Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,092 times

Advertisements

I've read some other forums and many say they would not because the iPod is a "high ticket item" and many of these people have probably had bad experiences or know someone who has had a bad experience purchasing from auction type sites such as eBay.

However, there are some potentially really great deals to be had on eBay..

A.) I'm not looking for the "state of the art" iPod here. I currently own a 2GB 1st Generation iPod nano, and I just need to upgrade to something that will hold alot more music. A 2nd or 3rd generation with anything more than 2GB capacity would be better than what I have now.

B.) I believe that anyone with common sense would not pay a large sum of money to an eBay user who has less than 100 feedbacks and less than, oh say...85-95% positive rating. And, well...I would like to believe that I have common sense.

I've heard the same story.. "I sent my money after I won the auction..it's been 6 months and I still haven't received the item/heard back from the seller". Do people really have this problem with "power sellers" (those with 100% positive rating and 200-500+ feedbacks)??

So has anyone here had an experience buying any similar electronic device on eBay or other sites? How did it turn out for you? What are your thoughts/opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I've read some other forums and many say they would not because the iPod is a "high ticket item" and many of these people have probably had bad experiences or know someone who has had a bad experience purchasing from auction type sites such as eBay.

However, there are some potentially really great deals to be had on eBay..

A.) I'm not looking for the "state of the art" iPod here. I currently own a 2GB 1st Generation iPod nano, and I just need to upgrade to something that will hold alot more music. A 2nd or 3rd generation with anything more than 2GB capacity would be better than what I have now.

B.) I believe that anyone with common sense would not pay a large sum of money to an eBay user who has less than 100 feedbacks and less than, oh say...85-95% positive rating. And, well...I would like to believe that I have common sense.

I've heard the same story.. "I sent my money after I won the auction..it's been 6 months and I still haven't received the item/heard back from the seller". Do people really have this problem with "power sellers" (those with 100% positive rating and 200-500+ feedbacks)??

So has anyone here had an experience buying any similar electronic device on eBay or other sites? How did it turn out for you? What are your thoughts/opinions?
Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it at E-Bay. After all, a new 8GB iPod Nano (with the Apple warranty) costs $149.00 at the local stores. In fact, you can buy it from The Apple Store, and they engrave your name on it free of charge.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,547 times
i looked at buying one off ebay when the 3rd gen nano's first came out. the prices were just too close to what i would pay at the store (where i would have complete peace of mind). If you see an absolute steal, i'd say go for it.

i've never had any problems on ebay, and if i'm not mistaken they have buyer protection up to $200; ebay will reimburse you if you never receive the item. i would double check the terms on that though.

i bought the 8gig 3rd nano at best buy and the only thing i regret is buying one so small. its amazing how fast they fill up, especially if you have a movie or two on there.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:09 PM

905 posts, read 2,399,970 times
If you have a good phone, a 8gb or 16gb micro sdhc cards can be had for cheap and work as good as an ipod, without using crappy itunes. You can get the 16gbs now on amazon for 53 bucks, not bad and 16gbs of music should keep you going for a while. Of course if you want the 80gb or whatever then you'll need the ipod, but I think they are overrated really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics