U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM

308 posts, read 592,564 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I received an Ipod Nano as a gift a few years ago which I never used. I think its a 2006 version so I guess this would be a 2nd generation. Anyhow, the only time the ipod turns on is when its connected to the computer via the usb, but as soon as I remove the usb from the ipod it shuts down and I cant turn it back on again apart from the usb connection. The only time the ipod works is when its connected to the computer. This is after the icon on the ipod screen shows that its suppose to be fully charged. The battery doesnt appear to keep a charge. Would this battery be dead even if it hasnt been used in 3 or 4 years? Please advise before I toss this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

It appears that my Ipod battery is dead even though I never used this thing in the 3 years I had it.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,343,279 times
Yeah, it's junk. You can't replace the batteries.

If you have any kids around interested in electronics, you can give them that and a screwdriver and let them dissect it to see what's inside.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Hey scarmig,

How come the battery would be dead even though I never used it? Does the lifespan of this type of battery depend on age regardless of usage? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,343,279 times
I'm assuming you've left it attached to the USB port for several hours and it still does not work when not plugged in. (The USB port charges the battery).

Batteries are based on chemical reactions. That chemical reaction is always happening. It happens faster when there is a connection between the poles, but even through air there is a slight discharge going on. Over time, the battery dies. Sometimes they can be recharged back to life, sometimes not. It depends on the state of the chemical layers in the battery.

Leave it plugged in overnight with the computer on and see if it starts to work. Otherwise, it's trash.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

I had it attached to the USB port overnight with the computer on and as soon as I disconnected it from the USB it would shut down and I couldnt turn it back on. It only works while attached to the USB. I didnt realize that the battery would die without ever being used or charged before or how a battery has chemical reactions even when its not being used. Looks like I'll be buying a new Ipod. Thanks for your help and insights.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM

1,403 posts, read 3,162,615 times
The last thing I would do it throw it away. You can buy a battery replacement kit for just about every IPOD product out there.

iPod Battery Replacement for iPod Classic, iPhone, Touch, Mini, Nano, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, 4th Gen, and Video | iPod Battery Depot

For $20 you can get a battery and the tool you'll need to change the battery on your nano. From what I understand replacing the battery is quite simple with a small chance of screwing up your IPOD. Since you were going to throw it away anyway, you'll be out $20.

Alternatively, you can send it back to Apple and they will change the battery for you ($59).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics