Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM

193 posts, read 512,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stara6 View Post
I was hoping for a Petsmart!
I would love to see a PetsMart here! Never liked PetCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,667 times
Default Publix/Target

Has there beenany confirmation on Target and/or Publix coming to Cookeville? I heard they were building a Publix in Sparta; why there and not Cookeville?
We plan to relocate soon and would appreciate any updates. We were there at beginning of October and things looked "bland." I expected things to be more landscaped and updated; Crossville was nicely decorated and cleaner.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM

869 posts, read 1,785,873 times
You heard wrong about a Publix in Sparta. Still a rumor, no confirmation yet on Publix in Cookeville. Target is a long shot to come here. But, Crossville has no shot at a Target and little chance ever for a Publix. Not enough population to support it. I'm in both towns often, don't really see that Crossville is any cleaner than Cookeville, but Cookeville is much larger (3x, not counting college students) so comparision between the 2 is pretty much apples and oranges.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM

116 posts, read 228,791 times
I vote for target.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 28,611 times
I know some Publix people, and I'm pretty sure this is a rumor. They are opening a store in Crossville though.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Latest Publix rumors: from two different sources (sources in the business of knowing), but obviously not confirmed. Publix wants to build at the corner of Old Kentucky and 10th. The city will have to improve infrastructure, i.e. widen Old Kentucky and 10th to 111 for sure, but most likely to Washington as well.

You all know how closely aligned residences and buildings are to the edge of 10th. Someone admitted the city failed many years ago with not forecasting the need for five lanes.

Also, Old Kentucky would need to be widened, and Bilbrey Park could be fairly rigorous to work around.

Anwyay, Publix is known for assisting with infrastructure needs in areas that they REALLY want to build, see what's going on with the North Shore in Chattanooga. And these sources said that Publix would help with some of the infrastructure. As implied it would be a shopping center with possibly a casual dining restaurant looking to cash in on liquor by the drink revenues before Algood voters pass liquor by the drink.

I hope this happens....it's my side of town.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 PM

I've heard this rumor as well. Also have heard that Target is considering that same location. Target & Publix did go in together on a deveolpment off of I-140 near Knoxville, so, if there is enough room there, it would work. Was in Knoxville today and saw the Publix going up by Turkey Creek. Would be awesome to have that here.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Latest Publix rumors: from two different sources (sources in the business of knowing), but obviously not confirmed. Publix wants to build at the corner of Old Kentucky and 10th. The city will have to improve infrastructure, i.e. widen Old Kentucky and 10th to 111 for sure, but most likely to Washington as well.

You all know how closely aligned residences and buildings are to the edge of 10th. Someone admitted the city failed many years ago with not forecasting the need for five lanes.

Also, Old Kentucky would need to be widened, and Bilbrey Park could be fairly rigorous to work around.

Anwyay, Publix is known for assisting with infrastructure needs in areas that they REALLY want to build, see what's going on with the North Shore in Chattanooga. And these sources said that Publix would help with some of the infrastructure. As implied it would be a shopping center with possibly a casual dining restaurant looking to cash in on liquor by the drink revenues before Algood voters pass liquor by the drink.

I hope this happens....it's my side of town.
You're not kidding about the traffic. I was in Cookeville yesterday afternoon, and the traffic on 10th Street heading into town from Algood was AWFUL. I'd never seen it so backed up. From what I can tell, there wasn't an accident, either. It was just bumper to bumper for no apparent reason other than it was the middle of the afternoon and school was letting out. Thank goodness Prescott Central is no longer there or else the traffic would've been even worse.

If/when Publix goes in at that location (and I agree that this would be a perfect location for a Publix) the city will have to make major improvements to 10th Street (make it 5 lanes, which probably should've been done a long time ago) and Old Kentucky Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I've heard this rumor as well. Also have heard that Target is considering that same location. Target & Publix did go in together on a deveolpment off of I-140 near Knoxville, so, if there is enough room there, it would work. Was in Knoxville today and saw the Publix going up by Turkey Creek. Would be awesome to have that here.
I was thinking the same thing. Publix and Target seem to go well together anyway, and that piece of property at the corner of 10th and Old Kentucky would be ideal although I would feel sorry for those who live in the Darwin Park and Bilbrey Park neighborhoods. The Northshore Commons development in Knoxville you referred to is a great model of what it could look like. There's no question that Cookeville could support both Publix and Target. I hope they'll do it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Traffic accidents occur frequently on 10th....too frequently; obviously, caused by the traffic congestion.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Along with Interstate Dr, 10th street is the place where the worst drivers in the area seem to be. It's a 45 mph rd, yet, with no traffic in front of them, people just plod along at 30-35 mph. That starts the backups, even at times when there should be none. At peak times, it's a zoo there.

Road needs to be widened to 5 lanes, Old Kentucky to 4 lanes at the intersection, speed limit probably should be 40. If a retail development is put there, there should be another light with a dedicated entrance on 10th st, lining up with Doris Dr and a light on Old Kentucky @ Bennie Rd to allow that subdivision to deal with left turns. The tax $$ such a development would bring would be awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville