U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 PM

189 posts, read 191,368 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are considering moving to this area to be closer to the children,better weather and a central home base. We like the small town living aspect having lived in western NC for 8 years. We've done some looking and have an idea of what we'd want. Our requests would be about 5 acres or less,2000 SF or less,non deed restricted to have a building for the Airstream. Is this feasible for under $250,000? Which of the three towns mentioned would you recommend as a place to start looking? Thanks in advance for all your comments and recommendations.

Last edited by radarboy; 10-09-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 PM

12,410 posts, read 34,569,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are considering moving to this area to be closer to the children,better weather and a central home base. We like the small town living aspect having lived in western NC for 8 years. We've done some looking and have an idea of what we'd want. Our requests would be about 5 acres or less,2000 SF or less,non deed restricted to have a building for the Airstream. Is this feasible for under $250,000? Which of the three towns mentioned would you recommend as a place to start looking? Thanks in advance for all your comments and recommendations.
You can get all of that (and more) for $250k. For more bang for your buck I'd go with Sparta/White County.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 10-09-2016, 06:05 PM

959 posts, read 420,005 times
Buildings for motorhomes are permitted in Lake Tansi which is about 5 miles south of Crossville. I know of several nice homes with motorhome buildings within a couple of blocks of my house which is in one of the nicer areas of Lake Tansi. You do need to get a permit from the POA before building such a building, but I assume those permits are available since I've seen several motorhome buildings in the area.

BTW, the POA dues here is a whopping $20 per month and includes two swimming pools, a recreation center, tennis courts, lake/boating access, a swimming beach, walking trails, and much more at no additional cost to residents.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:01 PM

300 posts, read 309,562 times
Agreed. Homes and land will likely be cheaper in White County, but maybe not significantly cheaper. There are many similarities among the three locations. The best location for you would depend on your preferences for weather, shopping, culture, etc.

Cookeville (Putnam County) is the undisputed hub of the region with lots of access to shopping, restaurants, arts, etc, while Crossville (Cumberland County) has decent access to these things, and Sparta (White County) has much more limited access.

Concerning weather, Crossville will be on average 3-5 degrees cooler than either Sparta or Cookeville year-round due to its location on the Cumberland Plateau (appx. 2,000 ft elevation). This can be seen as an advantage in the summer, and a hinderance during the winter.

Another thing to consider would be Highway access for traveling. All three cities have easy access to Chattanooga, I-75, and points south. Cookeville and Crossville are located along I-40 with Cookeville being about and hour from Nashville and Crossville being about an hour from Knoxville.

There are many similarities among the three cities, so I'd recommend looking into specifics to find the best location for you.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:09 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,365,065 times
You may also want to look at the area just south of Lake Tansi, just follow Dunbar south. There are homes on rolling hills / farms in that area that could have that acreage you are seeking. Its a very pretty area. You could buy acreage and build, or occasionally a home goes up for sale in that area. A smaller lot like you are looking for should fit your budget

Or go east of Lake Tansi along Hwy 127. Homes in that area should also fit your budget and lot size. For example look at 451 Hatler Rd. in Crossville. And I have NOTHING to do with that property, just it seems to meet your specifications and is in an area that has other homes that may be worth considering

Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 AM

189 posts, read 191,368 times
The home you mentioned is pretty much what we'd be looking for,thanks. I notice its been sold and probably deserved so by the looks of it. We'd toyed with the land purchase and build idea but only as a last option. We're not getting any younger and being retired from the construction industry I know how those things work nowadays. By the way,any thoughts on the way things get done there? The construction workers in this day and age seem pretty unreliable and untrained. We wouldn't want a project that drags on. I'm going to check the areas you recommended.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 AM

12,410 posts, read 34,569,383 times
Check out these places:

1755 Blue Springs Rd, Sparta, TN 38583 | MLS #177116 | Zillow

2151 Old Ridge Rd, Sparta, TN 38583 | MLS #978881 | Zillow

2429 Buck Mountain Rd, Cookeville, TN 38506 | MLS #177149 | Zillow

477 Albert Swift Ln, Cookeville, TN 38501 | MLS #177466 | Zillow

17103 Dodson Branch Hwy, Cookeville, TN 38501 | Zillow

534 1st Ave S, Baxter, TN 38544 | Zillow

8277 Old Baxter Rd, Baxter, TN 38544 | MLS #175102 | Zillow

18233 Clarkrange Hwy, Monterey, TN 38574 | MLS #177118 | Zillow

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM

15,208 posts, read 11,006,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
The home you mentioned is pretty much what we'd be looking for,thanks. I notice its been sold and probably deserved so by the looks of it. We'd toyed with the land purchase and build idea but only as a last option. We're not getting any younger and being retired from the construction industry I know how those things work nowadays. By the way,any thoughts on the way things get done there? The construction workers in this day and age seem pretty unreliable and untrained. We wouldn't want a project that drags on. I'm going to check the areas you recommended.

The info I find looks like it was sold, but re-listed...maybe buyer couldn't obtain a mortgage... ????

451 Hatler Rd , Crossville, TN 38555 | MLS 980660 | Listing Information | Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Southern Realty | Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices

Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 79,482 times
Try due north of Crossville and Monterey, you will find nice 5 acre land parcels, some for as low as 20 to 30k depending on how remote you are willing to be, many in the are with a great view.

Parkstown Rd Lot 12, Wilder, TN 38589 - Land For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.comĀ®

Old 10-26-2016, 09:57 AM

63 posts, read 56,228 times
I would consider Jackson County as well. Especially our area of the county (Center Grove) which is roughly 10 minutes from Baxter and 15 to 20 minutes from Cookeville.

Land is pretty much restriction free and our property prices and taxes are lower. The downside is that you have to drive to Cookeville for just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville