U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,784,756 times

Advertisements

"Go Navis"

Navis is known as the "difficult-to-ship" expert.

They do accept electronics and will pick up at your home and deliver anywhere in the nation (and globally).

I shipped a 500-lb. vintage appliance from California using Navis. No one else would touch it. They loaded it onto a wood pallet, padded it with bubble wrap, then taped cardboard around it and shrink-wrapped the entire thing. In about two weeks, it arrived in Atlanta as promised in perfect condition at a cost of just over $600. The courteous truck driver placed it inside my garage, moving it with a pallet jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM

562 posts, read 1,980,027 times
What a pain in the ass this is. A lot worse than I thought.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,545,687 times
You may want to sell it with the house or donate it to a local public retirement home or hospital and then put the money you save and value you write-off toward a new projector. The HD LCD and DLP projectors come with a carrying case and will give you a 100" picture no problem. It IS a good excuse, particularly if there is an SO-factor to consider.

"Think about it honey, we're doing a good deed, saving a lot of hassle, and the projector will be tiny! Can put it on a shelf, hide the screen in the ceiling, never know it was there!"

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 PM

I'm still paying off this TV.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,545,687 times
Oh.

Well.... looks like U-Haul, Navis, or UPS then. Pick your poison, there are no easy answers to this. I have a 46' RPTV and am facing the same issue.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 AM

90 posts, read 355,919 times
I have bought and sold a lot of high-end audio equipment including speakers and without the original packaging there is no inexpensive way to ship it and packaging something this size can get costly. If the size were smaller I would suggest Greyhound but I don't think they will handle anything this size.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM

What a nightmare, you would think there would be a better solution for this. Two guys on eBay are selling my TV and are charging around $130 for shipping so I e-mailed them to see what they are doing.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:07 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,938,078 times
I don't have any suggestions for the packing and shipping but I'm thinking:
How old is this TV? How much did it cost originally?
The prices on these TVs has dropped soooooooo much it's not even funny. It almost makes me compare it to real estate. Two or three years ago, you might have paid $5K and today it costs $1500. Trust me. I have several (5) LCD HDTVs, ranging from 15" to 46". I had a 50" recently which I actually returned and got the 46" - matter of space.

But, wouldn't you be better off trying to sell it and getting a new one in Washington? Put it on e-bay "for pick up only". I've sold large items like that on E-Bay (appliances and furniture). If you do it just below market rate, you might get a quick buyer.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 AM

It is too late to sell it and I paid $2,500 total just a year ago while paying for a three-year warranty. Selling is not an option, I would owe more than I could sell it for.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,938,078 times
Think about it Shadow. It might be worth selling it for "something". Use that to try to pay off the balance if you can. It sounds like it'll be too much hassle and aggravation trying to get it cross-country and, in the end, it will have cost you the travel/shipping AND you'll still owe money.
Chuck it off to experience. Those extended warranties are a bunch of lies and traps.

Well, good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or