Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 AM

77 posts, read 273,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I posted a month ago or so asking about Cookeville and got some very helpful posts. I haven't had much time lately to even think about more questions but I need to take the time here. My husband and I are hoping to visit in October if possible.
Anyway I was wondering if there are plenty of cardiology Dr's in town as well as family doctors. The town we go to now is about the same size population wise and there are only two Cardiology groups in town. Same with some other specialties. Can someone give me a feel for that there?
Also internet access (high speed) is important to us. I see by the other posts that it is not available in all places? Does anyone know where it would be and who is the company, etc.?
And last (for now) - does the YMCA in Cookeville have a teen center? What is the location in reference to residential areas?
I have been reading a lot of posts and have gotten great info (especially from JMT)
Oh and finding out about needing an original birth certificate to get a drivers license - that is very helpful to know.
Any info anyone could give would be great.
Thanks
jengal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengal View Post
Hi all,
I posted a month ago or so asking about Cookeville and got some very helpful posts. I haven't had much time lately to even think about more questions but I need to take the time here. My husband and I are hoping to visit in October if possible.
Anyway I was wondering if there are plenty of cardiology Dr's in town as well as family doctors. The town we go to now is about the same size population wise and there are only two Cardiology groups in town. Same with some other specialties. Can someone give me a feel for that there?
Also internet access (high speed) is important to us. I see by the other posts that it is not available in all places? Does anyone know where it would be and who is the company, etc.?
And last (for now) - does the YMCA in Cookeville have a teen center? What is the location in reference to residential areas?
I have been reading a lot of posts and have gotten great info (especially from JMT)
Oh and finding out about needing an original birth certificate to get a drivers license - that is very helpful to know.
Any info anyone could give would be great.
Thanks
jengal
Looking at various hospital web sites, I see that the hospital in Cookeville has more cardiac physicians on staff than other similarly-sized hospitals including some in larger towns:

Clarksville's hospital has 7 cardiac physicians on staff
Columbia's hospital has 6 cardiac physicians on staff
Cookeville's hospital has 10 cardiac physicians on staff
Crossville's hospital has 3 cardiac physicians on staff
Maryville's hospital has 8 cardiac physicians on staff
Murfreesboro's hospital has 6 cardiac physicians on staff
Oak Ridge's hospital has 9 cardiac physicians on staff

Cookeville is also the only hospital among those listed above that has a pediatric cardiologist. And for the above stats, I'm including physicians listed under "cardiology" and "cardiothoracic surgery."

Here are some stats I found to be interesting:

Since opening in 1994, the heart center at Cookeville's hospital has performed over 21,000 heart catheterizations. The first open heart surgery was performed in 1998, and over 2,100 open heart surgeries have been performed since.

I don't know if there's a teen center at the Cookeville YMCA, in fact I kind of doubt it. But here's their web site for you to check out (you might want to give them a phone call):
YMCA of Middle Tennessee - Putnam County Family YMCA : Home

The Cookeville YMCA is located across the street from Avery Trace Middle School in East Cookeville, one of the more desirable areas of town. Cookeville's only gated community and only neighborhood with $1 million+ homes are both located a few hundred feet from the YMCA.

High-speed internet is available in most of Putnam County, but some areas have only DSL. The cable company in Cookeville that provides cable internet to the cities of Algood, Cookeville and Monterey is Charter Communications. So if you live within those cities you can get cable internet. If you're outside of the cities, it's hit or miss. Subdivisions will most likely have cable internet, but there's no guarantee.

Frontier is the phone company for Cookeville, Algood, Monterey, and eastern Putnam County. Twin Lakes is the phone company for South Cookeville, Baxter, and western Putnam County. They both offer DSL, but remember that DSL can be slow if you're far from the transformer (or whatever they call it). In general, the more rural you are, the slower your DSL will be.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

77 posts, read 273,356 times
Default Jmt

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will go on the Y web site and/or give them a call. I have been checking out the newspaper's web site every time I can remember to. It is also very helpful.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,396 times
Default Teen Center

I wanted to let you know there is not a teen center in Cookeville at the YMCA but many of the churches have teen programs. I grew up there and my mom still lives there. I spend my summers there with my kids. My daughter has horse camp all summer there. We love Cookeville. I really wish we still lived there but my husbands job takes us to west TN. The onle thing I can say about the cardiac stuff at the hospital is that my brother had open heart surgery a few years ago. His wife was 8 months preg when he did this so I took my daughter and homeschooled her while we stayed with him in the hospital with him. The Dr's and nurses were wonderful. We could have not asked for better help with everything that he went through. We had high speed internet when we lived there. We were some of the first people to get it. We lived on 1st street. The town has grown alot since we moved but most people I know that have moved into the area love. Things are very easy to get to and most things you can find there. UMMM I guess that is all I can think of 4 now. Good luck and if you have any questions I will try to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville