Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 16,124 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating out family and business. Education system is very important. Which has the better schools? We own a custom upholstery business that we will be relocating as well. We will be in Crossville this week to look around. Any suggestions on areas to look and areas to stay away from. We've never been there but several friends are recommending both of these areas to look into. Thanks for any input or opinions you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connierepass View Post
We are considering relocating out family and business. Education system is very important. Which has the better schools? We own a custom upholstery business that we will be relocating as well. We will be in Crossville this week to look around. Any suggestions on areas to look and areas to stay away from. We've never been there but several friends are recommending both of these areas to look into. Thanks for any input or opinions you can share.
Cookeville's schools are much better than the schools in Crossville. Crossville is a nice enough town with a lot to offer, but not its schools.

In Cookeville's case, being home to a mid-major university--the state's flagship technological university--helps the entire public school system. Cookeville is also home to the region's only STEM center (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) which offers free summer programs for Putnam County school students as well as programs throughout the year. The school system also has excellent Extended Learning Programs during the school year. This summer's program includes a NASA-developed program.

Cookeville High School also offers the only International Baccalaureate Program in the state outside of a metro area.

Crossville has nothing comparable.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-01-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM

869 posts, read 1,786,172 times
I will highly endorse what JMT said. When we relocated here 3 years ago, we picked Cookeville over Crossvile and the school system was the major factor in that choice. I have owned a condo in Cumberland County (FFG) for over 10 years and have followed some the school distrcit there for many years and knew I would not choose to send my kids to school there. I currenty have 2 kids in Cookeville HS and am pleased with the education they have been getting there.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM

262 posts, read 522,913 times
We also chose Cookeville over Crossville three years ago but schools were not a factor for us. General business layout and economy were important to us. We love Cookeville.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 AM

6 posts, read 16,124 times
Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 27,333 times
Default cookeville vs crossville

Which would you try to move towards? which one has more opportunities for jobs and good housing prices? Anything I should know about either?

Thank you

Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky2611 View Post
Which would you try to move towards? which one has more opportunities for jobs and good housing prices? Anything I should know about either?

Thank you
The average home price in Putnam County (Cookeville) is a bit more expensive than in Cumberland County (Crossville): $153,200 vs $147,844. Wages are higher in Cookeville; even with 1/3 of Cookeville being college students, median household income is $32,499 compared to $27,563 in Crossville.

Both are popular retirement areas, but Cumberland County is even more so and as such is the "oldest" county in Tennessee, median age of 50. Putnam County is a popular area for younger people and has a young population, median age of 36.

Cumberland County's schools are decent, but Putnam County's are generally regarded as being better. Cookeville has a lot more things for younger people, too, such as a children's museum, children's library, children's theater, STEM center, etc.

Cookeville is quite a bit larger than Crossville (32,000 vs. 13,000) and has more jobs: 5% unemployment rate in Putnam County vs. 7% in Cumberland County. This means Cookeville also has a lot more things like retail and restaurants than Crossville.

A big perk for Cookeville is that it's only an hour or so from Nashville which is one of the country's fastest growing cities with thousands of jobs. It's not uncommon for people to live in western Putnam County and commute to the Nashville area for work. Having said that, the economy in Cookeville is growing with several hundred new jobs this past year (including a factory of 500 which moved from Crossville to Cookeville) and hundreds more in the pipeline for this coming year.

Both places are fine with beautiful countryside and inexpensive housing. But if you need jobs, you'll likely have a better chance in Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
When we first come up to the area in 2012 during our search for a place for our retirement, we looked at Crossville first. We have some friends that moved there about 30 years ago and loved it. I figured that it would be nice to be up on the Plateau.

We were staying in Monterey and spent the first day in Crossville. The next day we spent in Cookeville. That night at dinner my wife said that Cookeville was the one for her. She just did not like Crossville; couldn't put it into exact words, just did not like it. She felt that Cookeville had a vibrancy that Crossville didn't. And that was that and was how we wound up in Cookeville. We both like what the university adds to living there and that the population is not dramatically skewed toward retired people (like us).

And if I was younger with a family, I certainly would not hesitate at taking a good look at Cookeville as a place to live.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
I would like to hear something about retired living in Cookeville and Crossville. Are there senior apartments there? At lower rents?

I've heard a lot of things about those two places and remember how some said Cookeville would be the better place of the two to live in. I would be interested in a one-bedroom apartment that wasn't a retired complex if the rent wasn't real high. And accepted pets (I have 2 cats).

Any info about living there would be welcome.

Thank you!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I would like to hear something about retired living in Cookeville and Crossville. Are there senior apartments there? At lower rents?

I've heard a lot of things about those two places and remember how some said Cookeville would be the better place of the two to live in. I would be interested in a one-bedroom apartment that wasn't a retired complex if the rent wasn't real high. And accepted pets (I have 2 cats).

Any info about living there would be welcome.

Thank you!
Both are very popular retirement areas, Crossville more so. Crossville has pretty much hitched its wagon to the retirement industry and has large developments that cater to retirees although not exclusively to retirees (like Lake Tansi and Fairfield Glade).

According to stats available here at city-data, the average rent in Cookeville is $711 while it's $612 in Crossville. Keep in mind, though, that being a college town many of Cookeville's apartments are more expensive because they're geared towards college students who share apartments. Of those that aren't geared towards college students, you can easily find one bedroom apartments for less than $711. Saxony, for example, has new one bedrooms for $490, and they accept cats. I have a friend who lives in the New Horizon apartment complex, and his 2BR townhouse is only $500 (the 1 bedroom ones are only $400). I don't know if they accept cats.

For more detailed information about the two towns, including things like crime rates, health care, etc., check out city-data's stats for Cookeville and Crossville:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville