U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,793,915 times

Advertisements

JMT,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I look forward to riding the train and using the bike path in years to come. Perhaps you will have moved to Cookeville by then and we can ride together.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM

44 posts, read 92,203 times
JMt, thanks from us too for sharing these pics. We saw them working on the tracks when we were up there this last fall, but didn't realize they were so close to being able to use them. My grandfather worked for the Nickel Plate RR in Ohio, retiring after 45 yrs, so I've always liked being around trains.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 PM

9,060 posts, read 21,495,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
JMT,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I look forward to riding the train and using the bike path in years to come. Perhaps you will have moved to Cookeville by then and we can ride together.
Sounds great! But under one condition: if we're riding our bikes on the bike path, we're going go down the mountain from Monterey to Cookeville and not the other way around.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,639,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sounds great! But under one condition: if we're riding our bikes on the bike path, we're going go down the mountain from Monterey to Cookeville and not the other way around.
I will be hosting the fund raiser for JMT's bicycle brakes!

Actually, I was looking at a new mountain bike just today, but I'm sure I could get a set of road tires for that trip.

ps, my bike WILL have disk brakes.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

57 posts, read 174,827 times
Very nice photos JMT, thanks for sharing.

I was lucky enough to be raised by my grandparents and my grandfather was a train nut. When I was 10 we took the Southern Railway 4501 steam engine from Morristown to Ashville and back to Morristown in the fall. What a great trip, wished I could find the pictures of the train going thru the mountains of NC. When we got to the top of the mountain they stopped the train and let anyone that wanted to get out and take photos. They backed the train down the mountain a ways and then came back with the smoke rolling out of the stack. It was a great site with all the fall foliage in the background. They had about 15 passenger cars and one dining car in the middle. I remember putting my saftey glasses on so I could look out the doors on the side. If you didn't have glasses your eyes would collect the coal cinders coming from the engine. Great memories to say the least.

Here's a pic I found of 4501

Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,183,081 times
Great pics JMT. Were you on the train? Too bad there wasnt some good pics of those longhorns along the tracks at the bottom of the mountain. I need to get a good photo of those for those cowaphobics.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,793,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm with you! I don't think I could make it up the mountain either.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,376,664 times
Default Southern 4501

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeelake View Post
Very nice photos JMT, thanks for sharing.
I was lucky enough to be raised by my grandparents and my grandfather was a train nut. When I was 10 we took the Southern Railway 4501 steam engine from Morristown to Ashville and back to Morristown in the fall...
Hey, we've got the 4501 right here in Chattanooga if you wish to take a gander at her again. You are lucky to have ridden her! Our old answering machine code was 4501 if that gives you a clue about how much our family loves trains lol

Here's her whistle:
The Horn and Whistle Board • View topic - Southern 4501 passing through Elsmere, KY

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 AM

132 posts, read 381,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Isn't this picture after Monterey, just north, near the sand mines, across the street from Loopers garage?
You have a good eye. That is Loopers on the left through the trees.
Our home up there is just down the road from there behind Wilsons Deer Farm. That's where you can see the Buffalo and other exotics grazing in the field from the road.(Hanging Limb).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville