U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 PM

136 posts, read 102,846 times

Advertisements

We are, like so many others, moving to TN and planning on retiring there. I grew up in VA and want to be a bit closer to family and friends as we get older. We are looking for:

green belt exemption property,

remote but with cell/internet available,

as little light/noise pollution, lots of trees,

light to no restrictions and no monthly HOA (annual for road maintenance is fine just not all the restrictions CC&Rs come with in traditional ones).

Prefer a small cabin (1-2 bed/bath) with workshop or potential to easily add. (I don’t want to spend my days cleaning a big house that has too much room to spare)

Would love creek, river or spring fed pond but not in a flood zone or area where well water is hard to come by (like some parts of Crawford)

We have been to Cookeville (too crowded), Livingston and Monterey but not Jamestown, Clarkrange, Allardt, etc. We did visit Crossville briefly, but it seemed most larger plots of land are right on the main highway and we don’t want that. Budget is up to low $200’s but would feel better under 200k.

I know that all these areas have something like this so am wanting to know from a local perspective, where would you recommend on the plateau area for someone wanting a more mild climate? What rural areas are within 30-45 minutes or so to a WalMart? We don’t do museums, golf, or the big city stuff and are more homebodies that like to live a laid back simple life. I know humidity is going to be there but want to be in as cool an area ...snow not an issue and no East TN as beautiful as it is has been ruled out after several trips. We will be out there for about 10 days in a few months to make offers so continuing to do my due diligence. Thank you and we welcome your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 24,312 times
We settled in Cumberland Cove for much the same reasons that you have. It has an HOA that isn't too restrictive and the dues are $110 per year. Most lots are 4 acres and very private. I believe you can see the CC&R's on-line. I have great internet though some don't but iffy cell service while some have great cell. Depends on the location.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersdad View Post
We settled in Cumberland Cove for much the same reasons that you have. It has an HOA that isn't too restrictive and the dues are $110 per year. Most lots are 4 acres and very private. I believe you can see the CC&R's on-line. I have great internet though some don't but iffy cell service while some have great cell. Depends on the location.

Thank you Peppersdad. I really love Monterey as my first choice. My husband wants to be where he can woodwork, do his outdoor hobbies and not hear neighbors (mainly a bunch of barking dogs) so we will have to recheck it out. I will try to find the CC&R's as that will truly answer our questions about what we can and cannot do.

Right now we have bees and chickens and want to be able to continue gardening, etc... That is a great HOA fee and I am fine with having mild restrictions as I would prefer to live in an area that is kept up by neighbors wanting property value to remain on an upward trend. Many thanks for your reply! We are very excited about this next adventure in our lives.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 24,312 times
cumberlandcovepoa.com/ccpoa2019/ All that information is at this site. Unfortunately, only dogs, cats and horses are allowed. I'd like to have some chickens also but that's the way it is now. There are many woodworkers here and most folks have nice gardens - just have to keep the deer out. The counties(Cumberland and Putnam) maintain the roads and I think they do a pretty good job.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersdad View Post
cumberlandcovepoa.com/ccpoa2019/ All that information is at this site. Unfortunately, only dogs, cats and horses are allowed. I'd like to have some chickens also but that's the way it is now. There are many woodworkers here and most folks have nice gardens - just have to keep the deer out. The counties(Cumberland and Putnam) maintain the roads and I think they do a pretty good job.

Oh well boo. We love our chickens and the fresh eggs! Thanks for letting me know so for now we can scratch the Cove off our prospective list. Thank you Peppersdad.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 AM

102 posts, read 104,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
.snow not an issue and no East TN as beautiful as it is has been ruled out after several trips. .
Just curious as to why you ruled out East TN after several trips? We're making a scouting trip soon and East TN is an area of interest to us.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunik View Post
Just curious as to why you ruled out East TN after several trips? We're making a scouting trip soon and East TN is an area of interest to us.

We ruled it out because when we visited it was a bit more insular than we were desiring. We want rural but want to be in an area with a stronger emphasis on retirement. As my husband is almost 10 years older than I am and this is to be a final move for us, I wanted to be more central to an environment that would afford me/us the option to be able to visit other areas (if we elected to) that had more like-minded people.

East TN's climate is closer to what we want but the opportunities and overall impression was it wasn't as good a fit for us as we wished. I hope that it works out for you as it is some of the prettiest in the state. Feel free to DM me if you want further info. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM

32,523 posts, read 27,588,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
We are, like so many others, moving to TN and planning on retiring there. I grew up in VA and want to be a bit closer to family and friends as we get older. We are looking for:

green belt exemption property,

remote but with cell/internet available,

as little light/noise pollution, lots of trees,

light to no restrictions and no monthly HOA (annual for road maintenance is fine just not all the restrictions CC&Rs come with in traditional ones).

Prefer a small cabin (1-2 bed/bath) with workshop or potential to easily add. (I don’t want to spend my days cleaning a big house that has too much room to spare)

Would love creek, river or spring fed pond but not in a flood zone or area where well water is hard to come by (like some parts of Crawford)

We have been to Cookeville (too crowded), Livingston and Monterey but not Jamestown, Clarkrange, Allardt, etc. We did visit Crossville briefly, but it seemed most larger plots of land are right on the main highway and we don’t want that. Budget is up to low $200’s but would feel better under 200k.

I know that all these areas have something like this so am wanting to know from a local perspective, where would you recommend on the plateau area for someone wanting a more mild climate? What rural areas are within 30-45 minutes or so to a WalMart? We don’t do museums, golf, or the big city stuff and are more homebodies that like to live a laid back simple life. I know humidity is going to be there but want to be in as cool an area ...snow not an issue and no East TN as beautiful as it is has been ruled out after several trips. We will be out there for about 10 days in a few months to make offers so continuing to do my due diligence. Thank you and we welcome your thoughts.
You didnt say what size of plot or acreage you are wanting. I am surprised you could not find property in Crossville that was not on the main highway. Are you looking to build or buy? Do you want in an actual neighborhood or subdivision? It might be difficult to find property with a creek or spring fed pond in that type of area.
Jamestown, Clarkrange and Allardt are more rural and further away from anything although the area is growing. Monterey being near I-40 would give you access to other areas.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You didnt say what size of plot or acreage you are wanting. I am surprised you could not find property in Crossville that was not on the main highway. Are you looking to build or buy? Do you want in an actual neighborhood or subdivision? It might be difficult to find property with a creek or spring fed pond in that type of area.
Jamestown, Clarkrange and Allardt are more rural and further away from anything although the area is growing. Monterey being near I-40 would give you access to other areas.

Yes, it seems that Jamestown, Clarkrange, Allardt and Monterey may very well fit the bill. We did look in Monterey and Crawford the last time we were out but heard Crawford has pockets where flooding is a problem and other areas where no water could be found when drilled.

We are not wanting to build and do prefer a cabin and not mobile home. We want acreage so at least 5-10 and not in a neighborhood/subdivision. We don't want to hear the neighbors for the most part and want to be where we can have freedom to have chickens and farm if we want to. Yes, having a good water source is also important and with the whole Kingston water pollution thing I have heard about I am not sure how that will impact areas south of that. Do you happen to know?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville