Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Be honest now...Are you natives and long-term residents tired of "outsiders" coming in and spoiling everything?

I'm wondering how ya'll are feeling about the growth of Tennessee in general and Cookeville in particular.
Getting sick of the growth?

DH, kids, and I currently live in a very rapidly growing place too. New buildings and houses/apartments/condos are popping up like dandelions. All the growth is good for the economy, but the traffic, crowds, construction, over-burdened classrooms, noise, and the dust (we live in a barren landscape) are hard on the soul.

We want outta here--but in our escape will we be (ironically) contributing to the very same problems in Cookeville that we're trying to escape from here?

We've been trying to move to Tennessee for years. We have long loved the natural beauty, the history, the culture, the music, the faith, the hospitality, the political philosophy (in general), and the positive vibe of Tennessee. We feel we should have been born in Tennessee--or at least moved 23 years ago.

Now, my husband's company is transferring him to the "Nashville area" and we're so excited! He has to be within an hour of the Nashville Airport, but I don't want to live in or around a big city (as awesome as Nashville may be), so Cookeville is number one on our short list. Plus, my sister-in-law moved to Oakridge a year ago, so Cookeville is the closest we can get to her.

Thanks for all the great information contributed here and for your willingness to help others who want to move to your city. I've been lurking for a while.

Can't wait to hear what ya'll have to say. I really want to hear your differing perspectives on the pros and cons of Cookeville being "USA's 8th fastest growing micropolitan area."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
I will be following this thread with interest as we moved here 15 months ago, so I guess we would be considered outsiders spoiling things.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:08 AM

22 posts, read 66,188 times
I will second that. Just 3 months for me.

But I came to escape extreme Liberalism and hopefully support Traditional Living and Values.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I wouldn't say spoiling everything. As you stated there are good and bad. Increased traffic and overcrowding in Cookeville and surroundings areas. I wouldn't blame all of it on transplants. What bothers me more is the change in more rural areas and farmland. Many of the natural areas that were once available to the communities have been bought up by developers, etc. and "privatized" so locals can no longer hunt, hike, ride ATVs, or horses or swim in long time "public use" areas. More houses going up and folks who want to treat rural agricultural and farm zoned land like the burbs insisting on flood lights, paved roads, regulations, etc. complaining about animals and smells and old trucks. Oh the stories many locals could tell.

I would like to see numbers on how or if state migration has positively influenced economic growth. Many moving into this area are retirees. Its been my observation that they tend to spend less for goods and services in the community. I do like the increased diversity I have seen in the area over the last decade or so. Not only culturally and racially but folks from different states and backgrounds.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:54 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStoCookville View Post

But I came to escape extreme Liberalism and hopefully support Traditional Living and Values.
So I'm guessing that you will not be at the Town Square tomorrow afternoon?

Old 06-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Probably you are right JRR.
What's going on at the Square tomorrow afternoon? I guess I must have missed the news.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I will be following this thread with interest as we moved here 15 months ago,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStoCookville View Post

Honesty Zone: How are you feeling about all this growth?

OP, perhaps you were not seeking opinions from the viewpoint of the "outsiders" but I suppose this goes hand in hand with your original query.

I appreciate that my experiences have not made me feel like an outsider or someone who is a burden to the citizens of Tennessee. I have my own money and spend it as I see fit and I contribute to the economy, considering that I am a retiree. I also participate in the community whenever needed and possible.

Although I am Chicago born and raised and lived there all of my life (along with a few foreign countries) this is my father's state of birth so it is a homecoming of sorts for me and I am very happy with my life here.

I volunteer at a local community hospital (in middle Tennessee, 10 minutes from my home) which obviously means there is no pay involved and they tell me every day how much they appreciate me and always thank me for coming in (I always thank them in return, for having me).

I typically work in the two surgical units and do my best to do a great job and always ask what can I do to make anything better...for the surgical staff and hospital personnel. For the patients and their families I am always prepared to be a shoulder to lean on and make them feel as comfortable as possible, mentally, physically and emotionally. Surgery can be intimidating and frightening for some patients and their loved ones.

I don't feel like an outsider and sincerely hope that I am not viewed as such.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,667 times
I'm a Tennessee Tech Alumni and I left Cookeville in 2009 but I do visit sometimes. I'm actually impressed with how Cookeville is slowly starting to diversify more away from just the Services and Manufacturing Industries. The only reason that I left Cookeville for the big city life of Dallas, TX is due to the lack of technology based positions. I have been keeping a close eye on the job posting for SAIC current positions and waiting for something that matches my skillset. I'm also trying to gather a list of other technology based companies in Cookeville.

#WingsUp

Old 06-29-2018, 10:00 PM

The problem with technology in this area is the lack of a nearby airport. Nashville is just too far away. TTU is a Great asset, but hard to take full advantage of because of location a + and -. Every positive has its corresponding negative. Would be great for the folks here to see more well paying technology and manufacturing jobs, but also brings traffic, expensive housing, crowded parks and congestion, not to mention a more Liberal lifestyle. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 12,667 times
Cookeville is not tapping into Tennessee Tech resources enough otherwise Tech graduates wouldn't leave Cookeville as much as they do now even though Cookeville and the Upper Cumberland is very pretty and relaxing. STEM related positions is the future and will continue to be the future for many years to come. The only way that Cookeville can lower the poverty rate and continue to bring in more young thriving families to bring in higher paying positions and less retail related positions. Manufacturing will also continue to be automated by technology and plus companies will always find ways to cut cost even if it calls for outsourcing positions.

I have just check Tennessee Tech University Enrollment by Level and Unit Trends and in 2008 Tech had 10,793 students enrolled and it maxed out in 2011 with 11,768 total enrollment but the enrollment has declined by 7.4% over the past 3 years. In the Fall of 2017 1,644 of Tech enrollment are from Putnam county, so I'm curious how many Tech graduates actually call Cookeville home after graduation that are not from Cookeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: