Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times

Advertisements

In my above post re. Loweland, I failed to mention that Jere Whitson was honored a few months ago as being one of the top elementary schools in the state: Herald Citizen - Jere Whitson among state s top elementaries

p.s. people also love Algood Elementary. I think both are good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
If you want diversity and an upscale neighborhood I would check out Capshaw. Many folks think it is where the snotty rich kids go but this is not true...having worked there as well as most of the schools in Putnam county I can say that from experience that that is not true. While most of the student population is from a upper middle class to upper class concerning $$, the students and teachers do NOT act like it. Did not see anyone treated differently or poorly there because of what they looked like. Also, there is alot more parental involvement and volunteering there than any other school I have worked at.
Many on here have suggested Jere Whitson, which is good school, however, I fear many have mentioned it because that IS where most of the Hispanic population attends and it really is not that diverse. It is also located in one of the more undesirable areas of the county (think drugs, low rent income housing, lots of noise from tech students partying, etc.) for neighborhoods. I would not want to live in that area.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 49,124 times
Default Cookeville Diversity

Well, considering the only exposure a lot of the world has had to TN consists of watching "Deliverance" & "Walking Tall" , I can understand where one might consider that discrimination would be an issue in Cookeville.

Good news - it's not! That's the best part of being a small college town! Small town friendliness mixed with an open-minded attitude. I grew up in Cookeville in the 1960s and still remember playing in the front yard with Chinese Tech students who rented the front apartment of our house. I knew people from Iraq, Iran, Portugal, China, India (my neighbor babysat for Dr. Ballal), Columbia, Ecuador and many other places before I was even 10 years old! Seeing people of a different ethnicity was just not an issue to me. I consider that a gift, as many people do not get exposed to different cultures in small towns.

The cultural exposure TTU brings to Cookeville cannot be underestimated. When professors (foreign or native born) come to teach at TTU, they bring their educated spouses - many who go to work in Putnam County Schools. I had one English teacher who spoke 7 languages!

TTU brings in concerts, art exhibits, and other things that most small towns just do not usually have the resources to stage. Also, I believe Cookeville made it easier for me to go to college (I was the first to graduate in my family). We hung out at the UC all the time & I knew many professors and their children - I was better prepared for the college experience than most kids from a small town.

You and your family should LOVE Cookeville. It is full of good people who support TTU and nurture all of Cookeville's children. After people satisfy their initial curiosity about the "new kid in town", your daughter will be fine.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 18,690 times
Default Reporting back

Just last week we went to Cookeville on a house hunting trip. Frankly I have not lived in a prettier place, maybe Pleasanton, CA comes close, but Cookeville is pretty, calm, quiet and very cheap.

I could not get over the greenery, the pleasant weather, the close distances. We did not get to meet a lot of locals, but our Realtor Tonya is such a sweetheart - she is such a nice person, she showed us around, gave us her valuable input and helped us find a nice house close to the school.

With the feedback from this forum, we ended up buying a house 1 mile from Algood school. And the best part is that the house is on a huge lot with woods in the backyard. My wife could not get over the idea of owning a little forest. It is just amazing how much more money can buy in Cookeville.

We are looking forward to making the move in a month.

Thank you all!

Last edited by sushyad; 06-29-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushyad View Post
Just last week we went to Cookeville on a house hunting trip. Frankly I have not lived in a prettier place, maybe Pleasanton, CA comes close, but Cookeville is pretty, calm, quiet and very cheap.

I could not get over the greenery, the pleasant weather, the close distances. We did not get to meet a lot of locals, but our Realtor Tonya is such a sweetheart - she is such a nice person, she showed us around, gave us her valuable input and helped us find a nice house close to the school.

With the feedback from this forum, we ended up buying a house 1 mile from Algood school. And the best part is that the house is on a huge lot with woods in the backyard. My wife could not get over the idea of owning a little forest. It is just amazing how much more money can buy in Cookeville.

We are looking forward to making the move in a month.

Thank you all!
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you had a good trip, and I'm particularly glad you found a great house with your own little forest. Algood is a wonderful school, too. Welcome to Cookeville!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville