Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 05:51 PM

74 posts, read 85,015 times

Advertisements

Grabbed lunch at Rice Time Bistro today. It was excellent, I would highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 PM

320 posts, read 540,694 times
Rice Time is definitely a new favorite of mine.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:17 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
I really do want to try Rice Time.

But I did finally get to A Taste of the Philippines, and I am in love. I had the three meats/2 sides meal (only $12.99). I had pork adobo, bbq pork, and bbq chicken. Now their bbq is Filipino bbq which is different from what we're used to. Other than the adobo, which is a savory sauce the meat is cooked in, the "bbq" is grilled over open flames and slathered with a tangy sauce made from citrus fruits. As much as I love adobo, I think next time I might just get three servings of the bbq chicken, it was that good. Anyway, for my two sides I got lumpia (Filipino egg rolls which are thinner and longer than Chinese egg rolls and filled with seasoned pork) and bihon (thin noodles fried with vegetables). Everyone loved the lumpia which came with a sort of sweet & sour dipping sauce (but they're good even without the dipping sauce).

One of my friends who went with me was too scared to order Filipino food so he just had a burger ( with 2 sides only $6.99). The burger is also flame grilled, and my friend said it was one of the best he's had. Highly recommended.

They also have catfish. The owner went to Twin Lakes Catfish Farm in Baxter to learn how to fry catfish, and they supply her with fresh catfish.

Here are a couple of pictures from their Facebook page (I have the owner's permission to share these):

grilled pork

catfish and bbq pork with bihon and fries

pork adobo, bbq pork, bbq chicken, lumpia, bihon

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM

A gelato shop has opened up just off the Square in downtown Cookeville. Its address is 26 N. Jefferson. They serve Bravo Gelato which is made in Nashville by the same people who make Christie cookies (good stuff).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 AM

There are a couple of articles in today's H-C about Rice Time Bistro and A Taste of the Philippines. I've already been to A Taste of the Philippines several times and love it. I need to try Rice Time Bistro, particularly their lunch buffet.

Rice Time Bistro offers variety of Asian cuisines | Herald Citizen

Taste of the Philippines now open at Belle Acres | Herald Citizen

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-12-2016, 03:28 AM

There's a nice article in today's paper about the new Hix Farm Brewery that's being developed on South Walnut downtown. The brewery will use ingredients grown on a 600-acre farm in Jackson County to brew craft beers. It almost makes me wish I drank.

But what's intriguing to me is that they talk about three breweries being developed in Cookeville. I know of only two: Hix Farm Brewery and Red Silo Brewery. What's the third one?

'Farm to glass' concept behind new brewery | Herald Citizen

In other restaurant news, a restaurant called "Caribbean Cafe" is going in on North Walnut by TTU in the space that had been Charlie's Sub Shop's final resting place. And a bakery called "Kneaded Together Bakery" is going in an old craftsman-style cottage on North Dixie between TTU and Jere Whitson.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 AM

666 posts, read 762,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There's a nice article in today's paper about the new Hix Farm Brewery that's being developed on South Walnut downtown. The brewery will use ingredients grown on a 600-acre farm in Jackson County to brew craft beers. It almost makes me wish I drank.

But what's intriguing to me is that they talk about three breweries being developed in Cookeville. I know of only two: Hix Farm Brewery and Red Silo Brewery. What's the third one?

'Farm to glass' concept behind new brewery | Herald Citizen

In other restaurant news, a restaurant called "Caribbean Cafe" is going in on North Walnut by TTU in the space that had been Charlie's Sub Shop's final resting place. And a bakery called "Kneaded Together Bakery" is going in an old craftsman-style cottage on North Dixie between TTU and Jere Whitson.
Does the Coliseum Gaming Pub brew beer?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:47 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,607,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Does the Coliseum Gaming Pub brew beer?
No.

And for three new breweries in the area...to clarify, I believe the article is stating that two additional to the 26 in the state rather than 2 additional to Hix Farm, i.e. - Red Silo and Hix Farm making the total in the state 28 (although there was previous talk about someone in the Baxter area pursuing a brewery as a going concern):

"With 26 other breweries established in Tennessee — mainly in larger cities with two additional ones in development here in Cookeville."

Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
No.

And for three new breweries in the area...to clarify, I believe the article is stating that two additional to the 26 in the state rather than 2 additional to Hix Farm, i.e. - Red Silo and Hix Farm making the total in the state 28 (although there was previous talk about someone in the Baxter area pursuing a brewery as a going concern):

"With 26 other breweries established in Tennessee — mainly in larger cities with two additional ones in development here in Cookeville."
Ok that makes sense. That's what I get for reading it at 4am. I do remember that someone in the Baxter area talked about putting a microbrewery there but it was going to be next to the high school which would require a rezoning that they would likely lose. A microbrewery in downtown Baxter would probably do wonders for that little town.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,607,559 times
This is the microbrewery originally associated with Baxter when announced in tandem with Red Silo last year:

Pop-up beer garden part of Cookeville's third microbrewery | Herald Citizen

Seems like when Red Silo was announced, an article cited the folks from Red Silo mentioning Jighead out of Baxter but that the microbrewery hadn't selected a site and might land in Cookeville...I don't believe there was any commentary from Jighead's owner at that time.

Last edited by JMT; 06-19-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville