Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM

206 posts, read 473,630 times

Advertisements

has anyone in Cookeville city limits quit their satellite or cable TV service for an antenna? Do you get decent reception/channels ?? Tired of paying good money for channels I will never watch. All replies appreciated, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,327 times
Not many choices OTA. go to antennaweb.org, put in your address and you can get a list of channels you can get at your address.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM

thanks Sparkman, looks like the only channel is PBS

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,327 times
Yep, everything else comes from Nashville and OTA is just about impossible.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM

I hear you, kind of to bad but not the end of the world. Just happy to be in Cookeville ( with or without TV). I am going to investigate ditching the Satellite TV and find a way to watch TV via the computer. We dont watch much TV, mostly the news and the old movie Channel. Haven't rented a movie in 20 yrs. Can't justify the expense of Dish TV , 200 whatever channels of simple minded stuff we will never watch. Thanks for your reply !

Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonscrambler View Post
I hear you, kind of to bad but not the end of the world. Just happy to be in Cookeville ( with or without TV). I am going to investigate ditching the Satellite TV and find a way to watch TV via the computer. We dont watch much TV, mostly the news and the old movie Channel. Haven't rented a movie in 20 yrs. Can't justify the expense of Dish TV , 200 whatever channels of simple minded stuff we will never watch. Thanks for your reply !
There is options using internet access if you have good speed. If you have an Amazon Prime account you can have access to their library of movies and shows for free. Some networks will also allow replay of some programming.

Are there any companies providing fast and affordable internet service outside of Cookeville, like to the homes near Burgess Falls?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post

Are there any companies providing fast and affordable internet service outside of Cookeville, like to the homes near Burgess Falls?
Don't know about Burgess Falls, we are S Ckvl, fairly near Sam's , recently incorporated into the city limits. Using Frontier for WWW, paying for slowest speed and it's not that fast, will have to pay to get our speed increased.

We have Dish TV and a contract that expires next spring, bundled to Frontier for phone and internet, I want to start getting things lined up to ditch the TV service. We have no problems with Dish other than their programming, most of which we never watch. We are retired and hate to throw good money away, looking for an economical alternative that will suit our purposes better. Thanks for the reply !!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
There is options using internet access if you have good speed. If you have an Amazon Prime account you can have access to their library of movies and shows for free. Some networks will also allow replay of some programming.

I think that area is covered by Twin Lakes Telephone Cooperative which would also provide DSL internet service. Here's their web site where you can check their rates and maybe even give them a call to find out more information such as what kind of speed is available at your specific address:

Welcome to Twin Lakes Telephone Cooperative

Since you're not in the city limits, you may or may not have cable service where you are, so you might not have the option of cable internet service. Your realtor might be able to get that information for you.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think that area is covered by Twin Lakes Telephone Cooperative which would also provide DSL internet service. Here's their web site where you can check their rates and maybe even give them a call to find out more information such as what kind of speed is available at your specific address:

Welcome to Twin Lakes Telephone Cooperative

Since you're not in the city limits, you may or may not have cable service where you are, so you might not have the option of cable internet service. Your realtor might be able to get that information for you.

Good luck!
Thanks JMT! You were correct. I contacted them and they do provide H/S internet service to my new address.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
I can't speak for Cookeville OTA reception but I have found that in FFG I get the following channels in HD with a rooftop antenna and signal amplifier. 6-1,6-2,8-1,8-2, 20-1,21-1,21-2,21-3, 43-1, and 43-2. The picture quality is better from my OTA than the picture I get form DirectV. My contract ends soon and I will be glad to dump DTV. I think that just about anywhere in Cookeville CW, PBS, and FOX should be available and you may even get network stations from KY and possibly Nashville. Much depends on your antenna, set up, and location.

Check out tvfool.com for information on OTA at your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville