a model with more bells, lights and horns (features.)

Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
OP, my sister gave me her GPS when I left a smaller area in the south for Chicagoland.

It is a must, IMO. I mostly used mine to get familiar with the area and for traveling to and fro while I got settled. I didn't need bells and whistles. I just needed it to be generally accurate.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,821 times
I found a great black Friday deal on a Tom Tom GPS system. Was able to get it for my son for $99...originally priced $250. I personally have a Garmin which does the job just fine for what I use it for. I think I don't know how to access all the features so that's why some aspects seem more complicated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics