U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 12:22 PM

421 posts, read 382,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Not sure how their mission of "protecting the planet" equates to destroying the American Dream, but they sure are tampering with my dream of a Publix in Cookeville...for now.

Like most radical progressive liberal groups ... their stated mission is not sincere and not consistent with their executed mission ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:46 PM

917 posts, read 1,073,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Like most radical progressive liberal groups ... their stated mission is not sincere and not consistent with their executed mission ...
So, what you're implying, albeit indirectly, is that there are some radical progressive liberal groups whose stated mission is sincere and consistent with their executed mission? Only kidding.

I am not a member of the Sierra Club, nor do I disagree with the notion that protecting the planet is a bad idea, but I do not believe that their sole purpose of existence is to destroy the American Dream...I do however understand how their ideology can conflict directly and/or indirectly with what some of us perceive as prosperity, e.g. Publix coming to town, but seriously....not buying the Destroyer of the American Dream bit...even though their contention seems a bit irrational. The loss to the environment weighed against the gain for the environment appears to be a win for all.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 PM

12,551 posts, read 35,045,962 times
If this wet-weather swamp is so vital, why doesn't the Sierra Club put its money where its mouth is, buy the land and pay for its upkeep? I feel sorry for the land owner who's been jerked around and, if the Sierra Club wins out, will be stuck with a worthless piece of property.

Otherwise, according to the Sierra Club, the developer is required to prove that the land they want to develop is the only land available. I think the developer has a good argument since this particular lot is the only one in town that faces the interstate, is located between two exits, and is on a major city artery. Browning can easily argue, it seems to me, that for this kind of development, this is the only land available in town.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 12-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If this wet-weather swamp is so vital, why doesn't the Sierra Club put its money where its mouth is, buy the land and pay for its upkeep? I feel sorry for the land owner who's been jerked around and, if the Sierra Club wins out, will be stuck with a worthless piece of property.

Otherwise, according to the Sierra Club, the developer is required to prove that the land they want to develop is the only land available. I think the developer has a good argument since this particular lot is the only one in town that faces the interstate, is located between two exits, and is on a major city artery. Browning can easily argue, it seems to me, that for this kind of development, this is the only land available in town.
Agreed.

And isn't the Sierra Club's contention merely their attorney's argument that TEDC's conclusion is wrong, and the developer did not meet the above mentioned standard.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM

175 posts, read 203,542 times
This is just ridiculous. I wonder when we will find out an update on what is next since its "unclear"

Old 12-03-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
So, what you're implying, albeit indirectly, is that there are some radical progressive liberal groups whose stated mission is sincere and consistent with their executed mission? Only kidding.

I am not a member of the Sierra Club, nor do I disagree with the notion that protecting the planet is a bad idea, but I do not believe that their sole purpose of existence is to destroy the American Dream...I do however understand how their ideology can conflict directly and/or indirectly with what some of us perceive as prosperity, e.g. Publix coming to town, but seriously....not buying the Destroyer of the American Dream bit...even though their contention seems a bit irrational. The loss to the environment weighed against the gain for the environment appears to be a win for all.
The Sierra club is no longer what they started as ... just as many other good "save the earth" organizations that changed ... like Greenpeace ... they have been taken over by anti-America radical groups ...

The Democracy Initiative: The Sierra Club and other “greens” lead an effort to fundamentally transform America

Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Capital Research Center (CRC) is an American conservative non-profit organization; so, most any article presented by the CRC would be not so favorable toward a "leftist" organization. That article doesn't strike me as absolute proof that the Sierra Club has been radicalized by folks wanting to destroy the American Dream....it strikes me as someone's opinion. I could write an opinion that my 8 year-old brother fell to Earth from Mars, and I don't even have an eight year old brother....

But, this thread isn't about politics or political leanings or opinions of either...so I apologize to the posters for my part in perpetuating such.

But we seem to all agree that the Sierra Club's actions are irrational in this instance....and that my friends is a middle ground...if only other divisive issues could be solved so easily.....

Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Capital Research Center (CRC) is an American conservative non-profit organization; so, most any article presented by the CRC would be not so favorable toward a "leftist" organization. That article doesn't strike me as absolute proof that the Sierra Club has been radicalized by folks wanting to destroy the American Dream....it strikes me as someone's opinion. I could write an opinion that my 8 year-old brother fell to Earth from Mars, and I don't even have an eight year old brother....

But, this thread isn't about politics or political leanings or opinions of either...so I apologize to the posters for my part in perpetuating such.

But we seem to all agree that the Sierra Club's actions are irrational in this instance....and that my friends is a middle ground...if only other divisive issues could be solved so easily.....
The Sierra club protesting the economic development project in Cookeville is a political action. We all know that the land in question is typical of Tennessee landscape so the Sierra club has no true "green" or "ecology" justifications for the protest.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:16 PM

175 posts, read 203,542 times
Maybe Sierra Club is putting up a fight to resist it because they have to, but they still know it could happen. Aren't there Sierra Club members on City Council and the City Council has already approved this project?

Old 12-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
The Sierra club protesting the economic development project in Cookeville is a political action. We all know that the land in question is typical of Tennessee landscape so the Sierra club has no true "green" or "ecology" justifications for the protest.
I can agree with your assessment as a political action, if not politically motivated....but what I was getting at was the politics of discussing whether or not the Sierra Club was bent on destroying capitalism....that isn't what this thread is about....as infuriating as their action may be....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville