Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 AM

38 posts, read 161,742 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start a dialogue with forum members who have detailed knowledge of Crossville, specifically, the Laurelwood and Sherwood Farms subdivisions.

I’m not sure if it’s best to put this thread in the Knoxville or Cookeville section. So, I’ll start with Cookeville.

After several months of looking, and three separate visits to the greater Knoxville area, I’ve decided it’s time to try to get more information that can’t be found online, or by driving around.

Crossville appeals to me for a variety reasons, many of which have been highlighted in various threads. I prefer to be closer to Knoxville for personal reasons, so I intentionally have not considered Cookeville. I’m not ruling out any area, but of all the places I’ve visited, Crossville, and especially the Laurelwood and Sherwood Farms subdivisions, is/are my current favorites.

I have driven through the Laurelwood and Sherwood Farms subdivisions on several occasions, and in different seasons, and I’m especially impressed with the large lots (1+ acres), and the peaceful, serene atmosphere. I’ve researched the available homes on the various websites, but there’s data that would be good to know, early on, that you can’t find online.

I’d really appreciate reading subjective impressions and opinions of Laurelwood and Sherwood Farms from current/former residents (if possible), or others who are knowledgeable. From an outsiders perspective, there seems to be little to dislike about these subdivisions, but first impressions can be deceiving!

Most importantly, I’d like to know more about HOA or subdivision dues (if any), internet service providers, subdivision restrictions, or any hidden costs to property ownership in these subdivisions. Also, if there are any ongoing controversies (e.g., similar to the Lake Tansi sewer project), it would be nice to know about them as soon as possible. I've lived in numerous locations in the USA, but never in Tennessee, so if there are any surprises that have been experienced by others who have made the transition, please feel free to opine.

At this time, I’m not ready for a realtor, since my time-frame for relocation is constantly changing.

If you prefer to contact me offline, that’s not a problem!

In advance, THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM

869 posts, read 1,787,083 times
Your best bet is probably the main Tn forum instead of Cookeville or Knoxville forums. While physically close, most Cookevillians have liitle need to go up the plateau to Crossville, unless one of the Cookeville HS teams is going up there to beat up on one of the Cumberland County HS teams. Cookeville associates much more with Nashville, while Crossvile associates with Knoxville. As a FFG property owner I've spent a lot of time up there and i have no knowledge of either of those subdvisions. What I can say is, if by driving around great Knoxville, you haven't spent much time in Crossville, there is a world of difference between those areas.

One thing that Cookeville and Crossville share is their cable TV & HSI provider, Charter. By far the one of the lousiest companies I've dealt with.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM

28 posts, read 31,826 times
Do any of the mentioned areas have mtn views? Crossvillev is practical but too city but great for seniors like myself.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenfoster View Post
Do any of the mentioned areas have mtn views? Crossvillev is practical but too city but great for seniors like myself.
Mountain Views... 127 south of Cumberland Mountain State Park entrance has views of the mountains around Grassy Cove.. RT 68 Crossville >>> Spring City ... your in Grassy Cove mountains all the way around you.. 127 North about 3 miles north of I-40 you can see those mountains around Grassy Cove... Crab Orchard I-40 Mountains all around the area.
I-40 East bound from Peavine Road to Crab Orchard mountains on both sides of I-40
Fair Field Glade Peavine Road.. go all the way out to Westchester mountains in front of you..
When I say mountains it's not the Great Smokey Mountain view.. If you go up to Wartburg .. Genesis Road 298 or 27 North from Harriman to Frozen Head State Park mountains ..
Frozen Head State Park > Frozen Head State Park — Tennessee State Parks

Using Google Earth.. and little yellow icon.. Go to Crab Orchard.. put little yellow icon down on I-40 and pan around... and see the terrain.. Same for Wartburg... you can explore Tennessee from your easy chair this way.. and when you want to hop in the car and go..

Old 05-28-2017, 07:53 AM

42 posts, read 43,338 times
Have you looked at those subdivisions? I'm curious. We too are going to move to a Crossville and I'd like to know where you decided to live and why.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:42 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I am not the OP, but can tell you why we choose our location.

I just retired, single, never married, two 13 year old adopted kids.

I looked at Holiday Lake and did not like to water use controversy and lake patrol situation. Plus the prices for the homes is very high.

I wanted to live on a lake.

Fair Field Glades has lots of lakes, and property at bargain prices, but I was not too sure about introducing teens into an area that has mostly retired folks. And the HOA is priced very high for what benefits I would gain. Also the reputation of the residents in the Glades in town is that they think pretty highly of themselves. That is not us...

I choose Lake Tansi, lots of transplants, so my kids would be more accepted, some retired folks, some locals, some vacation/weekend homes. The people are friendly, accepting of newcomers. The POA is reasonable in costs. The main lake is nice, we can boat, kids swim and kayak. There is an indoor pool and a seasonal outdoor pool too. There are 2 recreation centers. And a playground, and golf course we do not use.

There is a nearby diner and restaurant and a dollar general store if we do not want to drive into town, which takes about 15 minutes. In the Summer there is a Farmers Market on Mondays.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 PM

42 posts, read 43,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I am not the OP, but can tell you why we choose our location.

I just retired, single, never married, two 13 year old adopted kids.

I looked at Holiday Lake and did not like to water use controversy and lake patrol situation. Plus the prices for the homes is very high.

I wanted to live on a lake.

Fair Field Glades has lots of lakes, and property at bargain prices, but I was not too sure about introducing teens into an area that has mostly retired folks. And the HOA is priced very high for what benefits I would gain. Also the reputation of the residents in the Glades in town is that they think pretty highly of themselves. That is not us...

I choose Lake Tansi, lots of transplants, so my kids would be more accepted, some retired folks, some locals, some vacation/weekend homes. The people are friendly, accepting of newcomers. The POA is reasonable in costs. The main lake is nice, we can boat, kids swim and kayak. There is an indoor pool and a seasonal outdoor pool too. There are 2 recreation centers. And a playground, and golf course we do not use.

There is a nearby diner and restaurant and a dollar general store if we do not want to drive into town, which takes about 15 minutes. In the Summer there is a Farmers Market on Mondays.
We have heard unfavorable things about Holiday Hills and will stay away from there. We loved staying at Mariners point and while it certainly was nice to visit there, it's not where we would live.

I had heard there were aortic or drainage issues in a Tansi. Is that tire or did I misunderstand?
We have stayed in the timeshares there a few times and like that Area too.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnurse View Post
We have heard unfavorable things about Holiday Hills and will stay away from there. We loved staying at Mariners point and while it certainly was nice to visit there, it's not where we would live.

I had heard there were aortic or drainage issues in a Tansi. Is that tire or did I misunderstand?
We have stayed in the timeshares there a few times and like that Area too.
There was a problem maybe ten years ago with the POA board putting POA money into a project that would require all the homeowners to connect to a sewer system that was being built---not just for the now connected rentals that the POA has, and a few other properties that has sewage issues, but everyone.

Problem was, this was a forced connection, at an unknown cost (some estimates of $20k/ house were floating around for the initial connection then $50 a month thereafter), when most people did not need/want a sewer connection. And it would make a lot of the undevelopable lots developable, getting some rich off the deal, with those that are existing homeowners funding this endeavor. And there were cost analysis saying that a sewer was not affordable for this area with the level of development we had.

The sewer entity was separate from the POA but there were way too many 'crossover' people between the sewer developer and the POA. So the homeowners sued the POA saying they did not have the authority they thought they had. And they voted for new people on the board.

A few years ago--maybe 3-4 a judge ruled that the sewer authority could not force people to connect. The settlement was something like if 1/2 the people on a street wanted to connect they could put a sewer through that street and those that wanted to could connect. No one would be forced. No $50/month if one was not connected.

The sewer developer then found out that sewering this area was not cost efficient--as the studies by TN state already showed. The sewer authority was sold through the court---with no takers for a long time, then now the POA bought it to keep the rentals that they own going. Have not heard anything about expanding it since their ownership this last year.

I think they would be pretty stupid to try to force anything as the judge's ruling is valid and they know people will fight it. Only people who wanted it are the owners of undevelopable lots, who will make a profit once the lots are developable and a few homes that needed new septic systems or leach fields.

If you are buying a lot to build, make sure the lot is perk tested and passes for the size house you want to build. Most lots only perk for a 2 bedroom house as the lots are small, and this place is not called the rocky top for no reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville