U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 PM

829 posts, read 1,449,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I don't get it. If they purchase property along the Falling Water River and restore it does that mean they will then donate the property back to the people? What exactly is restoring the property?
They'll own it, restore it as a wetland, can never be developed. I'm sure there are tax incentives for them to keep the land, if those end, they'd donate it to a local government. Minor cost for them to get this project approved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 AM

421 posts, read 380,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
They'll own it, restore it as a wetland, can never be developed. I'm sure there are tax incentives for them to keep the land, if those end, they'd donate it to a local government. Minor cost for them to get this project approved.
Do we really want some commercial builder whose real goal is to build a shopping center to tamper with a critical natural resource like the Falling Water River?

I would rather see them do the ecological footprint swap with a less critical resource.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM

12,542 posts, read 35,005,476 times
Quote:
Do we really want some commercial builder whose real goal is to build a shopping center to tamper with a critical natural resource like the Falling Water River?

I would rather see them do the ecological footprint swap with a less critical resource.
People have been monkeying around with wetlands for decades. Other land owners have destroyed wetlands in the past without repercussion, including around the Falling Water River. Browning is proposing that they restore some of the wetlands that had previously been tampered with around the Falling Water River in order to make up for the wetlands that will be lost with this new shopping center. Since they will be doing this with the blessings of the government, there will be strict oversight. I am very comfortable with the arrangement that Browning is proposing, particularly since the "wetlands" they're removing for this shopping center are little more than stagnant ponds that appear only after hard rains.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 10-29-2015, 10:13 AM

917 posts, read 1,070,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
People have been monkeying around with wetlands for decades. Other land owners have destroyed wetlands in the past without repercussion, including around the Falling Water River. Browning is proposing that they restore some of the wetlands that had previously been tampered with around the Falling Water River in order to make up for the wetlands that will be lost with this new shopping center. Since they will be doing this with the blessings of the government, there will be strict oversight. I am very comfortable with the arrangement that Browning is proposing, particularly since the "wetlands" they're removing for this shopping center are little more than stagnant ponds that appear only after hard rains.
Stagnate ponds chiefly attributable to manmade water run off. Storm water run off regulations has advanced light years since commercial activity began on that side of Interstate Drive.

I am all for Browning's good corporate citizenship initiative to restore wetlands; of course, it's mostly self-serving as a swap for approval form TDEC, but the end is what matters. Tax dollars flow back into Cookeville instead of flowing out to Mt. Juliet or Knoxville, UC citizens win with more consumer choice, and a significant number of acres of wetlands are restored and/or preserved.

Win. Win. Win.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 AM

I'm all for the new shopping center. I just think the purchasing of private land by a private corporation and the restoration work done next to the Falling Water River is unnecessary for this deal and it could end badly for the people. I would rather see the land purchased and then immediately donated to the State Parks department with the funds needed for the state to do the restoration work.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm all for the new shopping center. I just think the purchasing of private land by a private corporation and the restoration work done next to the Falling Water River is unnecessary for this deal and it could end badly for the people. I would rather see the land purchased and then immediately donated to the State Parks department with the funds needed for the state to do the restoration work.
TDEC is not to be trifled with; private investment restoration of wetlands isn't a new concept. Who will upkeep the property once donated? TDEC oversight will ensure the wetlands are properly maintained without taxpayer maintenance funds other than the cost of oversight.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Here is a TDEC Public Notice statement that provides more detail on the issue.

trifled and de minimis

Last edited by Jumeby; 10-29-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Here is a TDEC Public Notice statement that provides more detail on the issue.

trifled and de minimis
When concerning TDEC and storm water run off and/or wetlands, don't trivialize their seriousness.

treat (someone or something) without seriousness or respect.
"he is not a man to be trifled with"

Would be interesting to attend that meeting. Of course, the Non ETW is the manmade run off we can see in those pictures from the link above provided by Jumeby (thanks), I wonder what makes the 2.7 acres ETW....snail darters?

Anyway, not to trivialize snail darters...why are these TDEC notices only now happening? Perhaps Browning and their partners from Knoxville first had to secure tenants.

And what in the world will it take to get those TVA lines taken care of in order to proceed?

Last edited by tragenvol; 10-29-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 PM

12,542 posts, read 35,005,476 times
While the outcome is far from certain, I am encouraged to see that TDEC says in its own public notice that, "The
department has reviewed this information and determined that the proposed activity is necessary
to accommodate important economic or social development in the area." I take this as meaning that TDEC is definitely willing to work with the developers to make this shopping center happen at this location.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 10-29-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:22 PM

175 posts, read 203,470 times
I wonder after the Dec 3 hearing how long it will take for their decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville