Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I watched some of that video also. I believe they used video from various areas throughout middle and east TN. Really, Spencer is not close to much of anything except fall creek falls.

Saddlebrook is not in Spencer. It's in White county where Hwy 111 and Hwy 70S join, that's about halfway between Sparta and Spencer. So regardless of what their video shows it's basically an old farm in the corner of two four lane highways.

They did the same unethical video trick when they sold Hawk's Bluff on cable TV. (It's the same guy.) Much of the video they used to promote that one was shot in Big South Fork, haven't looked at the Saddlebrook video but it wouldn't surprise me if they're recycling some of the same footage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Saddlebrook is not in Spencer. It's in White county where Hwy 111 and Hwy 70S join, that's about halfway between Sparta and Spencer. So regardless of what their video shows it's basically an old farm in the corner of two four lane highways.

They did the same unethical video trick when they sold Hawk's Bluff on cable TV. (It's the same guy.) Much of the video they used to promote that one was shot in Big South Fork, haven't looked at the Saddlebrook video but it wouldn't surprise me if they're recycling some of the same footage.

LOL. So about Doyle. Even better.
All I remember from being in Doyle/Quebec is farmland.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

181 posts, read 692,336 times
Default Location

Yes, it's just south of Sparta still in White Country.

I will be the first to admit my memory is not what it was several years ago but I believe you would need binoculars to get a sharp view of a tree if you were standing at any of the current buildings on their property.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM

sparta tn - Google Maps

From da google. This is the property in question. To the left of 111. Runs from 111 to the calfkiller river. Northern property line is about halfway between firetower road and the northern entrance of their driveway. Southern line is a little north of where the southern entrance of their driveway crosses 111 and continues to the houses on the other side. That road probably has a name by now but it's not in my system yet. Southern line is a little jagged. Most of the dense trees to the south of the buildings aren't on the property.

So most of it is beat up farmland but there is a strip of timber along the river and to the north. The flip side is that with small farms like this timber was usually left where it was because that area was rocky as all heck.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I would think for the price they are advertising that would be about what you would get.

I watched a little of their video and the scenes they are filming are certainly not close to what I drove by.........depending on your definition of close.

Will have to trek down that way again now that I know what I'm looking for
Dont forget the $200/month fees!

If you get over there take some real pictures of the place.

Q: Are there any monthly recreation and maintenance fees or dues?
A: Yes, $200 a month which includes lawn care, 24-hour gated security and use of all the recreational facilities.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

130 posts, read 475,170 times
I can tell you to run from this place! Moderator cut: see comment is a highly skilled "seller" and I know from personal experience you will not get what he is promising. Wish I could share more but dont want to say much more. I bought from him in another developement and he has left us with alot of mess and empty promises. Warn your friends to stay away!

Last edited by Beretta; 11-20-2011 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: removed due to liability

Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM

130 posts, read 475,170 times
PS. We too were promised lawn care and security. We now have neither, security can do without but our roads are overgrown and we can do nothing!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
And Maryn, we tried and tried to warn you and your husband. I wish we were wrong about that guy but we weren't. Once people get something in their head and listen to some of these smooth talkers no one wants to listen to a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

I'm glad you're trying to help, though. Good on you.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

I dont understand how people buy property site unseen.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont understand how people buy property site unseen.
In all fairness most of them didn't buy sight unseen, they bought after carefully guided tours. Think about some of the warts and problems in the backcountry up around Monterey. Now think about how many of them you could hide if that was what you were trying to do while you were driving some out-of-towners around showing them the area. Add to that the fact that most of their marks were from urban areas with strict codes and no understanding of the "do it yourself or do without" philosophy of a lot of rural Tennessee areas and it was a nightmare waiting to happen. At the height of the craziness in Van Buren out of state "developers" were selling lots based on lines drawn on paper. They hadn't been surveyed, no septic approval, no roads, no utilities, no mineral rights, etc., etc., and all this can be yours for 10X the going rate for land based on a hatfull of empty promises.

After thinking about it for awhile the only thing that would really worry me about Saddlebrook is if they haven't actually divided it as a subdivision. It's still showing up as a farm in the latest tax data. They may have done something unusual where the people buying in aren't getting clear deeds. I've run into that a couple of times in the past with a local shifty real estate guy selling on "land-lease". The property doesn't officially change hands until it's completely paid for so it doesn't trigger review by the planning commission until then by which time all manner of problems may be well established. It would be easy enough for anyone who's considering buying to check at the White county courthouse and make sure that Saddlebrook has been through the planning commission. Might prevent a few bad surprises later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville