Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

We tried going the cell phone only route when we first moved here but then I missed having my fax machine so conveniently located on my desk. We tried something else which didn't work and eventually got a landline so I could have my fax. now I'm wondering if what we unsucccessfully tried was not the right thing. So do I need a land line to have a fax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Why don't you try using this service? Internet Fax - Online Fax To Email Service - MyFax.com

It was the most reasonably priced one I could find that would give me a permanent fax number with a 919 area code. I don't use it very often, but I've been happy with it every time I have.

I believe you can use your existing fax machine with it (I generally scan stuff I need to fax).

No phone line is necessary for this service.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
I use a similar thing - eFax - Internet Fax to Email Services. If you don't mind a long distance number, it's free. You pay a small fee for a local number.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
If you're willing to spend a bit of money, you can always go the VoIP route and get a free phone number over the Internet. You would need a regular fax, a VoIP SIP Gateway with Analog Telephone Adapter (such as the CISCO ATA-186, for a cost of about $90), and your High Speed Internet Connection to get started.

You can then sign up for a VoIP service (there are tons of free ones out there). You can try IPKALL, Voxalot, Powerphone, Joi Phone, or Via Talk as your VoIP service providers (IPKALL will give you a Washington State phone number and you can receive all the calls you want, just have to pay to make calls). Or, you can even hook up your ATA to a service like Majic Jack, so you get phone service for $20 a year.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
If you're willing to spend a bit of money, you can always go the VoIP route and get a free phone number over the Internet. You would need a regular fax, a VoIP SIP Gateway with Analog Telephone Adapter (such as the CISCO ATA-186, for a cost of about $90), and your High Speed Internet Connection to get started.

You can then sign up for a VoIP service (there are tons of free ones out there). You can try IPKALL, Voxalot, Powerphone, Joi Phone, or Via Talk as your VoIP service providers (IPKALL will give you a Washington State phone number and you can receive all the calls you want, just have to pay to make calls). Or, you can even hook up your ATA to a service like Majic Jack, so you get phone service for $20 a year.
Using a fax machine on a VOIP phone line can be very frustrating. Some people say they have no problems, but many do. I have followed all the online suggestions for settings and mine seems to work very well most of the time, except when I have an important fax to send or receive.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Using a fax machine on a VOIP phone line can be very frustrating. Some people say they have no problems, but many do. I have followed all the online suggestions for settings and mine seems to work very well most of the time, except when I have an important fax to send or receive.
I agree. VoIP and fax can be an unpredictable combination. Fax is a technology that really needs to go away in this digital age. I've been happy to observe that more businesses I work with are offering me the choice to receive documents by email.

If I had an ongoing reason to receive faxes, I'd definitely go with one of the fax-to-email services.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
We currently have a fax server (hylafax) and a standard fax machine sharing a POTS line. Our business (home based) is centered on faxing, and we send/receive 1000+ pages a month. We only use the land line for outbound faxing, though.

For inbound, we primarily use MetroFax, which is far and away the best deal going on fax->email service. We also have a MyFax account as a backup, as well as a 3rd fax->email number that we got from our VoIP provider (Vitelity).

For the OP (which is from January! ), I would recommend MetroFax. MyFax is good - higher quality on the received faxes - but if you are sending more than 100 pages/mo, or receiving more than 200, MetroFax is the way to go.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Or, you can even hook up your ATA to a service like Majic Jack, so you get phone service for $20 a year.
There ya go.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 AM

86 posts, read 326,165 times
I also tried sending fax through VoIP and it's a hit and miss affair. I ended up signing up with Onesuite Fax service which I'm already using it's VoIP service (the same service I tried for sending faxes).

Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 59,002 times
I have used MyFax.com in the past and they were fine to receive faxes. The problem for me was when I sent faxes the recipient often could not open the fax. Happened so often (despite adjustments on my end and great customer service from MyFax.com) that I dropped the service.

HAS ANYONE FAXED FROM THE MAGICJACK????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics