U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 PM

175 posts, read 203,604 times

Advertisements

Huge news!!!

Have you see Mayor Ricky Shelton's Facebook post tonight too?

https://www.facebook.com/MayorRickyShelton?fref=nf

Also, rumor is a Panera Bread and Chipotle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 06:47 AM

12,556 posts, read 35,066,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex123 View Post
Huge news!!!

Have you see Mayor Ricky Shelton's Facebook post tonight too?

https://www.facebook.com/MayorRickyShelton?fref=nf

Also, rumor is a Panera Bread and Chipotle.
I could see Panera and Chipotle. I'm curious what the other two restaurants are. Mayor Shelton mentioned in his Facebook post that there are still a few hurdles for the developers to overcome. I wonder what they are.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 AM

833 posts, read 1,454,805 times
OK, Let's have some fun and see how we do. Post the 4 restaurants you think will be the ones that come there. Then, add on any other's you think would also be a good fit there and you'd like to see in Cookeville.

My 4:

Panera
Quoba
Panda Express
Red Robin

Others: Chipotle, Culvers (or Freddy's), Jason's Deli, Potbellys

Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Hmm I guess my top 4 would be:

Panera
Mellow Mushroom
Panda Express
Jason's Deli

Honorable mention:

Culver's
Mimi's Cafe
Taziki's

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2015, 08:23 AM

833 posts, read 1,454,805 times
The 4 I picked are ones that I think will come, they aren't really my top choices. They're just the one's I think will end up here.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM

311 posts, read 344,038 times
I'm glad to see this development come to Cookeville. With a larger variety of retail shops, people won't have to travel to the Nashville or Knoxville areas(as often) to shop.

Cookeville has long been a regional "hub", but I can't help but wonder how a huge development such as this one will affect the surrounding areas of the Upper Cumberland.

Residents from smaller cites such as Sparta/White County, Gainesboro/ Jackson County, and Livingston/Overton County are well-connected to Cookeville and regularly commute to and fro to shop and work. Crossville/Cumberland County residents are well-connected to Cookeville also, but are only 45 mins to one hour away from even more retail offerings in Knoxville. It will be interesting to see whether or not Cookeville can attract some of the Crossville shoppers who would have otherwise traveled to Knoxville.

Side question: Putnam and Cumberland are by far the largest counties (by population) in the Upper Cumberland region, but are phenomenally different on the retail level. Does this essentially eliminate the chances for Crossville to develop its own collection of retail stores?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 AM

919 posts, read 1,075,145 times
Cumberland's population is dominated by retirees; therefore, retail will use those demographics; stuck between Knoxville and Cookeville doesn't help much either.

Crazy rumor that Joe's Crab Shack is coming; I don't believe that one....there are only three in Tennessee, and cities like Hendersonville, Franklin and Murfreesboro do not have those.

I would bet that Red Robin and Panera Bread are two of the so called four.

I'm glad it's officially official now rather than unofficially official; and the Mayor's cautions appears to be lip service, one of the biggest hurdles has already been cleared.....tenants. My wife is uber excited about Ulta....I am excited about Publix.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 AM

111 posts, read 438,262 times
Joe's Crab Shack, Red Robin, more independently owned restaurants and, for my wife, a White Castle.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 AM

Crossville is also inhibited in available workers. I know it seems strange since Cumberland County's unemployment rate is considerably higher than Putnam County's. But I read somewhere, I think in the Upper Cumberland Business Journal, that one reason Cookeville has so many restaurants and retail is because of the wealth of available part-time employees--college students. Also, Crossville is much more isolated than Cookeville. Cookeville's ZIP codes go into four different counties; Cookeville's trade area, in essence, covers those four counties specifically in addition to the rest of the 14-county Upper Cumberland area. To put it another way: There are three other county seats within 20 miles of Cookeville: Gainesboro, Livingston, and Sparta. Within 20 miles of Crossville there are no other county seats. It doesn't hurt, either, that there are two major highways intersecting in Cookeville, Interstate 40 and Hwy 111 which is interstate grade, making it a lot easier and convenient to get to Cookeville than to Crossville.

And as Sparkman said, Crossville has pretty much given its soul to the retirement world. Just look at retirement areas in Florida to see what they've become compared to college towns. Ocala vs. Gainesville is a classic example and pretty much mirrors Crossville vs. Cookeville, albeit on a larger scale.

At any rate, back to the restaurants. I would loooove a Joe's Crab Shack! While I agree that it's probably far-fetched, I would be lined up the first day it opens.

I've heard that Red Robin is in major expansion mode right now so I could see that coming. And Panera. Same with Chipotle and/or Qboda. I read that Taziki's is trying to add several more locations in Middle Tennessee, too, which would suit me just fine if they landed in Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM

111 posts, read 438,262 times
From the UCBJ:

UCBJ – Upper Cumberland Business Journal » BREAKING: Site plan for ‘Shoppes’ shows Publix, Academy stores coming to Cookeville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville