Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times

Advertisements

Well my daughter was back to school for 2 days and schools have closed again. I'm betting that they will be closed again tomorrow. In December I think my daughter went to school a total of 7 maybe 8 days due to school closings and the holiday vacation. One day that she went was the day before vacation and she was only there for 2 hours.

This is just the beginning....I know the weather will be bad on and off for atleast two more months, not to mention the occasional snow storms that pop up in March and April.

We'll be going over her spelling words and I'll have her read...maybe do some math on the computer, but what about the parents that have to leave their kids home alone, because they have to work? Who can't afford day care? I find it hard that the kids in this county (and surrounding counties) get much of an education when they go to school 2 to 3 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Why in the world is school closed today. We got a dusting of snow, but the roads were clear. I didnt know Cumberland was closed yesterday. I guess my gkids were home alone again.

But dont worry the kids will be making up the time in the spring.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why in the world is school closed today. We got a dusting of snow, but the roads were clear. I didnt know Cumberland was closed yesterday. I guess my gkids were home alone again.

But dont worry the kids will be making up the time in the spring.

It wasn't closed yesterday, but they didn't go back to school until Tuesday 1/4/11. We were on a 2 hr delay and then for some unknown reason closed altogether.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Labart...This is " NOT" a personal attack....Just an observation...

It is not the school's responsibility if you work or not...they are responsible for the safety of your child on over 1500 miles of country roads....

With the snow and ice late last night this morning was a judgement call...probably a late opening would have been a better call for today IMO...

Like 2Mares stated....they will make up for the lost days next spring, maybe summer....

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM

There was ice last night?

I am often amazed at the judgement calls for school closings, but keep in mind some rural areas are really bad and the conditions linger longer. There have always been jokes and jabs in Putnam Co. when schools closed due to bad weather conditions in Monterey when there is absolutely nothing in Cookeville. I had a professor that would give me the eye and ask "did it snow on the mountain" anytime I missed or was late for his class.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Labart, count your blessings. I've seen schools in neighboring North Alabama close because of the threat of snow. Yup, call it off because it might snow.

I've wondered about that...at least wait until it happens. More than once they've called it and it doesn't happen.

Bones is right. As a fat ex school admin who has had to make that call sometimes it is a judgment call...sometimes you get it right, sometimes you don't. Rather err on the side of caution. (And it was a tough adjustment for a boy who grew up in the snowbelt who walked to school barefoot uphill both ways in the dark in the snow...)

Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM

LOL. Havent heard in the dark before.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Maybe they should have winter vacation instead of summer vacation? I'm not being serious. It would just be nice for the children to have some consistency.
I absolutely understand about the roads, and that it is not the schools responsibility to worry about the welfare of the children.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,674 times
Children in this region are often cited as not being as intelligent as those in other regions of the country. Despite the obvious debatability of this, lets assume its true for a moment.

Could a reason be the school closings? In other parts of the country they either do not get snow OR they deal with it (like we should) and go to school anyway and learn how to drive on snow. From December- March, there are months that school is closed weeks at a time, and coupled with Summer break, kids do not have consistency in their education.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Schools are closed again today. This is much more understandable since it is actually snowing, unlike yesterday when it was warm and sunny.

The funny thing is they still had a basketball game even though they closed the schools. I think physical education is very important, but this game only benefited maybe 20% of the school's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville