U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

67 posts, read 212,081 times

Advertisements

Unless you need a GPS system for work I would just stick to using a cheap foldable map like NewUser suggested. It can be a little frustrating for a while, but it’s not impossible. Save your money; you’ll need it to get your tags, inspection sticker, and renters insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,045,859 times
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and without that thing we would not have seen half of the things we saw when we were visiting the Triangle area. It is amazing. So much easier than trying to navigate around a strange and unfamiliar area with a map. I'll be using it a lot when we move.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,861,302 times
Default So how long did you use your GPS?

Trying to decide if I can justify the cost. For those with a GPS how long did you use it after you moved? First 6 months? Still use it? Rely on it heavily or occassionall after the first 3 months? Any feedback on how often you use it and how long it was useful for you would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

BTW, I bet you realtors use it all the time, but wondering about folks who are just doing normal daily traveling. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 PM

5,437 posts, read 15,618,501 times
Like I said in my original post. . . . used if for a few weeks before the novelty wore off. Now it sits in the kitchen junk drawer.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,163,193 times
Well, I wish I had it when I first moved here because I would have used it tons. Just finding the grocery store was a chore because so many trees were blocking my view! Also, I was used to a grid road system, so the Triangle was like a big bowl of spaghetti to me (and still is, honestly).

Now that I've lived here for a year, I don't need my GPS as much, but I still use it a couple of times a month. It's just a wonderful thing to have any time I head to a new part of town. And since the Triangle is so big, a whole lot of it is still new to me.

I think the most important thing is that my GPS has improved my confidence in a way that a map couldn't. I used maps before (including print-out directions from Google) and still got lost. But with my GPS, I always have help and I will always be able to find my way home. That peace of mind is well worth the money, in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM

18 posts, read 65,176 times
We moved here 2 months ago and we still use the GPS when going someplace new on the weekends. I can't live without one now.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 AM
mdm

78 posts, read 362,485 times
We've been here for about 6 months and I still get disoriented every now and then! The Verizon Wireless "VZ Navigator" service is wonderful, and it's only $10/month or $1.99 for a single day's use.

What's great is that you don't need a separate GPS device. The program runs right on your phone, which you probably carry with you at all times anyway. It provides audible turn-by-turn directions, maps, and even a "search" option. So if you need to find a gas station, restaurant, etc. wherever you are, it will find the nearest ones and show you how to get there.

I love it!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,380,388 times
I've lived here a few years now, and never use our GPS... in Durham. When I go to Raleigh or other points east of RDU or NC 55, it comes out all of the time.

We bought a TomTom Go and really love its interface and ease of use/readability. The maps tend to be more out-of-date than NAVTEQ (?)-based systems, but we also don't have the latest maps installed, either.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM

578 posts, read 2,856,614 times
I have a Motorola Q and use Google Maps Mobile. Not a true GPS but it's close, and it's free assuming you have some sort of unlimited broadband cell phone plan. I do beleive you can get BlueTooth GPS accessories to turn it into a true voice-prompted GPS device but I haven't explorered that.

Downside to my current use is it's not handsfree or voice prompted. You have to press 1/3 to go back/forth in the step-by-step directions and actually look at the screen to read the directions. You're not going to be doing that alone in your car while driving.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:56 PM

67 posts, read 196,928 times
I am relo-ing to the area in a few weeks. While house hunting with my relator, he always had the TomTom ONE. I really liked the device and it was only $300. It worked perfectly! I hear allot about the Garmin 350, but is it worth the extra $$$? I know coming to the area, I will not be without a GPS. Its not just about the driving, but all the other cool things like hiking and geocaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics