Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,388 times

Advertisements

My sisters and nephews and my self and daughter are planning to move up to Cookeville. I would like to talk to people already living there to see what they think of living there. Also any Townhouse for rent up there they are buying property I may just rent unsure. Thanks want to hear everything and anything Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

22 posts, read 52,396 times
We are closing on a wonderful little house outside the Crossville city limits on Monday!
Finally! We too checked out Cookeville and others. It all depends on what you are looking for. I researched everything important to us. Our minds were made up by the research. Of course spending time with the locals in the area is the best measure. One of my top priorities was a good, active quilt shop/guild. Little Blessings in Crossville is the best for my needs. Our experience was that Cookeville had the retiree set-up going on more so than Crossville. Shopping, etc. But, we wanted a normal community. We enjoy going to local high school football games and various hometown events. Neither of us golf, but we love the feel of a nice, clean, small town. If we want to really shop, it is only 30 minutes to Cookeville, and 45 minutes to Knoxville! We plan to get hooked up in the community, people and activities. We are excited about working in our three acre "yard" and when we have time, we'll go shopping. We plan to get season tickets to the Cumberland Playhouse, and on and on. Though we've been gone from Rocky Top for forty or so years, it is nice to come back home. Good luck on your search!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 PM

Hey Joe!
If you are in Crossville during lunch, the best local place we found is on Main Street right off of hwy 127. "Express Lunch". Fresh, locally grown veggies used, great sandwiches, etc., super clean restrooms and charming, immaculate dining area. Owned and operated by two, in-their-forties, very friendly, helpful sisters. Local and business customers, and newbies like us checking out the local scene! Super freindly atmosphere.

We've been told by several folks that the restaraunt at Cumberland State Park is awesome. Well, last week we went to check it out since it's only a couple of miles from our new home, but....the park was sooo incredibly beautiful that we never made it in, just cruised around the gorgeous park! WOOOOWEEEEE! BTW, we ate earlier at Express Lunch so weren't hungry, but curious about another restaraunt to try in our new digs!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 AM

I hope you are having a very large time here! Maybe next time you can plan to attend a play at Cumberland County Playhouse.
Ya gotta tell us though.......have you and your wife found the best donuts? Let me know where the place is. We would drive a hundred miles for an awesome donut! How did your wife enjoy Little Blessings in Crossville?
Most recently being from Texas, we too were concerned about not living in a desolate, not too quiet place. It's sure not lonely. Cookeville nor Crossville are either. I bet you found that out! Hope your trip was wunnerful and hurry back!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngayle View Post
I hope you are having a very large time here! Maybe next time you can plan to attend a play at Cumberland County Playhouse.
Ya gotta tell us though.......have you and your wife found the best donuts? Let me know where the place is. We would drive a hundred miles for an awesome donut! How did your wife enjoy Little Blessings in Crossville?
Most recently being from Texas, we too were concerned about not living in a desolate, not too quiet place. It's sure not lonely. Cookeville nor Crossville are either. I bet you found that out! Hope your trip was wunnerful and hurry back!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Which quilt shops are you planning on visiting?
Which quilt shops do you like in these areas and why?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It's at 59 South Cedar in downtown Cookeville, about a block south of the Depot. I know people from Knoxville who drive all the way there for their butter twists. AAAAHHHHHH (I'm trying to imitate Homer drooling while thinking of doughnuts...)

Pic found at flickr.com.
My husband and I will make a special trip to Ralph's Donuts in Cookeville as soon as we unpack the coffee pot at our new Crossville Home!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:13 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,685,543 times
Quote:
We are closing on a wonderful little house outside the Crossville city limits on Monday!
Finally! We too checked out Cookeville and others. It all depends on what you are looking for. I researched everything important to us. Our minds were made up by the research. Of course spending time with the locals in the area is the best measure. One of my top priorities was a good, active quilt shop/guild. Little Blessings in Crossville is the best for my needs. Our experience was that Cookeville had the retiree set-up going on more so than Crossville. Shopping, etc. But, we wanted a normal community. We enjoy going to local high school football games and various hometown events. Neither of us golf, but we love the feel of a nice, clean, small town. If we want to really shop, it is only 30 minutes to Cookeville, and 45 minutes to Knoxville! We plan to get hooked up in the community, people and activities. We are excited about working in our three acre "yard" and when we have time, we'll go shopping. We plan to get season tickets to the Cumberland Playhouse, and on and on. Though we've been gone from Rocky Top for forty or so years, it is nice to come back home. Good luck on your search!
A big CONGRATULATIONS to you! We'll be joining you, but not for another 6 years. Our retirement home will be in Cumberland Cove near Monterey.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,765,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel1024 View Post
My sisters and nephews and my self and daughter are planning to move up to Cookeville. I would like to talk to people already living there to see what they think of living there. Also any Townhouse for rent up there they are buying property I may just rent unsure. Thanks want to hear everything and anything Thank you
At the bottom of this page you'll see links to other threads that have to do with Cookeville. If you click on those, you'll get a good idea of what Cookeville is like.

I don't live there but really want to. It's a small'ish town that has a lot of amenities found in larger towns. Its schools are excellent, rents are reasonable, the countryside is beautiful, and it's only an hour from the Nashville airport. Having a university in town really helps with having things to do.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,765,772 times
Quote:
We enjoy going to local high school football games and various hometown events.
If the bozos who run Cumberland County don't get their act together, you won't be watching any high school football games or high school plays or high school anything in Crossville anytime soon.

I hate to be an I-told-you-so, but a couple of years ago in this forum I predicted that Cumberland County was going to become like many areas in Florida whose economies cater to retirees. Retirees move there because of the low taxes and low cost of living. Along with them come a few families with kids. The retirees vote a lot more than anyone else, and they vote for politicians who are anti-tax. However, as the population grows so do the needs of the local schools. The retirees refuse to pay more in property taxes to fund the schools. As a result, the schools become underfunded and in some cases overcrowded.

And this year, Cumberland County's commissioners are refusing to give the school board the money the school board says is needed to fund the schools. As a result, the schools in Cumberland County are closed indefinitely, a member of the school board has resigned in disgust, and the county mayor is suing the rest of the school board. It's becoming a 3-ring circus up there on the Plateau.

There are several reasons I would never live in Crossville; add this one to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville