Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM

323 posts, read 742,091 times

Advertisements

We have made an offer on a house on Monterey Hwy about 6 miles from downtown. I was full of glee but some people have told me some bad things.
I really want to confirm we are making a good choice in this purchase.

The home is beautiful and huge on 31 acres. Any info even the bad is greatly appreciated. If it's real bad please email me directly. It seems like a beautiful small town WITH the amenities we want...Like a restaurants, stores etc and the hospital is only 6 miles from the house for my almost 90 year old dad if we need it. Right now we are 25 miles from the nearest medical facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:51 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
We have made an offer on a house on Monterey Hwy about 6 miles from downtown. I was full of glee but some people have told me some bad things.
I really want to confirm we are making a good choice in this purchase.

The home is beautiful and huge on 31 acres. Any info even the bad is greatly appreciated. If it's real bad please email me directly. It seems like a beautiful small town WITH the amenities we want...Like a restaurants, stores etc and the hospital is only 6 miles from the house for my almost 90 year old dad if we need it. Right now we are 25 miles from the nearest medical facility.
In an earlier post I thought you said you live only 6 miles from Cookeville right now, so I guess I don't understand how you can be 25 miles from the nearest medical facility when you're only 6 miles from Cookeville.

The hospital in Sparta is pretty small, and it ain't getting any bigger. They're not delivering babies anymore, for example. I know that doesn't effect your 90 year old dad, but it just shows that more and more people from Sparta are going to the hospital in Cookeville.

But that area of White County, between Sparta and Monterey, is BEAUTIFUL. I remember reading a few years ago that it's one of the best places in Tennessee to see fall colors.

I honestly can't see anything wrong with living in White County, particularly since you'll be moving from Jackson County. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Hi TY for replying. I am 6 or so miles from the COUNTY LINE. Not the city of Cookeville.

I don't see whats wrong with Jackson County other than the land is more hilly than I like for our horses and I would like a shorter distance to the stores etc. The people are nice, everyone is friendly. We still have 2 other properties here and my son lives at one of them. He's buying it. I think people have the "old" thoughts of J County. It's nothing like I have heard rumors of in the last 17 years living here. So those thoughts must be very old. Way before my time here. lol Besides. A lot of Cookvillians come right past my house to go to Country Cabin.

I think I will call the hospital and see if they have an emergency room or some sort of unit that if something does happen they can prep for transport to Cookeville. His doctors are in Cookeville anyway. So thats not a problem there. He wants this new place too. He can put an air field in to fly his model airplanes.

The other reason for moving from J County is we haven't found a house large enough for all of us and have the land we need. My husband has quite a few LARGE pieces of equipment and semi's etc. I'd move to Cookeville too if we could find a house suitable with land. Same problem there. If the house is big enough there's no land. If there's land theres a small house.

Here's the link to the house we put an offer on. Maybe if you run across anything else we might like it better. The only problem is with his equipment he has to take the "skinny" roads to get home. Charles Bailey Trucking isn't far from the house.

Real Estate Property Details - First Realty Company, Cookeville (http://www.firstrealty.net/propertysearch/view.php?details=1&idx=1&p_id=471340 - broken link)

Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
Hi TY for replying. I am 6 or so miles from the COUNTY LINE. Not the city of Cookeville.

I don't see whats wrong with Jackson County other than the land is more hilly than I like for our horses and I would like a shorter distance to the stores etc. The people are nice, everyone is friendly. We still have 2 other properties here and my son lives at one of them. He's buying it. I think people have the "old" thoughts of J County. It's nothing like I have heard rumors of in the last 17 years living here. So those thoughts must be very old. Way before my time here. lol Besides. A lot of Cookvillians come right past my house to go to Country Cabin.

I think I will call the hospital and see if they have an emergency room or some sort of unit that if something does happen they can prep for transport to Cookeville. His doctors are in Cookeville anyway. So thats not a problem there. He wants this new place too. He can put an air field in to fly his model airplanes.

The other reason for moving from J County is we haven't found a house large enough for all of us and have the land we need. My husband has quite a few LARGE pieces of equipment and semi's etc. I'd move to Cookeville too if we could find a house suitable with land. Same problem there. If the house is big enough there's no land. If there's land theres a small house.

Here's the link to the house we put an offer on. Maybe if you run across anything else we might like it better. The only problem is with his equipment he has to take the "skinny" roads to get home. Charles Bailey Trucking isn't far from the house.

Real Estate Property Details - First Realty Company, Cookeville (http://www.firstrealty.net/propertysearch/view.php?details=1&idx=1&p_id=471340 - broken link)
That looks nice. I am now officially jealous.

be sure to get a through home inspection and be there when it is happening.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 PM

Thank you. We are sweating right now waiting for a bridge loan to go thru. Praying I know today! We gotta sell these two houses soon. I think my realtor is a bit lazy. I've advertized 5 times more than she has. It will be quite a strain with 2 mortgages.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Update, we hear today about the bridge loan. I'm scared outta my wits. Mom says if these don't sell. Rent them out. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
Hi all,
My husband and I will be retiring in a couple of years, and are looking to buy a home in or around Orme, Tenn. how can I find a good realtor for that area? Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woya View Post
Hi all,
My husband and I will be retiring in a couple of years, and are looking to buy a home in or around Orme, Tenn. how can I find a good realtor for that area? Thanks
I'm not sure why you posted this under this thread since Orme is nowhere near Sparta.

But Orme has been in the news lately. The town has run out of water and is shipping in water from Alabama, and the water is available only 6-9pm.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woya View Post
Hi all,
If you are interested in the Orme area you would get more info. by posting it in the Chattanooga forum. I'm sure someone in the Choo-Choo area can help you out.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
For Orme, look for realtors in South Pittsburg TN, Monteagle TN, Jasper TN, or Bridgeport AL. That should help... Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville