U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:42 PM

217 posts, read 742,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidorelo07 View Post
I am relo-ing to the area in a few weeks. While house hunting with my relator, he always had the TomTom ONE. I really liked the device and it was only $300. It worked perfectly! I hear allot about the Garmin 350, but is it worth the extra $$$? I know coming to the area, I will not be without a GPS. Its not just about the driving, but all the other cool things like hiking and geocaching.

Another fellow geocacher! That's great. Isn't is so much fun! And the kids love it. It gets us out and enjoying nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM

65 posts, read 250,166 times
I just purchased one from HSN serves the pupose only paid about 400. I donot know if its a good one, but it does have voice directions which I thing comes in handy when traveling by yourself.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM

1,653 posts, read 3,045,299 times
I finally got a GPS. I ended up choosing the Garmin nuvi 350. I got it at PC Nation for $360, and it has the brand new maps that were just updated in the past couple of weeks.

It is a wonderful thing! The best money I ever spent was on laser surgery to correct my vision. However, the Garmin is a close second! It is amazing, and the peace of mind it is providing me is worth the money.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:08 PM

247 posts, read 559,084 times
Default Happy with TOMTOM GO300 (now $199)

I have been using it for 3 years and have travelled all over country with it.
I don't use PAPER MAPS anymore. If I waon't to study an area, I use Google Earth. In my car I use TOMTOM.

I originally paid $560 in early 2005. I see it is now available under $200.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:13 AM

241 posts, read 839,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Several people posted how essential a GPS system is in the Triangle. I started looking at them and found a wide variety of brands and prices. Is there an advantage to a more expensive GPS? What would you recommend in terms of brand and price?

Thanks!
We are in Raleigh right now for the first time. we brought our Magellan Roadmate with us. we have not updated the software in a long time. we've been extremely lost this whole trip because our unit doesn't know that 1/2 of these roads exist! my fiance calls the roadmate the best gift anyone has ever given him, ever, but on this trip we'vewanted to smash it so, i would recommend the road mate but be sure you have acess to a computer and usb port so you can do updates periodically.
we are purchasing a $7.95 map today

Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM

3,901 posts, read 9,660,493 times
My wife and myself have Garmin Nuvi 350's. They are great and I cannot imagine going back to not having one!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,861 times
Hi my husband has a Garmin with traffic. The model # is 660. We are moving to Raleigh and when we visited there we brought it with us; we couldn't have gotten along without it. I know that before we move we are getting another one for me. I can highly recommend this model.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 PM

38 posts, read 229,574 times
My husband and I have a MIO. We pay just $199 and we love it. A GPS could be very useful if you are not familiarized with the area. You can check a used one on the internet or an open box on the stores, they are usually cheaper.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM

404 posts, read 2,467,668 times
do you pay a one time fee for the machine or a monthly fee -how much?
thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM

140 posts, read 574,433 times
I have had a TomTom (provided by work) and used a Nuvi (easy to use but waay over priced) but currently own a MIO C310x & MIO C520. The Mio cost me $150. It uses the same Navtec maps that Tom Tom used and the user interface is a color touch screen and easy to use. It also has a built in MP3 player but I never use that feature since I have Sirius installed in my car.

The big difference in GPS systems is the maps they use/# of POI(points of interest) (Teleatlas, NAVtec, ect) and the ability to do text to speach (read the street names) otherwise when getting directions you hear "Take next left in 1000 feet" VS "Take next left on Adams street".I got used to llooking at the screen to check the name of the street so to me text to speach was not worth the extra $200 premium but thats your choice.

You should try to get the most up to date maps with any GPS you buy. Current maps are 2007.1, but I have 2006.5 in my older C310x and they have just about the same streets with only a few new stores listed on my newer model.

I have found that features like Bluetooth linking (where your GPS finds the store you were looking for and dials the number VIA your bluetooth phone are just worthless.)

I highly suggest getting one as they do make you better driver in that you can focus on the road and not some crumpled paper map. Also Sunday drives in a new area take on a whole new meaning when you can truly try to explore and get lost knowing your GPS will always get you home.

You pay no monthly fee's at all, only fee's you may pay are for software updates or map updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics