Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

PUTNAM COUNTY -- What began as a vision and a love of wine has become the latest business venture for a Cookeville couple. David and Barbara DelMonaco broke ground this week for the DelMonaco Winery and Vineyard on Lance Drive off of Highway 70N just east of Highway 56 in Putnam County.

"The idea for the winery came from visiting other local wineries." said Barbara DelMonaco. "We have always liked visiting wineries and tasting different wines."

Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN

Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
PUTNAM COUNTY -- What began as a vision and a love of wine has become the latest business venture for a Cookeville couple. David and Barbara DelMonaco broke ground this week for the DelMonaco Winery and Vineyard on Lance Drive off of Highway 70N just east of Highway 56 in Putnam County.

"The idea for the winery came from visiting other local wineries." said Barbara DelMonaco. "We have always liked visiting wineries and tasting different wines."

Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN
This is pretty exciting news. I don't drink at all (not even wine, and I'm half French) but I'm glad to see this. Being only an hour from Nashville and right off I-40 I hope this winery will be successful and bring some additional upscale dining options to the Cookeville area.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:40 AM

15 posts, read 39,962 times
Unhappy Cookeville Winery Illusion

It's sad to see this post under the city of Cookeville,because if the winery was in Cookeville,that would make it accurate,but unfortunately it's not.

This Winery/Reception Hall/ Housing developement sets in the middle of the Baxter corporate Limits,a town that sucessfully has kept liquor out of its small community for many years,and now I guess these land developers have hedged their bets ,by including a reception hall ,and 20 lot subdivision.
what no amusement park ?

It appears to me that welthy land developers,have taken a once beautiful hidden 50+acres of gently rolling farm land with a backdrop of mature trees,an area known for its seasonal visitis by Canadian Geese,and daily treks of the local dwindling whitetail deer population,and are attempting to cram in everything they possibly can in hopes that one will pay off..

I guess they like the 3 to 1 odds of making a buck,after all the new housing market is booming ( not ) I know I want my reception held on a dead end road next to the railroad tracks (not) Oh wait! It's the winery that will make it all worth while, thier going to make and sell wine, in a town that it's illegal in.

Do the Delmonaco's know something the rest of us don't..? maybe

All I know is Baxter has little to gain here, a winery a litle less than 3 miles as the crow flies from their grade school, in a town that has managed to keep liquor out with votes for decades,the defacing of a small but essential rural landscape in this quaint little town.

the Animals lose too, the deer will have to find another area that will fulfill their needs, and perhaps the Canadian Geese will just layover in the next small town on their flight plan next year, but any way you look at it these changes they are making will not benefit this small community.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I'm anti American,or against making money, because I'm not,and I'm certainly happy the Delmonaco's are realizing their dreams, it just would have been nice if they didn't have to destroy others dreams to do it..

Good Luck in turning Baxter in to the bistro capital of middle TN...

in life like it is sometimes in art you must know when to put the brush down
or progress isn't progress at all

Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM

115 posts, read 596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnrev View Post
I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I'm anti American,or against making money, because I'm not,and I'm certainly happy the Delmonaco's are realizing their dreams, it just would have been nice if they didn't have to destroy others dreams to do it..
I'm sorry...... the only dreams you mentioned that might be destroyed were those of the animals. Did you leave some personal agenda out?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnrev View Post
It's sad to see this post under the city of Cookeville,because if the winery was in Cookeville,that would make it accurate,but unfortunately it's not.

This Winery/Reception Hall/ Housing developement sets in the middle of the Baxter corporate Limits,a town that sucessfully has kept liquor out of its small community for many years,and now I guess these land developers have hedged their bets ,by including a reception hall ,and 20 lot subdivision.
what no amusement park ?

It appears to me that welthy land developers,have taken a once beautiful hidden 50+acres of gently rolling farm land with a backdrop of mature trees,an area known for its seasonal visitis by Canadian Geese,and daily treks of the local dwindling whitetail deer population,and are attempting to cram in everything they possibly can in hopes that one will pay off..

I guess they like the 3 to 1 odds of making a buck,after all the new housing market is booming ( not ) I know I want my reception held on a dead end road next to the railroad tracks (not) Oh wait! It's the winery that will make it all worth while, thier going to make and sell wine, in a town that it's illegal in.

Do the Delmonaco's know something the rest of us don't..? maybe

All I know is Baxter has little to gain here, a winery a litle less than 3 miles as the crow flies from their grade school, in a town that has managed to keep liquor out with votes for decades,the defacing of a small but essential rural landscape in this quaint little town.

the Animals lose too, the deer will have to find another area that will fulfill their needs, and perhaps the Canadian Geese will just layover in the next small town on their flight plan next year, but any way you look at it these changes they are making will not benefit this small community.

Good Luck in turning Baxter in to the bistro capital of middle TN...

in life like it is sometimes in art you must know when to put the brush down
or progress isn't progress at all
Ok rev,I have no problem with you wanting to keep wine & liquor out of the city of Baxter.You're right it has been voted down many times,and it STILL won't be there.I'll tell you why...

First off I suspect that the thread is named after the article & the paper in which it was printed which is the "Cookeville" Herald-Citizen.
Secondly the land/area the winery is going is not only NOT in the "middle of the Baxter corporate limits",it's not in the city of Baxter at all!
The Baxter city limits include Ward Mill Rd.and the adjoining properties then goes east up hwy.70 (taking the hwy only) to the Homestead Lounge and takes it in (imagine that,annexing just for the beer taxes...).Lance Drive & the properties in between the two are not in the city.Therefore a vote wouldn't help you here anyway.Nothing in the county statutes keeps a winery out.
And third,your comment about destroying the habitat of the "local dwindling whitetail deer population" is either puzzling,ridiculous,or hilarious and I went through all three emotions before settling I think on ridiculous.Dwindling population? You have got to be kidding! (Maybe you are...) There are deer EVERYWHERE! More now than ever before! I see them from my front porch and I live FIVE BLOCKS FROM THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE in downtown Cookeville!

Just a few observations...

firepower

Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,733 times
Well, even Jesus drank wine. It's not like they are aiming to attract every Jack Kerouac type left on the planet. Right?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,846 times
we will still visit our good friends in livingston (holley ridge winery)
friendly people!, good wine!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:50 PM

24 posts, read 93,678 times
Good Lord, a winery?

What will they do next, have the children playing with computers?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
Ok rev,I have no problem with you wanting to keep wine & liquor out of the city of Baxter.You're right it has been voted down many times,and it STILL won't be there.I'll tell you why...

First off I suspect that the thread is named after the article & the paper in which it was printed which is the "Cookeville" Herald-Citizen.
Secondly the land/area the winery is going is not only NOT in the "middle of the Baxter corporate limits",it's not in the city of Baxter at all!
The Baxter city limits include Ward Mill Rd.and the adjoining properties then goes east up hwy.70 (taking the hwy only) to the Homestead Lounge and takes it in (imagine that,annexing just for the beer taxes...).Lance Drive & the properties in between the two are not in the city.Therefore a vote wouldn't help you here anyway.Nothing in the county statutes keeps a winery out.
And third,your comment about destroying the habitat of the "local dwindling whitetail deer population" is either puzzling,ridiculous,or hilarious and I went through all three emotions before settling I think on ridiculous.Dwindling population? You have got to be kidding! (Maybe you are...) There are deer EVERYWHERE! More now than ever before! I see them from my front porch and I live FIVE BLOCKS FROM THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE in downtown Cookeville!

Just a few observations...

firepower
All excellent points, firepower.

Plus, I laugh every time I hear someone refer to those birds as "Canadian" geese. It's CANADA geese, not Canadian geese.

I think midtnrev has some other issues, maybe with the DelMonaco family itself. To claim that opening a winery will in any way destroy people's dreams is absurd, unless that person's dreams is to keep all alcohol out of Putnam County. I don't drink, but I still welcome this winery. I don't think midtnrev has ever actually been to a winery or else s/he wouldn't make such outrageous claims.

The wineries in Livingston and Jamestown have done very well and have in no way brought about the destruction that midtnrev claims the DelMonaco's winery will do. In fact, I think a winery in Western Putnam County will be even more successful. For one thing, it's easier to reach from Nashville. Plus being right off I-40 is a definite advantage.

At any rate (and I'm sorry for rambling) I welcome this winery to Putnam County.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
There are deer EVERYWHERE! More now than ever before! I see them from my front porch and I live FIVE BLOCKS FROM THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE in downtown Cookeville!
True the populations have increased in the last 50 yrs. thanks to regulated hunting, but one of the reasons you see them downtown is lack of habitat. As development in rural areas increases (the new housing development midtnrev spoke of) populations are pushed into human populated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville