U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM

302 posts, read 979,580 times

Advertisements

Here is a thought......seeing you are out of Options.

Strap the 52" TV to the Top of your car and set off on your way. Get on the highway doing a decent speed ( now you can go over 55, unlike a trailer ) and SLAM ON THOSE BRAKES!!

This will be the last time you Watch your TV!

Then simply call your auto insurance company and put in a claim.

Best of Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,938,674 times
There you go Cuse! Nothing like a little insurance fraud advice. Anything to help out a friend. :-))

Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,266,189 times
Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane! It's HDTV! Cuse, you deserve something for that. What? I'm not quite sure, but definitely something!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,529,361 times
I wouldn't drive or tow ANYTHING U Haul rents over 25 mph. All the other truck/trailer rental places are fine, from my experience.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,506,908 times
Have you tried calling the store where you bought it to see if they'll ship/transport it for you? I know it's not a ski machine, but, Nordic Track used to offer this service 20-yrs ago for a reasonable fee. If you didn't have the original box (we couldn't get it home in the car trunk with the box, so left it behind at the store) they'd supply one. It can't hurt to ask. If they say no, I'm sure you're not the only one to move one. Perhaps they can recommend a shipper they commonly use?

Good luck... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I wouldn't drive or tow ANYTHING U Haul rents over 25 mph.
Why, Chief? Trucks aren't maintained?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Why, Chief? Trucks aren't maintained?
They have the oldest (by far) fleet of ANY you-drive rental company. They do shoddy maintenance on their equipment. When the road service guy came out to change the tire (on my SECOND blowout on a trip from ID to IN), he told me that the Ford Econoline vans they rent weren't spec'ed properly with Heavy Duty chassis, steering and other components commonly found on trucks purchased for commercial use. Many of the International medium duty trucks are more than 20 years old (S-Series) Oddly enough, I've found their breakdown service rather good. Condition of equipment and attitude/appearance of some of their folks at the rental centers have been a sore point for me, though... Anyone renting a truck should compare features; I compared notes at a motel with a guy who rented a U Haul Chevy 26' van (I had a Penske International 26' van) Mine had cruise control, his didn't

Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
They have the oldest (by far) fleet of ANY you-drive rental company. They do shoddy maintenance on their equipment. When the road service guy came out to change the tire (on my SECOND blowout on a trip from ID to IN), he told me that the Ford Econoline vans they rent weren't spec'ed properly with Heavy Duty chassis, steering and other components commonly found on trucks purchased for commercial use. Many of the International medium duty trucks are more than 20 years old (S-Series) Oddly enough, I've found their breakdown service rather good. Condition of equipment and attitude/appearance of some of their folks at the rental centers have been a sore point for me, though... Anyone renting a truck should compare features; I compared notes at a motel with a guy who rented a U Haul Chevy 26' van (I had a Penske International 26' van) Mine had cruise control, his didn't
Thank you for your input. Good idea to compare features. Before you wrote this, I'd only have compared prices, thinking they were all the same. I had a friend who was a truck driver (stick hauler was the phrase he used) for a period of time & I went out with him on a trip from MS to Fitchburg, MA, just for fun. He worked for a company that was known for it's old, uncomfortable trucks (Buckhead, or something similar) & I've gotta' tell ya', 3 days in that bumpy old thing & my ears rang continually for 2 days afterward & when we would stop, every organ in my body felt like it had been through a blender. Just bloody awful. I almost felt as if I'd been in a car accident. Don't know how you guys do it. My hat's off to you.

Thanks, Chief... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM

562 posts, read 1,980,085 times
A lot of good info, I should be figuring this out within a few days.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Thank you for your input. Good idea to compare features. Before you wrote this, I'd only have compared prices, thinking they were all the same. I had a friend who was a truck driver (stick hauler was the phrase he used) for a period of time & I went out with him on a trip from MS to Fitchburg, MA, just for fun. He worked for a company that was known for it's old, uncomfortable trucks (Buckhead, or something similar) & I've gotta' tell ya', 3 days in that bumpy old thing & my ears rang continually for 2 days afterward & when we would stop, every organ in my body felt like it had been through a blender. Just bloody awful. I almost felt as if I'd been in a car accident. Don't know how you guys do it. My hat's off to you.

Thanks, Chief... VV
Your welcome! I'm glad you got to see what it's like in a big truck; wish every one who drives could! Sorry you didn't get to ride in one of the new air-rdeeverything (seats, cab, suspension) A world of difference! Thanks for the kudos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or