U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times

Advertisements

Hello Jstravelin,

My family and I are new to Cookeville. We moved here last summer from Northern California. I thought I would share as well. We to wanted a slower pace and out of California honestly. We did a lot of research as to where to relocate. We also came out here a year prior to check out Cookeville and Crossville. We setteled on Cookeville and could not be happier. We chose to be north of town about five miles. At first we were thinking that we wanted to be further. I am glad that we did not go further. We do go to Nashville for doctors appointments and shopping. It is not too far of a drive and is beautiful to boot. The weather this year has been different to say the least. The locals said this was highly unusual. The reason I mention that is because of the ice. We have children in school so that is a big factor. So that is something that you should consider. When we looked at homes on our first visit the realtor made a comment about a mountain and the ice. We chuckeled because it was more like a hill and we thought how bad could it be. Lets just say we are happy we did not move up to that hill because of the ice. It is absolutely beautiful here and have loved everything about it. We are amazed at the kindness of everyone. We feel unbelieveably safe. There has been nothing that we feel we are lacking. There is great theater and a ton of restaurants. If I had to say anything that might be somewhat negative it would be that people follow you very closely while driving. Coming from Sacramento, that might not be a big deal. At first I thought they were mad at me until they went by and than they just waved. We came back in the summer to make sure we could handle the humidity and we were able to. We have just changed our schedules to fit around the heat. We now sit on the back porch and drink tea. Our children range from 4 to 20 and they were very nervous about moving here. They absolutely love it, especially our oldest. The young people here are very kind and very respectable. I should also tell you we did look at Baxter and we are very happy we chose north Cookeville. The flowering trees are just starting to come out. Our childrens bus driver said that was his favorite time of the year. I cannot wait to see as fall was spectacular! Enjoy your trip. I have a brother who lives in your area and hoping to get them here someday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM

12,540 posts, read 35,001,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7macgregors View Post
Hello Jstravelin,

My family and I are new to Cookeville. We moved here last summer from Northern California. I thought I would share as well. We to wanted a slower pace and out of California honestly. We did a lot of research as to where to relocate. We also came out here a year prior to check out Cookeville and Crossville. We setteled on Cookeville and could not be happier. We chose to be north of town about five miles. At first we were thinking that we wanted to be further. I am glad that we did not go further. We do go to Nashville for doctors appointments and shopping. It is not too far of a drive and is beautiful to boot. The weather this year has been different to say the least. The locals said this was highly unusual. The reason I mention that is because of the ice. We have children in school so that is a big factor. So that is something that you should consider. When we looked at homes on our first visit the realtor made a comment about a mountain and the ice. We chuckeled because it was more like a hill and we thought how bad could it be. Lets just say we are happy we did not move up to that hill because of the ice. It is absolutely beautiful here and have loved everything about it. We are amazed at the kindness of everyone. We feel unbelieveably safe. There has been nothing that we feel we are lacking. There is great theater and a ton of restaurants. If I had to say anything that might be somewhat negative it would be that people follow you very closely while driving. Coming from Sacramento, that might not be a big deal. At first I thought they were mad at me until they went by and than they just waved. We came back in the summer to make sure we could handle the humidity and we were able to. We have just changed our schedules to fit around the heat. We now sit on the back porch and drink tea. Our children range from 4 to 20 and they were very nervous about moving here. They absolutely love it, especially our oldest. The young people here are very kind and very respectable. I should also tell you we did look at Baxter and we are very happy we chose north Cookeville. The flowering trees are just starting to come out. Our childrens bus driver said that was his favorite time of the year. I cannot wait to see as fall was spectacular! Enjoy your trip. I have a brother who lives in your area and hoping to get them here someday.
What a wonderful post! Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Cookeville!

I would like to point out that driving to Nashville to see the doctor isn't something that has to be done by very many people, so I hope the OP won't get the wrong impression. And I agree with you about the North Cookeville area. I have several friends from Utah who live just north of town and absolutely love it. I'm still trying to get a job in Cookeville and if successful, North Cookeville is definitely on my radar.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,453,501 times
Looks like a lot of folks from California are moving to the general area. I visited a month ago and am now in escrow for a home on Lake Tansi. We chose Crossville mainly because I have two 10 year olds and they liked the idea of living right on the lake with a dock in the back yard. (We currently live a few blocks from a lake in southern CA.)

We looked at Cookeville and liked what we saw, but were staying at a timeshare in Crossville and liked the lake living even more

Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 8,798 times
Wanted to thank everyone who responded. We leave in a little over a week and I'm so ready!

the7macgregors~ Thanks for your wonderful honest post. Like you, I would have never given any thought to ice. I will now look at drive ways with a new perspective. The thing I think will be the hardest to get accustomed to will be the heat with humidity. When it's 95 degrees here for two months you go out in the morning or evening unless you can not avoid it. The positives seem to out weigh the negatives ten fold!

lae60~ Congratulations on your move. Your kids are going to love living at a lake year round. What a wonderful experience you are giving them, (I have twins too… they are now 19)

Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,262,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstravelin View Post
Wanted to thank everyone who responded. We leave in a little over a week and I'm so ready!

the7macgregors~ Thanks for your wonderful honest post. Like you, I would have never given any thought to ice. I will now look at drive ways with a new perspective. The thing I think will be the hardest to get accustomed to will be the heat with humidity. When it's 95 degrees here for two months you go out in the morning or evening unless you can not avoid it. The positives seem to out weigh the negatives ten fold!

lae60~ Congratulations on your move. Your kids are going to love living at a lake year round. What a wonderful experience you are giving them, (I have twins too… they are now 19)

Being from Southern California I thought humidity would be a challenge for me. Turns out the humidity was not that bad and I don't think that much about it. The bugs are really not that bad either. At least we don't have flying cockroaches like some states.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,645 times
Good advice. I live in Big Rock, TN and Clarksville is the closest city for us, so we've been traveling there for practically everything since we moved here 20 years ago. It's FULL of young military men and to be quite honest they are MOSTLY a bunch of irresponsible, holier than thou kind of people, and they cause a lot of fights, wrecks, and other nonsense drama that I don't care for even when I visit there. Cocky, arrogant, idiots...

Also, unless you get out of Clarksville itself, and out further like Adams TN where there is more rural area, it's pretty jam packed and they are building more and more crappy subdivisions every day. (quickly, cheaply made... my brother is an electrician in the area and wires most of those houses).

I know this original post is OLD, but in case anyone knew comes across it and is looking for more information about Clarksville, I just thought I would put my two cents in as a very seasoned "Clarkville-goer". Ft. Campbell is also right above Clarksville, in KY, and their constant training they do some times is sure to rattle your house, even from where I live in Big Rock, TN. Our house shakes and sometimes they start early and wake us up... It's been going on for 20 years and I am just SO sick of it by now. We are planning to head closer to Cookeville in February of next year, and can't wait to get closer to the mountains, waterfalls, and beautiful lakes East TN has to offer.

My advice, especially if someone needs to come this far to West, TN, and doesn't care to be in the city, would be to check out Stewart County, TN (where I live and have for 20 years), or even Houston County or Henry... But the more East you can get in TN, the better... Or at least that's what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville