Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

COOKEVILLE -- A Cookeville Police dog has been taken out of service after attacking an innocent man who was simply taking the trash out behind a bar on S. Jefferson Ave. early Friday.

The man was taken to the hospital, treated for bite wounds, and released, according to Capt. Randy Evans.

Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I guess police dogs are afforded the same "privelage" as human police officers. If that had been my dog she would have been shot on the spot or put down by now and I would be in court. But I am glad the dog will not be destroyed and the people involved are being cool about the incident.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Would that be the very same Cookevile that became infamous nationwide if not internationally for its officers shooting some innocent travellers' playful dog, despite the owners' pleas to close the car door so that he couldn't get out?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Eh we all make mistakes.

One day maybe we'll find out that the man had lunged at the dog, or maybe something he was throwing out had the scent of drugs, or of someone he had been told to find the day before...

Besides, maybe he wasn't 100% innocent and the dog knew it...we're all guilty of something, aren't we? ;-)

Glad he's okay at any rate, and I'm glad everyone kept things in perspective! (so far)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
News update, Legal action expected from police dog bite victim.

COOKEVILLE -- A man who was bitten by a Cookeville Police dog last week is reportedly still being treated for the wounds he suffered in that unprovoked attack.

He also now has a lawyer, and Cookeville officials say they expect a claim to be filed.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Would that be the very same Cookevile that became infamous nationwide if not internationally for its officers shooting some innocent travellers' playful dog, despite the owners' pleas to close the car door so that he couldn't get out?
I remember that story, but didn't realize it was in Cookeville!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
News update, Legal action expected from police dog bite victim.

COOKEVILLE -- A man who was bitten by a Cookeville Police dog last week is reportedly still being treated for the wounds he suffered in that unprovoked attack.

He also now has a lawyer, and Cookeville officials say they expect a claim to be filed.

{sigh} I guess it couldn't be helped. I really was so hopeful that this wouldn't turn into an opportunistic lawsuit. Just more of the "you make a mistake, I sue you" routine.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
{sigh} I guess it couldn't be helped. I really was so hopeful that this wouldn't turn into an opportunistic lawsuit. Just more of the "you make a mistake, I sue you" routine.
Nice, blame the victim. If you read the story, you should be aware that he has NOT filed a lawsuit at this point. Are you also aware that many municipalities require that someone file a formal claim if they are owed any recompense? The municipality typically will not do anything, otherwise.

And what makes it an opportunistic situation? The victim was the subject of an unprovoked dog attack that was vicious enough to require hospitalization. He is still being treated for the bite wounds, and is now out of work. And you expect him to do what? Nothing?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
The article says the victim was treated and released. The chances are very high that his recovery is nothing more than the fact, you cannot get the wound site dirty or stitches wet, to avoid infection. I have been bitten by a dog and had to have stitches. Dog bites tear the skin. Its not just a straight simple cut. I had a hole the size of a quarter on the back of my hand.
Police dogs are highly trained and I am sure that hearing someout in an alley at 3 a.m. most likely triggered the dog's training. Until the dog can talk and tell his side, we'll likely never know exactly what happened.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Did anyone else find the business owner's statements a bit bizarre? He really through his employee under the bus? Are they afraid of the cops or is something else going on?

"But the accident has nothing to do with the business," Overton said. "The accident is between the guy (Moody) and the police."

Overton said the business has a good relationship with the Cookeville Police Dept.

"The police are very good about helping us out down here when we need them," he said. The business, which attracts college stuents, makes every effort to prevent underage drinking and the police force provides support and help in that effort, he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: