Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,756 times

Advertisements

Hello to all.
I plan on attending TTU and moving to Cookeville in the near future since my current job is... well let's just say expiring. I'm currently living in Virginia, but I originally grew up in Florida. I found these forums through a search for "racism cookeville". I am mixed race, and though I've never experienced racism while in TN, I like to cover my bases...

I'm searching for the following info. If anyone could shed some light, it'd be greatly appreciated!!!

1. I was googling the local firearm ranges in the area. I've found a few but the websites provided little info. I'm starting to get into longer range shooting around 200-300 yards so it'd be nice to continue my (so-called) marksmanship. =) Oh, also any good hunting in the area?

2. Another passion of mine is ice hockey. I'm very excited to be close to Nashville for NHL spectating, but I couldn't find any info on local rinks. =(
I'd love to join a league or just take the girls ice skating.

3. Any info on rentals would be great. I'd be most likely interested in a house rental. I have a small quasi family (which is about to get bigger!). Would $900-$1,100 a month cover rent for a home? Is there a good market for rentals??

4. I also might be looking for a part time job. I'm going to guess college town equals plenty of those. I am looking for MINIMAL hours and something simple. Most likely food service.

Like I said, Any information will be appreciated!!! I know info is a commodity so, again, I'm really appreciate it. I can repay back with information as well. I know little a bit about most everything. Or if I do move to cookeville, I'm always good for a pair of hands, working on a truck, building a shed, etc.

Thanks Ya'll!!!!

Last edited by FloridaMutt; 05-13-2012 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: I make a horrible typist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMutt View Post
Hello to all.
I plan on attending TTU and moving to Cookeville in the near future since my current job is... well let's just say expiring. I'm currently living in Virginia, but I originally grew up in Florida. I found these forums through a search for "racism cookeville". I am mixed race, and though I've never experienced racism while in TN, I like to cover my bases...

I'm searching for the following info. If anyone could shed some light, it'd be greatly appreciated!!!

1. I was googling the local firearm ranges in the area. I've found a few but the websites provided little info. I'm starting to get into longer range shooting around 200-300 yards so it'd be nice to continue my (so-called) marksmanship. =) Oh, also any good hunting in the area?

2. Another passion of mine is ice hockey. I'm very excited to be close to Nashville for NHL spectating, but I couldn't find any info on local rinks. =(
I'd love to join a league or just take the girls ice skating.

3. Any info on rentals would be great. I'd be most likely interested in a house rental. I have a small quasi family (which is about to get bigger!). Would $900-$1,100 a month cover rent for a home? Is there a good market for rentals??

4. I also might be looking for a part time job. I'm going to guess college town equals plenty of those. I am looking for MINIMAL hours and something simple. Most likely food service.

Like I said, Any information will be appreciated!!! I know info is a commodity so, again, I'm really appreciate it. I can repay back with information as well. I know little a bit about most everything. Or if I do move to cookeville, I'm always good for a pair of hands, working on a truck, building a shed, etc.

Thanks Ya'll!!!!
Welcome to Tennessee! What made you decide on TTU?

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

1. I do know about a large shooting range just north of Cookeville (headed towards Standing Stone State Park) called Bend of the River. It's been there forever, and I'm pretty sure it's open to the public. They also have a shooting supply store in town. You can Google their contact info and give them a call, and I'm sure they can answer your questions for you.

2. Sadly, there are no ice hockey rinks in Cookeville. You'll have to go to Nashville for that.

3. Absolutely! You can easily rent a nice home in Cookeville for $900-1000/month. Check out the classifieds section of the local paper to get an idea of what's available:
Herald Citizen - Online Edition - Cookeville, TN

Cookeville also has its own craigslist page which you should check out, too.

4. The unemployment rate in Cookeville is 7.2% which is considerably less than the state and national averages. But it's still high, so it might be hard to find something right away. Having said that, Cookeville has a gazillion restaurants, so if you're happy getting a part-time food server job, I don't think you'll have to wait long, particularly if you move during the summer and get a head start on all the other college students.

There are many, many ex-Floridians in the Cookeville area, so you won't be alone. I hope you can make it work!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM

JMT,

Thank you for all your generous info!! As far as choosing TTU, I fell in love w/ Tennessee while on a trip. I have no intention of returning to Florida after my enlistment, but I want to stay in the South. Since my college is almost paid in full and I could choose any state I want, why not Tennessee? After some searching I came across Cookeville and TTU. Looked like paradise, especially from where I'm standing (here in Hampton Roads). Close to the city for day trips, but still 'out in the sticks'. Crime rates are low. Real Estate prices are good. You know, the whole American dream bit, lol. Stinks that there is no rink, but understandable since they are expensive to run. A job is not huge as long as we budget properly, but I'm sure I can find something.

If there is any way I can repay you, please, let me know!!! Hopefully, if all goes good, I'll be in Tennessee near the end of 2013! The significant other and I are very excited. Looks like a wonderful place to raise kids.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
JMT,

Thank you for all your generous info!! As far as choosing TTU, I fell in love w/ Tennessee while on a trip. I have no intention of returning to Florida after my enlistment, but I want to stay in the South. Since my college is almost paid in full and I could choose any state I want, why not Tennessee? After some searching I came across Cookeville and TTU. Looked like paradise, especially from where I'm standing (here in Hampton Roads). Close to the city for day trips, but still 'out in the sticks'. Crime rates are low. Real Estate prices are good. You know, the whole American dream bit, lol. Stinks that there is no rink, but understandable since they are expensive to run. A job is not huge as long as we budget properly, but I'm sure I can find something.

If there is any way I can repay you, please, let me know!!! Hopefully, if all goes good, I'll be in Tennessee near the end of 2013! The significant other and I are very excited. Looks like a wonderful place to raise kids.

TTU is a great school in a great area....

Just be prepared to step back in time 20 years....

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
JMT,

Sounds like you've done your homework! I love Tech (TTU) and the Cookeville area, and I'm glad that you're going to be part of the Tech family. I have several friends who are on the faculty there, and they never plan to leave. The last two Tech presidents didn't leave Tech until they retired, and even then they stayed in Cookeville. It's a special place. (I've been trying to get a job there for years, but I can't until someone leaves or retires, grrrr.) I have friends here in Knoxville who are Tech alum and are also trying to move back to Cookeville (and they're both natives of Knoxville) partly because they love Tech but also because the school system in Cookeville is so much better than here in Knoxville (and one of my friends is a teacher here in Knoxville).

The only way I want you to repay me would be to completely immerse yourself and your family in the local culture. Please come back to the forum to ask more questions and make comments, particularly after you move to Cookeville. We're here to help!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 05-14-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sounds like you've done your homework! I love Tech (TTU) and the Cookeville area, and I'm glad that you're going to be part of the Tech family. I have several friends who are on the faculty there, and they never plan to leave. The last two Tech presidents didn't leave Tech until they retired, and even then they stayed in Cookeville. It's a special place. (I've been trying to get a job there for years, but I can't until someone leaves or retires, grrrr.) I have friends here in Knoxville who are Tech alum and are also trying to move back to Cookeville (and they're both natives of Knoxville) partly because they love Tech but also because the school system in Cookeville is so much better than here in Knoxville (and one of my friends is a teacher here in Knoxville).

The only way I want you to repay me would be to completely immerse yourself and your family in the local culture. Please come back to the forum to ask more questions and make comments, particularly after you move to Cookeville. We're here to help!
Again, Thank you so much for your kindness. It's quite refreshing, lol. If all goes right, we plan on making Cookeville our permanent home. Dealing with the city grind, crime, and nonsense has taken it's toll. Especially being in the military. Walking around in uniform is like having a target painted on your back. I think some fresh mountian air and some quiet living is just the ticket. Now, I just have to get my ducks in a row and get accepted.

After showing my girlfriend this thread and the pictures, we're planning a weekend to visit the area. Very excited!!!

...Looking at the pictures of the grades schools make me even more excited. Where we live now is no place is raise children. I honestly think this may be our best life decision!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM

23 posts, read 49,101 times
TTU had a great rifle team when I lived there.

Mixed race will not be an issue - the college brings in people from all over the world. You will find most of the people in town are as nice as JMT.

Cookeville residents in general also support the military.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 32,538 times
JMT gosh is it great to see you still on here. My hubby and I conversed with you (via the forum) about COOKEVILLE and were really wanting to bring our new biz to the college and work with the staff there and the SBDC but the housing hit us here in FL and we are still here....but hopes to coming to TN SOON! We did our trip - the staff at TTU were FANTASTIC as you said AND that donut shop you recommended to us was FANTASTIC!! Fun to sit with the locals and they were so kind and they even GAVE us our 2nd donut!!! NiCEEEEEEE!!

I do have a new question for you - have you heard of this place Saddlebrook River Estates - SPARTA area - 15 miles from FALLS CREEK SP. There are ads galore down here about coming up and seeing it - adult community - looks like manufact homes but wanted to know IF you knew or have heard. They also say "15 miles south of Cookeville!" which made me think of you - yes I know you are in KNOXVILLE but your heart is in COOKEVILLE! RIGHT? =)

Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsbike View Post
JMT gosh is it great to see you still on here. My hubby and I conversed with you (via the forum) about COOKEVILLE and were really wanting to bring our new biz to the college and work with the staff there and the SBDC but the housing hit us here in FL and we are still here....but hopes to coming to TN SOON! We did our trip - the staff at TTU were FANTASTIC as you said AND that donut shop you recommended to us was FANTASTIC!! Fun to sit with the locals and they were so kind and they even GAVE us our 2nd donut!!! NiCEEEEEEE!!

I do have a new question for you - have you heard of this place Saddlebrook River Estates - SPARTA area - 15 miles from FALLS CREEK SP. There are ads galore down here about coming up and seeing it - adult community - looks like manufact homes but wanted to know IF you knew or have heard. They also say "15 miles south of Cookeville!" which made me think of you - yes I know you are in KNOXVILLE but your heart is in COOKEVILLE! RIGHT? =)
I sure hope you can come back up here soon!

Here's a thread about Saddlebrook River Estates that might give you some insight into the place:

Saddlebrook River Estates....Tennessee

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville