U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:43 AM

562 posts, read 1,980,085 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Washington at the end of this month and we have very little worth keeping so we're just driving our car up with all of our belongings and buying a new bed up there rather than renting a truck that we wouldn't even use most of the space. The only thing worth keeping is our new 52" HDTV. It's heavy and large.

I could obviously use UPS or a number of providers, but I think there are people that would specialize in this kind of thing. Who is the cheapest and who is the best? What are your experiences and what was the cost? I will definitely want to get it insured for about $2,000 - $2,500. I don't care how slow it is but I would prefer it get there safely, and I would need it packed up and boxed properly by someone else, that isn't something I could do. Any help would be great, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,545,852 times
U-Haul it. They lease small enclosed trailers and there shouldn't be a problem with the weight limit for most cars.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
U-Haul it. They lease small enclosed trailers and there shouldn't be a problem with the weight limit for most cars.
Don't those require a trailer hitch? As far as I know you also aren't supposed to go over 45MPH with those. I have a 2005 Honda Accord. Would it really be cheaper than shipping it? Seems more expensive, a hassle, and I'm not sure if it would work with my car.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,545,852 times
Yeah, you'd need a hitch, but the speed limit with them is now 55mph. Not great, but managable. My big concern is how carefully it's handled. You could ship UPS or USPS but you'd need to get it crated to their shipping standards. Shipping companies will come to your home and do the crating for you and deliver it to UPS.

You can get an estimate of the cost from UPS Freight. FYI, the estimated crated weight of a 52" rear projector is about 120 lbs. I'd call them and see. Be sure to have the pick-up and delivery zip codes on hand and let them know it's going to a residence. They will also want an estimate of the floor space the crate will occupy as well and for that assume to add 10" on each dimension (5" each left, right, front, back).

Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Does anyone have more opinions/options? I'm looking for a variety of choices so that I can compare the prices.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM

155 posts, read 884,836 times
The other thing that comes to mind would be a regular moving co. Either way I think it's not going to be cheap.

IMHO I would look into u haul. For the price of a hitch and trailer rental I don't think you can beat it.

Mabey with schools closing you could find a college kid heading your way with a pick up truck that would do it for a couple bucks.

Just thoughts, good luck

Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,119,300 times
Those Uhaul trailers have a ride quality not unlike the litttle red wagon you had as a kid going down the sidewalk...remember those expansion strips ? I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with a pile of parts inside the trailer when you get there.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,400,904 times
Why not rent a cargo van, put the TV in the back and pile the rest of your stuff into your car and tow the car with the van? Most of the rental places should be able to accommodate that.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Why not rent a cargo van, put the TV in the back and pile the rest of your stuff into your car and tow the car with the van? Most of the rental places should be able to accommodate that.
Because that costs far more than shipping just a TV.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:28 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,836,268 times
Default The packing may be an issue

Many shipping companies like UPS or whatever might require the original shipping carton. They do for all electronics like computers, TV's, monitors, etc..

I would just rent a small van or truck. Just the cost of proper packing will probably be fairly expensive. It probably came originally on some type of shipping pallet built into the box. The best bet is to put ads looking for somebody going that way with a truck who does not have a full load. You do not say how much it weighs. If I was a shipper, would want nothing to do with it, if not in its original packing crate. Too much of a chance an insurance claim.

Best bet is to rent a vehicle just large enough to transport it or some type of trailer. You sort of want the impossible. Cheap but with the proper care and method employed by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or