Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:51 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Up here we also have to sign for certain drugs. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'd rather have to sign than put up with meth plants all over (in the back seat of cars for God's sake), and druggies wandering the streets. Granted we still have them around, but it's not as bad. And since winter has set in with a vengeance they're all moving south. From the sounds of it a lot of them are ending up in Knoxville this year.

They also have to protect the anhydrous ammonia tanks on the farms. Scumbags pull up, hitch them to a vehicle, and off they go. More meth!

I am in favor of a "shoot on sight" policy if someone is seen stealing these tanks. It's the same as shooting any other vermin, like rats, that carry a plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Tennessee has a drug problem. While you may be able to avoid interaction with dealers, you are not going to be able to escape the impact of the users' addictions (plenty of theft and car accidents).
America has a drug problem. It becomes more obvious in small towns and in rural areas as it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sadly the worst impact from meth is all the children that become wards of the state. In 2004 there were like 600 children that year alone who became the responsibility of the state of Tennessee and subsequently, the tax payers. A truly saddening aspect that all too often we forget. The cost in human life.

As other posters have mentioned, there are efforts under way to help stop this, but all these efforts at best only curb the problem and don't eliminate it. If it saves the life of a single child, then I will be more than happy to cope with the inconvenience at the drug stores.

Quote:
They also have to protect the anhydrous ammonia tanks on the farms. Scumbags pull up, hitch them to a vehicle, and off they go. More meth
This could almost fall under the category of state/national security. As it can also be used in the making of explosives and may fall under something Homeland security would look into. The TBI if nothing else.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM

219 posts, read 810,821 times
I say do what the chinese did. Round up every known drug dealer; no matter how big or small. Round them up in the town square and shoot them in the head.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:40 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Cool I say do what the Chinese did.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by john tabin View Post
I say do what the Chinese did. Round up every known drug dealer; no matter how big or small. Round them up in the town square and shoot them in the head.
Now that's not politically correct...... why waste a good piece of lead when a good sturdy rope will do........

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Well. I live in a small town in Texas and we have no meth problem. The problem here is weed and cocaine.
I have lived in the Cookeville area, which is only 30 minutes from Crossville and being from a small town in Northeast Texas, I prefer to live here. When I grew up, I didn't even know what meth was, then I went back to Texas to visit for Christmas and guess what...my little town their has a big meth problem. I suggest you take some time to look the area over. You need to visit the area eaterys, stores...gander in Wal-marts, look around at the people. You will learn a lot that way. I moved here four years ago and love it.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Well. I live in a small town in Texas and we have no meth problem. The problem here is weed and cocaine.
Crack/Cocaine is the drug of choice in Oak Ridge per our ORPD. We don't have a meth problem.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Tennessee Meth Offender Registry Database

Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
Sounds like there may be an opportunity for pharmaceutical sales in Crossville.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 AM

445 posts, read 1,682,554 times
Default Meth

Meth or Crystal Meth is one of the most prevalant problems facing the US today. It has moved up to the drug of choice amongst many drug users. In most areas of the country there is so much crime going on that the meth labs being shut down and meth busts are little news. In an area such as Cumberland County this is widely published because there is so other little crime in the area that this makes front page news.

Your children will find drugs no matter where they live if that is what they choose to do. I have a feeling though that you have been teaching them all along and have good strong family values and that more than anything is what keeps them away.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
I have never noticed anyone in Crossville looking like a meth-head. Although, the Lantana Rd area looks a little rough. I think almost every small town, even the richie ones, in America has some drug problem or another - particularly amongst the youth, who are bored. Meth is a huge problem in Tennessee's rural areas, but I really wouldn't be concerned with it as an issue of whether or not to move to Crossville. It is a lovely area, my home away from home. The area is growing quickly and a lot of retirees are pumping money into the area. The home prices have gone crazy over the past 5 years (although still well below the national average). Do a thread search or post search on Crossville and Fairfield Glade. There are quite a few of us Cd'ers who love Crossville. A reputable real estate agent will steer you clear of any questionable areas. I worked with one a few years ago, but ended up buying in Chattanooga instead (where my job was). My agent was so great - very down to earth and honest. Not afraid to deal with an out-of-town buyer's questions and needs. I'd be happy to DM his name to anyone interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville