Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM

160 posts, read 191,493 times

Advertisements

I moved from Miami to northern Florida a while back, and I love it. I hate Miami, like every sane person. I am conservative and religious, so it was not a good fit. Also, I don't speak Spanish, and I can't stand rude people.

Northern Florida is wonderful. The people are fantastic. Still, I miss Appalachia. I am originally from Kentucky, and while the landscape in northern Florida is less like a jungle than South Florida, it's not the same as Kentucky or Tennessee. Lots of mosquitoes. All the trees are live oaks. Not much game. Also, I like a lot of acreage, and the best I could do here was 34 acres.

I have been looking at land on the web, and I see nice stuff in the general region containing Cookeville. I wonder if people could tell me what it's like there.

I want to be out in the woods on 300 or more acres, but I want to be able to get to a Home Depot or a grocery in less than half an hour. I like the south, but I can't go back to eastern Kentucky because people there seem determined to fail, and the racism is so bad it's unpleasant even for a white person to deal with. I want to be around nice Christian people. I hate traffic. I like hills, but I don't want land that's straight up and down.

Is there any hope your area will work for me?

Last edited by A Little Hoarse; 02-27-2018 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I moved from Miami to northern Florida a while back, and I love it. I hate Miami, like every sane person. I am conservative and religious, so it was not a good fit. Also, I don't speak Spanish, and I can't stand rude people.

Northern Florida is wonderful. The people are fantastic. Still, I miss Appalachia. I am originally from Kentucky, and while the landscape in northern Florida is less like a jungle than South Florida, it's not the same as Kentucky or Tennessee. Lots of mosquitoes. All the trees are live oaks. Not much game. Also, I like a lot of acreage, and the best I could do here was 34 acres.

I have been looking at land on the web, and I see nice stuff in the general region containing Cookeville. I wonder if people could tell me what it's like there.

I want to be out in the woods on 300 or more acres, but I want to be able to get to a Home Depot or a grocery in less than half an hour. I like the south, but I can't go back to eastern Kentucky because people there seem determined to fail, and the racism is so bad it's unpleasant even for a white person to deal with. I want to be around nice Christian people. I hate traffic. I like hills, but I don't want land that's straight up and down.

Is there any hope your area will work for me?
There are quite a few of us Florida refugees up here. I'm originally from Tampa, and while I still have a soft spot in my heart for Tampa, wild boars couldn't tear me away from my little corner of paradise up here in Tennessee.

The Cookeville area is beautiful. Cookeville is surrounded by gentle hills, lakes, waterfalls, woods. It's a sportsman's paradise with lots of fishing, kayaking, boating, hunting, mountain biking, etc. The university presence and a booming economy bring people from all over the world to Cookeville which means it's probably more welcoming of "outsiders" than other small Southern towns. It's also a religious, patriotic, and very friendly place. And Cookeville is getting a Publix!

Are you serious about wanting to live on 300 acres? That's about the only kink in your plan. There just aren't many 300-acre lots in the area, at least not for less than $1 million. I did find these, though, to give you an idea of what's available:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/I...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

Otherwise, Cookeville absolutely checks all your boxes. These are some short videos that, to me, illustrate what Cookeville is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkulGB1hYHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcN_OOd4RY&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvNz3SmH9jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXNUrHpd8I

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
And videos about the two farmers' markets in town and the area's love of agriculture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf00cZRkmK8&t=16s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO1FADuiyfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ4LpWlMm5g&t=10s

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the comments and the helpful material. That was very generous.

As for the tract size, it doesn't have to be IN Cookeville. I found some pieces of land in that general area. I figured Cookeville would probably be the city I ended up visiting whenever I needed an oil change or groceries, sort of like Ocala is now.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM

262 posts, read 523,378 times
We moved here from Washington state and we love it. But a word of caution, if you are hung up on Home Depot then you are out of luck. We currently only have Lowes but it fills the bill for us. You really need to come up and look around.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM

118 posts, read 131,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
We moved here from Washington state and we love it. But a word of caution, if you are hung up on Home Depot then you are out of luck. We currently only have Lowes but it fills the bill for us. You really need to come up and look around.
Where in Washington State are you from? I lived in Spokane for years and met my husband there while he was stationed in FAFB before moving to Little Rock and now we live in Fayetteville TN. We are also planning to move after my husband graduates from college. We are thinking Hendersonville, Gallatin or Cookeville.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM

262 posts, read 523,378 times
We moved here from Spokane. I retired from the Spokesman Review newspaper. Daughter and her husband both worked at Fairchild.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM

It doesn't have to be Home Depot. I just want to be able to get necessities without getting on an airplane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville