Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM

421 posts, read 1,685,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-money View Post
liqour law was pased ,more than 2 years ago,only no restaurants have come to baxter to take advantage,u can only sell liqour while serving food,but the law was passed yes to liqour.the sign at the vineyard says a '"taste of cookeville".is that what baxter needs?who is this sign refering to? ,people from baxter thats who!!like people from baxter need some taste?get a glass and have some class,huh?while your at it pass the grey poupon please.capitolisim dont ya love it.im not gonna hand over a check or kiss a baby to sell my mad dog 20/20.if i wanted to slip in and sell booze i should be more tacticle huh ,theres always gonna be someone like me thats gonna try and make a buck,but i never know the right ones to cut the check out to.maybe i can learn from getting a taste of cookeville like the vineyard sign says,but maybe baxter or whomever the sign is refering to doesnt want a taste of cookeville..
If liquor by the drink was actually passed 2 years ago,then what's rev's argument? If it was voted on and passed in the city then it would be inevitable that someone would eventually come in and sell it.That still dosen't mean you're gonna be able to open your drive through ice cream shop/liquor store though.Winerys(especially with restaurants) have different rules than others.Not just in the city of Baxter either.

firepower

Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM

421 posts, read 1,685,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnrev View Post

to the member who decided to refer to dreams, maybe living and raising children in a town without alcohol is getting harder and harder to find,and there are those among you who value this a great deal,as it has been our Countries History to bring on the booze when they have failed us in every other aspect, they choose to anestetize us as opposed to fixing the ills, and in this case thats the economy.

Those that are educated know only too well that the lifting of Prohibition in America was for no reason other than to right the failing economy during the depression,and this tactic has been used for years to quiet or numb the masses in a particular community, it generates money in all kinds of ways not just tax on liquor, it's the rise in court monies as well, generated from DUI's, assaults, burglaries, public intoxication, etc. etc. etc. all things that up until now have stayed way below the National Average in Baxter,the list is endless as to it's destruction of lives.

I believe another educated member has correctly informed you of the deer problem,and why they can be seen within blocks of city areas..point made... urban blight leads to displacement of these animals, which increases traffic accidents and deaths of both deer and people, thus decreasing the population of both, I know I would trade that for a bottle of vino..(NOT)

Most Importantly It appears that most who have responded,haven't addressed the most alarming point at all, So I will help keep Focus a bit now.
No one addressed how it is that the Delmonacos have managed to skirt the law as it concerns this sale of wine, not even stores in Cookeville have this priveledge as of yet, and to my knowledge no law stating it to be legal has been voted on(so how do they know in advance it will be passed ?)

These upscale resturants that are being refered to as possibly coming to our area as a result,lets not forget that it was putnam County and Cookeville that used the no liquor sales in the County ploy to encourage the Fancy Chain Resturants that line Interstate drive to ever build in the first place,stating they would have control over pricing on liquor by the drink,as there were no other options for its sale other than beer allowed here.
That was a major factor in bringing places like O'Charlies,Outback,Logans, Clili's,Applebees, etc. etc.

[]
Ok rev,

First.It's funny you keep talking about Baxter & the west end of the county as if they don't sell alcohol at all.THEY BOTH DO! Baxter has sold beer forever & even went out & annexed the Homestead Lounge just for the beer taxes.A place that's been in trouble many times for selling to underage kids & drugs.The owners were just arrested recently for something,I remember seeing it in the Herald.You think this winery/restaurant is gonna give the Baxter P.D. 1/8 the problems that the Homestead has? NO. Will it put a bunch of drunk drivers on the road like the Homestead does? NO.
Opening a winery in the edge of the city is not akin to "lifting prohibition" as you keep trying to allude to.It was lifted a long time ago & if the city of Baxter voted it in there's no recourse.Maybe it would be better for you if the property was NOT in the city.I'm sorry but I just don't believe a winery,that will only sell its own wine on site not anywhere else,will increase all those crimes you mention.The people that are out driving around drunk have a beer between their legs that can be bought at any number of places in Baxter,not a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Second,your point about the deer population was NOT made.And your comments are just nothing but sensationalism.I know why I can see deer in downtown Cookeville.Yes I know they are being displaced to some extent.But you said the whitetail population was "dwindling" and that's a lie.Their numbers are higher now than ever before.I see more deer in town AND I see more in the most rural places that I go.And "urban blight" pushing the deer out? Baxter has been full of urban blight for years.Look around downtown.This new winery most definitely will not add to the urban blight of Baxter.And the winery leading to the decrease of both the deer AND the people population?That's ridiculous! More sensationalism.

And I'm sorry but the winerys are not skirting the law.There is no law against winerys,or said winerys selling their own wine at their own place.If you think they are skirting the law,why don't you go talk with Mayor Wilhite or Executive Blaylock.I'm sure they'll sit down & talk with you about it.

firepower

Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,390,213 times
I don't believe B-Money really exists.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,347 times
Default i exist!!

im 35 male ,just looking 4 answers,cause im just hearing about the winery,i think that this is america and we should all pursue happiness and welth,i may be ignorant baxter redneck but i havent been enlighted by whats goin on in my community and how this could benifit or hurt my surrounding areas.i admire anyone with vision but why would anyone want to bring a high end community,with a wineryat the entrance of a neighborhood,like i said i admire vision,but the idea of someone outside my community, wanting to bring cookeville into my community in the name of progress and prosperity,makes me sceptable.put aside the moral issue and put yourself in my shoes,the homestead was closed for doing what the winery is intending to do,one way or the other the winery will affect baxter,good or bad,just depends who and where you are in baxter.but dont dress it up,its selling booze,which generates money,but for who?heck,im just glad to see any argument,have a dialog,to address everyones opinion.no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to property.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM

15 posts, read 39,855 times
Default propaganda abound

I am quite aware of the liquor by the drink laws in cookeville,but this is not Cookeville were talking about ,not the outskirts not the very edge not any part whatsoever, it is a hidden patch of rural farm land,sitting in an area that by the register of deeds office maps declares it to be solidly in Baxter Corporate limits in putnam county unincorporated..and the Homestead didn't sell liquor either only beer,and thanks for reminding me that too, has been closed because the people couldnt even keep their cool with that small establishment.maybe they should have started with 3.2 beer and worked their way up to the adult drinks. I'm sure it's existance has been greatly missed by those who frequented it only certainly isnt missed by the community on a whole

as far as the liquor laws being passed in Cookeville over two years ago in resturants,,,lets get real here, if the entire town of Baxter frequented this proposed ficticious resturant it couldnt bring it's food sales to the level required to keep their liquor license, thats why none are here.

It's obvious that I have lost my mind, most here seem to favor the love of money over family values, and some of us seem to be overwhelmed by my statements regarding whitetail deer,and just for clarafication the dwindling population of them ,that I was refering too, was just in the area of interest, not the entire state....

So I apologize for taking a tact that seems to have the drunkards drooling, and the deer hunters breaking out their field and stream mags to ease their concerns, but 10 years from now I would like to see a poll of those that actualy live in the area I am talking about and ask them the pros and cons of their new developements..

as to the laws governing the sale of wine at a reception hall /vinyard I wasnt aware of the differences, if you scroll through my past posts you will see I was well aware of liquor by the drink at resturanats in Cookeville,but not here, and certainly no package liquor sales, and that is what this vinyard would amount too ,as I am not aware of any way that they could keep the high volume of food sales required by the ABC for it to qualify,

So if it's liquor Baxter wants Good luck with that...it will greatly increase the customers at my new BB stacking, minnow racing, human bowling bean with bacon serving drive thru theme park.....Since I consider myself to be my brothers keeper, I guess from now on I will just have to keep them in a cage.

let the games begin..........................midtnrev

Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Default thoughtful and honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-money View Post
im 35 male ,just looking 4 answers,cause im just hearing about the winery,i think that this is america and we should all pursue happiness and welth,i may be ignorant baxter redneck but i havent been enlighted by whats goin on in my community and how this could benifit or hurt my surrounding areas.i admire anyone with vision but why would anyone want to bring a high end community,with a wineryat the entrance of a neighborhood,like i said i admire vision,but the idea of someone outside my community, wanting to bring cookeville into my community in the name of progress and prosperity,makes me sceptable.put aside the moral issue and put yourself in my shoes,the homestead was closed for doing what the winery is intending to do,one way or the other the winery will affect baxter,good or bad,just depends who and where you are in baxter.but dont dress it up,its selling booze,which generates money,but for who?heck,im just glad to see any argument,have a dialog,to address everyones opinion.no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to property.
I have to say that this is a more civic minded approach taken by this member,and their concerns are not unwarranted it too concerns me that with all this cookeville talk, that these developers believe that we are just a small town with no say,and they can just play fatty rolled over and skinny falls off, well we're not going away, and I agree we do exist !!
thanks for your serious imput B....midtnrev

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 17,347 times
Default come on rev

the developers dont care about the deer!!or the community,if the deer went extinct they could care less,if half the town become winos and crime rate rose,its all about money.your fightin a uphill battle.the winery is just a stepping stone,in 5 years from now progress will permit developers to build build build!if they can build a community based on a wine store woven into its structure,there will be others to follow.me and my wife may enjoy traveling around to varios topless bars,and if i can get the powers that be to build a community based on a strip club,the developers will start moving dirt as soon as i get a check to the right person.and rev i know you want to keep wine and liqour and all of the problems that goes with it ,out of your area,sorry guy the sign says its coming !the moral line has been moved and blurred,like the wine thing,this guy found a way to slip in and get community backing.even the bible thumpers say jesus drank wine.im kinda on the fence cause this future neighborhood is less than 3 miles from my property where i want to open a liqour store,like others the prospect of money overides my moral standing and beliefs

Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 AM

240 posts, read 1,153,158 times
Why are someone people oppossed to growth. Sometimes growth helps everyone and sometimes a few. But people need to understand that if we keep the growth down and let people buy from outside the united states let alone outside tn, it only hurts the people that live in TN. Let things grow and be happy for some new things. I know you don't want a Federal Jail or an airport. Let things move on. I agree with Firepower.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Default My Last Declaration

Well I see know after reading all posts,that this thread like so many others on line is getting skewed ,by members responding to assumptions of my posts and not really reading what I originaly listed as concerns...

So I will compact it all and make it clear. My original post isn't focused on alcohol per se, because I was well aware of beer sales in this area,and I was also well aware of the liquor by the drink laws in resturants. So all the posters who want to argue those points are off base entirely.

My questions were simple and yet not one member has been able to answer them, so here they are again in short.

As of this date in putnam county wine can't be sold in a store or business "to go" meaning a package type liquor sale only beer. Wine and harder liquor is reserved for Resturants that have to meet the required amount of food sales by the State & ABC, and the lowest food serving sales amount to qualify that I am aware of is around $ 100,000.00 a month.

The Herald Citizen Article dated 1/13/08 about this winery, states clearly that the Delmonacos are going to have a gift shop and boutique where they will sell wine and this is tantamount to package liquor sales.(with no laws that would allow it)

Please note the food sales must be served food not packaged,because if that was the case Kroger and Walmart would have been selling wine years ago,and their not.

So my main question is this, how is this multi million dollar developement going ahead with these claims when there are no laws that allow what they propose....ie: to go sales of wine. " Payola ? "

The raping of a small local farm area to turn it into a tourist attraction is nothing new, and the displacing of the wild life that use to reside there is also common, yet undesirable to many that live here.

I just think it's odd when you go to the Herald Citizen online ,and search Delmonaco, you see the man in 2 seperate photo ops handing over checks ,and making donations, both within a week of each other and right at the time of beginning major construction on his own developement not to mention he happens to be a board member of the HBAUC
(Home Builders Association of the Upper Cumberland) here are the links to those articles Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN and the other is
Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN

Though previous poster B-Money kind of makes an earlier concern of mine that this type of thing would open the flood gates ,because as much as I love this little town ,it really has little land space or business to offer much to outsiders, that's exactly what makes it a great place to live.

It's a sleepy little town within driving distance of all kinds of action for hunters, fisherman, arts and crafts enthusiests, and 70 miles west Nashville where the party never stops, it made it a great place to live and raise your family. because the turmoil isnt in your face it's up the road a piece.

Lets face it most people save all year long to take a vacation, they live amongst the dog eat dog world daily and pay great deals of money to go to a location just like this, So when you're fortunate enough to actually live in this area, you should appreciate that it has what most others would kill for.

I chose this town to live in to avoid all the pitfalls that bigger towns experience daily, and yet it's close enough that if I want to go hectic, it's within driving distance, no vacation required, I live the vacation ,and if I want could spend 2 weeks a year going to places that are all a buzz with activity,,so why in the world would anyone want to see it the other way around.
For the life of me I haven't a clue, I understand the income level of this town is way below the national average,and thats exactly why this shouldnt be allowed.

It screams that this is about to be another place for visitors to leave their trash on the way through,for example how many lottery tickets do you think are bought a day by rich people ???,,, much fewer than those that are bought by those looking for a way out of poverty ,so once again those the least capable of affording it are keeping things solvent, and I'm sure you're aware of the saying no dog will deficate where they sleep or eat, how nice for Putnam county to allow this to become a place for them to releave themselves, caring little about the results ,because after all they dont live here.

If putnam county and the Delmonacos want to build something how about something that would give this town hope,and a little more financial security,rather than another place that most that reside here either wont be able to afford or have any use for whatsoever, I can just see uncle Jeb now commenting of the viscosity,and nose of the latest Baxter Bordeau, all the while looking for a place to spit his chaw..."get real" this pretentious proposal for a winery is yet just one more attempt by Cookeville to lay claim to Baxter just being a subdivision of it's own, that now is residence to it's winery, and the 20 upscale custom homes overlooking the vinyards, other that putnam counties Property taxes these people wont be shoveling any money in to the local economy of Baxter, they will be shopping in Cookeville or Nashville.

So to sum this all up ,this is all about the rich taking advantage of what little the rest of us have left and finding ways to skirt the laws and rules of fair play for their own benefit, and having no regard for the communities wants or needs, as we were never informed.

Even the fact that the Delmonacos sign for the winery was placed at the end of a dead end road that no one goes down facing diagonally to the railroad tracks where no one would ever haver a reason to see it, they further insult this community by stating on the sign " A Taste of Cookeville"

and I refer you back to my previous post where this land is clearly in Baxter Corporate Limits and the link to the map from the putnam county deeds office proves this out.

Cmon folks Baxters total land area is 1.85 sq miles so displacing 10 deer here is a major change for us ,I was never attempting to purport that this was impacting any other included areas, when you only have 1.85 sq miles to begin with even little things can have a huge impact, so please put this in to perspective.

Example if you have a 1 1/2 pound bag of m&m's somebody asking for 3 or 4 is no big deal, but if the bag only contains 5 of them to begin with this might be a presumptious request met with a rejection.

I know only too well the differences in stations in life and many work at places that they couldnt afford to shop, but at least those are compensated to a degree by wages,,, so what will the Community of Baxter get in compensation for this new developement.......NOTHING,,, but the Delmonacos will make out,,,, Cookeville will lay claim to the Vinyard and get snootier,and putnam County will realize a property tax increase,,,, but what are the bennefits to the town of Baxter that this winery is actually in..

NONE..... just fewer local deer,,, fewer of most wildlife that used this land for eating playing and safe travel, and posh folks that once done visiting the winery will race to get out of town with a nose full,maybe if were lucky they will let us clean up after them or perhaps peel off our shoes and stomp some grapes for minimum wage...... nice trade off .....

So read between the lines folks and get your heads out of the sand, this isnt about wine or deer or geese be they Canada or Canadian, this is about millionare land developers raping rural America one small helpless town after another and greasing the appropriate palms to get away with it, while those that live in those areas are kept in the dark until it's too late, given no voice to decide for themselves what they want in their town for their lives and their families.... so you all keep thinking greed and soon you will be living on one big exit ramp with all roads leading through you...not to you......

This will be my last post on this subject I have brought to light the information ,so research it for yourselves, and you decide what took place here, but remember if you don't use your voice now, it wont be long before they just stop asking your opinion at all about the things that will personaly affect your lives............
just like sheep you will walk over the cliff following the one with the bell.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:57 PM

24 posts, read 93,540 times
I'm thinking about opening a bordello next to the winery and feature a 50% off special for the locals.

Of course it will have a petting zoo with baby deer and other wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville