U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Northern Central Mass.
30 posts, read 66,019 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

I Live in Mass, quite an expensive place to live and frankly we aren't makin' it here. At this rate we will working well into our 80s, my fiance and I want a better life in a nicer, cheaper area. A friend is moving to Sparta and is encouraging us to follow. My son is in 1st grade, this looks like a good oppurtunity if we can get our house sold.
Is there anyone from the area that can tell me first hand what it is like there and how it may differ from where we are, like I see there is almost zero property taxes - so where does TN get its money? Where do they "get" ya? Car registrations or what?? Excise Tax??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 AM
 
9,105 posts, read 21,802,571 times
Reputation: 5903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar26 View Post
I Live in Mass, quite an expensive place to live and frankly we aren't makin' it here. At this rate we will working well into our 80s, my fiance and I want a better life in a nicer, cheaper area. A friend is moving to Sparta and is encouraging us to follow. My son is in 1st grade, this looks like a good oppurtunity if we can get our house sold.
Is there anyone from the area that can tell me first hand what it is like there and how it may differ from where we are, like I see there is almost zero property taxes - so where does TN get its money? Where do they "get" ya? Car registrations or what?? Excise Tax??
Tennessee has a high sales tax, over 9% except for food which is just over 8%. Car registration fees are very nominal, in most counties it's a mere $24/year. Some add a wheel tax, but I don't believe White County (Sparta) does.

You're right that the property taxes here are pretty low (except for Memphis).

Sparta is a nice little town in a beautiful area (the Cumberland Plateau). Be warned, however, that White County's schools aren't the best. Even though it's next door to Cookeville and a state university there, very few White County graduates actually go on to college. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but if you're looking for a place with really good schools, you might be disappointed when you get to Sparta.

On the other hand, you won't have to worry about gangs, disprespectful kids, or other things that tend to make schools unpleasant in some larger cities.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Northern Central Mass.
30 posts, read 66,019 times
Reputation: 16
Thank you so much, yes I am concerned with direspectful kids and drugs - I know you will find that anywhere - but I am trying to find a nicer place than where I am. I love my town, just not the state, it's too much!
I heard the weather is better down there too. I hear that healthcare and drugs are a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
 
9,105 posts, read 21,802,571 times
Reputation: 5903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar26 View Post
Thank you so much, yes I am concerned with direspectful kids and drugs - I know you will find that anywhere - but I am trying to find a nicer place than where I am. I love my town, just not the state, it's too much!
I heard the weather is better down there too. I hear that healthcare and drugs are a problem.
Yeah I'm not sure about the hospital in Sparta, but there actually is one. It's little, and I read recently that they're no longer going to deliver babies after this year. I think people in Sparta usually go to the hospital in Cookeville for medical care.

Drugs are a problem, but it's pretty much meth and probably some dope. The joke used to be that Jackson County's biggest cash crop was marijuana. Jackson County is on the other side of Cookeville from White County. Because White County is so rural and has lots of hidden hollows and coves, it's an easy place for meth dealers to set up shop, unfortunately.

However, the overwhelming majority of people there are very law abiding, and the teenagers I've seen in Sparta are respectful and hard working. It's a very agricultural area. The people of White County are the salt of the earth, wholesome, kind, and charitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,270 times
Reputation: 10
I read your note inquiry regarding Sparta Tn. My husband and I moved here from Dartmouth Massachusetts so I uderstand where your concerns lie. All I can tell you is that it is Cheap to live here. We own 5 acres of land on a lake and our taxes are only $500 a year. Insurance is cheap $300 a year and car insurance with 3 vehicles is a total of $600 a year. There is no exise tax or hidden cost here. We pay a sales tax on food and clothes but there is no state employment taxes. I will tell you you will miss the grocerieries and restaurants in Ma. NO SEAFOOD!

I am driving school bus for white county and the kids are great here. The kids are not the drug problem here it is some adults making meth that is the problem. We have a new Sheriff now who is fighting and disrupting those that are making meth. He is making a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,209 times
Reputation: 10
We moved here 4 years ago from Arizona and have been very happy here in Sparta. My children are in 2nd grade and kindy and I have been very pleased with the schools. I don't know why they get a bad rap when they are actually pretty advanced when compared to the schools my friends kids go to out west. The people here are very friendly which really suprised me. I thought my family would be considered outsiders since this is a small community but we have been welcomed with open arms. I never want to move again since we finally found HOME in Sparta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
 
14 posts, read 38,756 times
Reputation: 15
Default Sparta Tn hometown girl

I was born and raised here in Sparta Tn and would not think of moving! My family has been here for generations. And if you come and have neighbors reach out in kindness to you I am probably related. It's just a way of life here, coming from poor farm families that would have not made it if neighbors had not helped everyone learned to reach out to each other and care. Sometimes the big city, high paying jobs make us forget who we are and what we need to be doing...
The biggest problem I see in Sparta is not many employment opportunities. This town was mainly factory work and some of them have pulled out and taken a lot of their work to China and Mexico in the past...... However Cookeville is close.
The Sparta hospital is small, good for somethings, however Cookeville hospital is not far and it is expanding. Also Crossville not to far away and it is growing also. Cookeville has some really great heart doctors!
Schools are fine here for the most you will find teachers really care! Giving special attention when possible. There is also a program called the "Grandparent program" my 76yr old mother is a part of that. She goes into a elementary school and help kids that need extra attention. All some need is the encouragement and attention. This is a lot of help to her making her feel usful at this age as well as to the kids. One 3rd grade girl went from poor grades to most improved in the school and A honor roll. The school system does care about your child and will do everything possible for them!
I would be glad to answer any questions you have on Sparta, if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Just e-mail me kdavis_erg@yahoo.com...........
Hope to meet you here soon.
~Kathy~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
12,823 posts, read 12,091,742 times
Reputation: 14516
Sparta-White County Chamber of Commerce in Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: sevierville
6 posts, read 20,293 times
Reputation: 11
Default I would LOVE to live in SPARTA TN

I have been looking for a job in Sparta or Cookeville area It is not easy.... I been looking for 3yrs now! It is hard for asingle morther to move to a town where there is no jobs M-F days. If any one knows of any please let me know asasp! thank you! the town is so pretty. The old part of town is so pretty it does need store in the bulids it would be great to be there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: sevierville
6 posts, read 20,293 times
Reputation: 11
Default Ya! i know!

I have been looking for a job there for 3yrs now. if you know of any jobs that are M-F days in tyhe area that would be great. if you would let me know. thanks ssanrb93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis View Post
I was born and raised here in Sparta Tn and would not think of moving! My family has been here for generations. And if you come and have neighbors reach out in kindness to you I am probably related. It's just a way of life here, coming from poor farm families that would have not made it if neighbors had not helped everyone learned to reach out to each other and care. Sometimes the big city, high paying jobs make us forget who we are and what we need to be doing...
The biggest problem I see in Sparta is not many employment opportunities. This town was mainly factory work and some of them have pulled out and taken a lot of their work to China and Mexico in the past...... However Cookeville is close.
The Sparta hospital is small, good for somethings, however Cookeville hospital is not far and it is expanding. Also Crossville not to far away and it is growing also. Cookeville has some really great heart doctors!
Schools are fine here for the most you will find teachers really care! Giving special attention when possible. There is also a program called the "Grandparent program" my 76yr old mother is a part of that. She goes into a elementary school and help kids that need extra attention. All some need is the encouragement and attention. This is a lot of help to her making her feel usful at this age as well as to the kids. One 3rd grade girl went from poor grades to most improved in the school and A honor roll. The school system does care about your child and will do everything possible for them!
I would be glad to answer any questions you have on Sparta, if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Just e-mail me kdavis_erg@yahoo.com...........
Hope to meet you here soon.
~Kathy~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top