Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times

Advertisements

Cookeville is recognized as one of the country's micropolitan areas, smaller cities which nevertheless function as significant economic hubs. Of the twenty micropolitan areas in Tennessee, Cookeville is the largest; the Cookeville micropolitan area's 2010 Census population was 106,042.

Known as the "Hub of the Upper Cumberlands," approximately 25,000 people travel to Cookeville daily to work, shop, or attend school.

Manufacturing is the largest sector in Cookeville's economy with over 100 plants and 8,000 employees. With 13% of the workforce, retail trade employs about 4,200 people and is the second largest sector in the Cookeville economy. Health care workers comprise about 12% of the work force with 3,840 employees.

As of the census[3] of 2010, there were 30,435 people, 12,471 households, and 6,669 families residing in the city.

Last edited by jguillot; 07-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
are you planning to retire to Cookeville?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
are you planning to retire to Cookeville?
I will be retiring in Cumberland Cove, near Monterey, TN.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Did they happen to list what those 100 manufacturing plants were? I cant for the life of me think of that many. I think that may be deceiving and they are listing small businesses as manufacturing jobs.

For all practical purposes you might as well start saying Monterey instead of near Monterey since your mail will go thru the Monterey post office. I actually live in Mayland in Cumberland Co. but my address is Monterey due to the proximity of the post office.

Sometimes it get old having to explain why your address isn't in the county you live in.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I will be retiring in Cumberland Cove, near Monterey, TN.
How long have you been on the left coast and what made you chose Monterey?

I am fairly recently retired to Cookeville.

welcome

Last edited by newcomputer; 07-30-2013 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: inserted "fairly" because its been 3 yrs

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did they happen to list what those 100 manufacturing plants were? I cant for the life of me think of that many. I think that may be deceiving and they are listing small businesses as manufacturing jobs.

For all practical purposes you might as well start saying Monterey instead of near Monterey since your mail will go thru the Monterey post office. I actually live in Mayland in Cumberland Co. but my address is Monterey due to the proximity of the post office.

Sometimes it get old having to explain why your address isn't in the county you live in.
Hi 2mares,

The information I posted is from Wikipedia.com. The only manufacturer they mentioned that is still in business is Oreck, but I recently read that the company was recently sold, so who knows what will happen in the future with that company. So, I wonder how accurate Wikipedia's information really is. I don't know the area like you do, but Cookeville is not a very large city, so I have to agree with you that Wikipedia's information is questionable.

Yes, it is true that my mail in Cumberland Cove will be coming through the Monterey, TN post office. Fewer people outside of your area have ever heard of Monterey, so I sometimes say that I will be retiring between Cookeville and Crossville. I'll have to begin to say I'm retiring in Monterey, TN. If I say to people where I current live that I'm retiring in Monterey, they will think I'm referring to Monterey, California. I could never afford to retire there, nor would I want to.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
How long have you been on the left coast and what made you chose Monterey?

I am fairly recently retired to Cookeville.

welcome
Hi boogie'smom,

I've been in California since the Air Force sent me there in 1977; far too long. I can't wait to leave this state! I'm originally from the south (Louisiana) and I very much want to return to the south. I don't want to return to Louisiana due to the hurricane threat there, so my wife and I began to consider Tennessee back around 2006. After visiting Tennessee several times and researching several different areas, we decided to purchase property in Cumberland Cove in Monterey, TN. We love the area, its close proximity to many state parks and Smoky Mountains National Park, the friendly people, beautiful scenery, lower cost of living, etc. In addition, we will be close to my wife's brother who lives in Clarksville and my cousin who lives in Knoxville.

How do you like Cookeville?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Sorry it took me so long to answer!

I went to college here in the 70's, so it was like coming home to me. I like it. I have had a little trouble getting use to the social/political climate, but I am learning when to speak and when to keep my thoughts to myself.

I was born near Los Angeles and have spent some time in San Diego. I like TN best. I have been here most of my life.

Welcome

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
I suspect that the 100 manufacturing plants are in Putnam, White, Overton, Jackson and maybe Cumberland.

I have not spent time reading both sites, but I think it has listing of most employers in Putnam, White, Overton and Jackson counties. Cookeville Chamber- Community Profiles - Cookeville and http://www.cookevillechamber.com/Eco...hics/index.php

Last edited by Brian; 08-13-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville