Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM

56 posts, read 140,988 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have another question. (I am researching a possible relocation sometime in the future). Where I live in California, we have black widows; I know where to look for them, so they don't worry me too much. We have no brown recluse spiders, though. How do you all deal with those? Do you find them in your home often? How dangerous are they? I have a ten and seven year old.

We have No copperheads here either. Rattlesnakes aren't found in the city, but they at least come with a built in warning device. How often do you find copperheads or rattlesnakes on your property, near your house? I garden quite a bit, so does my mom; I need to know how likely it is we would encounter these animals. Also, My dogs are quite stupid; they have never seen a snake. They bark at squirrels, so I am guessing they would irritate snakes.

Any tips or stories that would help me learn about this are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
You will find the brown recluse mostly in dark seculed places, nooks and crannys such as closets, boxes, shoes. I have not seen many, but know ppl who have them everywhere. Take their bite seriously and see a dr. if the area becomes swollen and red. You can google it for details about them. My son was bitten once and the area got sore and the redness spread. He went to the dr. I dont know what they gave him but the area got better and he was fine.

Copperheads are fairly common. I have seen more around the house, foundations, rock piles, etc. than in the woods, but that could be because I just didnt see them in the woods. I have never seen one in the garden. Rattlesnakes not as common and I've only encountered them in the woods. I've had dogs get bitten by copperheads. On year all three of my sisters dogs got bitten, one twice. You would think they would learn to leave the snakes alone. There is a medication you can get from the vet if they are badly bitten. In the old days folks would pour bacon greese down their throat. I've never known of a dog dying from a bite. I have known a couple people bitten by copperheads.

My boys use to catch rattlesnakes when they were not much older than your kids. Im glad they are grown. I dont miss finding snakes and scorpions in jars and coffee cans.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I have to admit that I don't understand all the fuss about brown recluse spiders and copperheads. I've lived in Tennessee for over 20 years, I've been camping and hiking all over this state (and real camping, not RV'ing or even tents) and I have never seen a copperhead, nor do I know anyone who has. Oh I'm sure they're out there (as 2mares can attest) but it's just not something that preoccupies my time.

Same with brown recluse spiders. I know they exist, but I've never seen one, been bitten by one, nor do I know anyone who ever has. I know they can be very poisonous, but again, it's just not something that I think about. (Maybe it's also because I regularly set off bug bombs in my house, once a year.)

I would be more concerned with things like ticks and chiggers since they are much more common although not nearly as dangerous. It's just one of the things we have to put up with to live in an area with lots of forests and vegetation. With some of my friends, finding a tick on them after a hike or a campout is seen as a badge of honor (not me!).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-18-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Our house was vacant for almost 3 months before we moved in. We are in the woods with wetlands as well. Neighbors have seen rattlers and black snakes, but we haven't yet (in nearly a month here). While we haven't seen any brown recluses, I still check for them; but we have seen a couple wolf spiders (hairy things). While I was petrified of these critters before we arrived, I'm already settling down and not panicking. Our biggest problem is paper wasps of all kinds: yellow jackets, mahogany, and some others. We've gotten rid of most of them in the shed but not all. Winter will at least put them into dormant states so we can get rid of all the nests in and around the house.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I have to admit that I don't understand all the fuss about brown recluse spiders and copperheads. I've lived in Tennessee for over 20 years, I've been camping and hiking all over this state (and real camping, not RV'ing or even tents) and I have never seen a copperhead, nor do I know anyone who has. Oh I'm sure they're out there (as 2mares can attest) but it's just not something that preoccupies my time.
Your right. They are not something to be concerned about. I do think ppl should educate themselves on any potential dangers tho. Im sure all states have some type of critter that must be dealt with. I remember one thread where a woman was so concerned she asked if Tennesseans let their children play outside. LOL. Ticks and chiggers are definately more of a bother.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks everyone; this is why I was asking. I think if you don't know about a pest, it can seem more menacing than it is. Like I said, I don't worry about black widows because I've grown up with them. The recluse and copperheads are forgein to me.

Since you mention them, are there suggestions for dealing with chiggers and ticks? Is lyme disease prevalent? Thanks in advance for your views.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 AM

Use a repellant. White or light clothing if going in areas of high denisty like woods and fields make it easier to see them if they are crawling on you (ticks). Also be aware what is refered to as seed ticks. These are actually the nymph stage. They are small and difficult to see and will invade you in numbers. I have guineas around the house and it has helped 100x to keep the populations down. Also keep your dogs and cats treated if they go outside.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks, 2mares!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM

91 posts, read 222,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowry075 View Post
Since you mention them, are there suggestions for dealing with chiggers and ticks? Is lyme disease prevalent? Thanks in advance for your views.
I am a big fan of lemon eucalyptus sprays for ticks and mosquitoes. It doesn't beat Deet overall but it doesn't eat up synthetics and plastics either and works well enough. Typically you will only need it when walking into grass knee high or through the woods. Doing tick checks after visits into the wilderness is always a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowry075 View Post
Thanks everyone; this is why I was asking. I think if you don't know about a pest, it can seem more menacing than it is. Like I said, I don't worry about black widows because I've grown up with them. The recluse and copperheads are foreign to me.
Likely nothing to worry about with spiders and snakes. Widows are more dangerous than a recluse for most people. Copperheads can be fairly common around wood piles and blackberry patches. Basically any place a field mouse or rat would go, you will find a snake. The chances of getting bit are REALLY small. Even if a person does get bit the chances of a serious complication is also REALLY small.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
I already said this on another post, but thought maybe folks didn't see it, so here it is again. I worked for the County in Texas, mowing right of ways, building fence, and basically working out in the woods, sometimes in weeds that would tower over a tractor roof. We had a granulated powder called Snake Away that we would sometimes sprinkle around the machines when they were parked. Especially in the winter, since the snakes went for the residule heat from our tractors,and would sometimes surprise us being coiled up under the seats. The main ingredient for the repellent was sulfur. I got a hold of some sulfur in bulk, ground it up, and would sprinkle it around the perimeter of the yard, and throw some up under our house. We never had a snake in the yard after that. I even kept some on my tractor at work, and if I had to go through high weeds, I would rub some on my boots, and pants legs to keep chiggers off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville