U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,109 times

Advertisements

Are the house crammed together in Hawks Bluff ? Are they lots or can you buy acres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

21,674 posts, read 31,578,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcomm0 View Post
I agree with you, but looking at the long term, you going to see people from the south, as well from the north. Only the smart people from Fla are moving there, so not to worry
Does smart equal gullible? Easily parted with their money?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 PM

240 posts, read 823,057 times
no, money, just fun

Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,481 times
Default Tennessee Developments

Make sure that you have some proof from the developer that they will in fact put in the roads, water, sewer, etc. and that you have access to your property and that it is buildable. Get it in writing. Buyer beware. This is really true of any development where the infrastructure has not yet been built.

Moderator cut: advertising/cross posting not allowed

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-11-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 AM

849 posts, read 2,013,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsea View Post
Make sure that you have some proof from the developer that they will in fact put in the roads, water, sewer, etc. and that you have access to your property and that it is buildable. Get it in writing. Buyer beware. This is really true of any development where the infrastructure has not yet been built.

Moderator cut: advertising/cross posting not allowed
Whimsea - I have seen this posted many times. What makes a lot buildable vs. unbuildable. Septic, other...? I think this would help others as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 PM

322 posts, read 613,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
I have seen this posted many times. What makes a lot buildable vs. unbuildable. Septic, other...? I think this would help others as well.
There can be a lot of factors which make a lot buildable or not but in this case it's mostly septic. Hawk's Bluff was divided before Van Buren had a county planning commission and the lots weren't evaluated for septic systems on the front end. Plateau soils, especially that close to the escarpment, are shallow. Typically 6" to 3' down to sandstone bedrock. Anything less than 30" of consistent depth will create problems in obtaining a septic permit. Lots with large amounts of very shallow soils may be completely unbuildable and marginal lots may be restricted to houses with one or two bedrooms. Also, there is a 50' minimum setback from wells, yours and your neighbors. So it's possible for you to find a suitable area for a septic but if it's close to a property line your neighbor could ********* by sinking a well near the area before you build. I'm just waiting for the fireworks when that eventually happens.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks Yarddawg!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Now come t think of it, I have seen this posted as well. "We bought 6 acres, only 1/2 acre was buidlable." Does anyone know what that quote means? Sounds like you could put in a septic, what about the rest of the lot would be unbuildable? Of course, a 6 acre house would be a monstrosity.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,481 times
I live in Middle Tennessee just outside of Cookeville. Moved here 2 1/2 years ago from Florida. We have 40 acres, large home, barn, hills, streams, just beautiful. Property in the area in quite inexpensive. You could buy a home or property here outside of the subdivision that has all of the roads and utilities already in place. Beware of some of these developers who advertise heavily out of state. Get it in writing that the roads, utilities and amenities will be built and by when. Also make sure your property is buildable. There are many properties being sold in our area that have a very steep slope which will make it much more expensive to build. Also make sure that there is no litigation or liens pending on the developer or property. Buyer beware of these aggressive developers. We have heard some horror stories that have happened to people in these situations here. Keep in mind what happened in Florida in the 60's and 70's where people were sold lots that were underwater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnapoles View Post
Thanks for the information, by researching the past couple days I have been told by some people that they love Hawks Bluff and then some other people have told me that not enough police that there has been a crime problem specially with homes built and no one living in them. I was also told that to dig well must be very deep and a few sections water has been hard to come by. If any one actually live there please if you have a chance verify or let me know the pros and cons. I already spoke to a salesman at Haks Bluff and unfortunately like most commmissioned agents the place sounds to good to be true. I guess a Realtor in the area might be able to point out the best spot. Please if you have any more info regarding Hawks Bluff write back before I go ahead with a purchase. Thanks any comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 AM

322 posts, read 613,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Now come t think of it, I have seen this posted as well. "We bought 6 acres, only 1/2 acre was buidlable." Does anyone know what that quote means? Sounds like you could put in a septic, what about the rest of the lot would be unbuildable? Of course, a 6 acre house would be a monstrosity.

That usually means one of two things. "We bought 6 acres and couldn't put the house where we wanted to because there was only one spot suitable for septic" or more commonly "We bought 6 acres and planned to split a few small lots off of it to sell and cover the price of the land but then we discovered most of it was crap"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville