U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,826,619 times

Advertisements

An engineering company has submitted a master plan to the City of Cookeville for the Rails With Trails Project. It is a multi use hiking and bike path between Cookeville and Monterey. See the story by clicking on the link below.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 AM

9,097 posts, read 21,745,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
An engineering company has submitted a master plan to the City of Cookeville for the Rails With Trails Project. It is a multi use hiking and bike path between Cookeville and Monterey. See the story by clicking on the link below.

This is really a great plan. It's somewhat patterned after the Virginia Creeper in SW Virginia. However, the 18-mile trail between Cookeville and Monterey is going to be built alongside existing railroad tracks, not built on abandoned railroad tracks.

Plus, it'll start at the old depot museum in downtown Cookeville, go by the farmers' market, then by the university, then by some nice residential neighborhoods and into downtown Algood before going up the mountain, and eventually end up by a new depot museum being built in Monterey. So a large chunk of it is going to be in town.

Actually, I guess since most people are going to go DOWN the trail instead of UP, it would be more appropriate for me to say that the trail will start in Monterey and end up in Cookeville. I, for one, will gladly pay an enterprising businessman to transport my bike back up the mountain after I ride down.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM

413 posts, read 1,135,427 times
I'm gonna buy a truck & do that JMT,that's a great idea!

I can't wait to see construction start on it!

firepower

Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM

322 posts, read 624,163 times
I wouldn't pack the bike just yet. The last information I saw indicated that some sections of the railroad easement were determined unsuitable due to width or grade meaning that adjacent private property will need to be donated/purchased/condemned to complete the trail.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM

129 posts, read 308,182 times
I think the Rail with Trails concept is EXCELLENT. Looking forward to the day where my bride, our daughter, and our newest daughter (will be born in October) will get to enjoy the trail!!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 PM

762 posts, read 966,324 times
Lots of work going on in Monterey on the tracks and on some buildings nearby.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,729,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Actually, I guess since most people are going to go DOWN the trail instead of UP, it would be more appropriate for me to say that the trail will start in Monterey and end up in Cookeville. I, for one, will gladly pay an enterprising businessman to transport my bike back up the mountain after I ride down.
HA HA, yeah and down they would go at the speed of sound too! For a person to ride a bike up the path that those tracks is on from Cookeville would take a tri-athlete. I think it is on like a 5% grade for quite a few miles, that is tough but it would be a great way to make dual use of it.

They may want to consider ending that trail in the parking lot of Walmart in Algood so that you can buy new brakes for your bike that just wore out on the way down!

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 08-29-2007 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: additional line

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM

9,097 posts, read 21,745,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
They may want to consider ending that trail in the parking lot of Walmart in Algood so that you can buy new brakes for your bike that just wore out on the way down!
I love it! I think that's a great idea! I can see a young entrepreneur setting up a stand at the bottom of the mountain, but instead of selling lemonade, s/he could sell bicycle brakes.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,826,619 times
Default Funding rolling in for Rails With Trails project

The City of Cookeville has been awarded a $700,000 grant that will help fund the Rails with Trails project, a multi-use hiking and bike path planned alongside the railroad tracks between Cookeville and Monterey. See the story by clicking on the link below.

News Story

Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,415 times
I just heard about this a few weeks ago and I am ready for this. I may never actually use it but it goes close enough to my house in Algood, that it should make it eaiser to sell. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville