U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 03:59 AM

1,058 posts, read 317,476 times

Advertisements

In advance, I tell you that many of these are not rivers, but large creeks... However, I still count any noticeably big creek as being a "large stream".

Non-major tributaries will be in Blue and not underlined. Major tributaries will be in DarkOrchid and underlined.

From source to mouth...

Begin --->

Wilkerson Creek (right, Cumberland County) - I know next to nothing about this stream. However, it may well be in an outlier of the Appalachian Rainforest, as Monterey is only 0.07 inches short of it; there is indeed rainforest vegetation along the creek (Great Rhododendrons and Canadian Hemlocks usually only grow natively in extremely wet environments this far south).

Beam Creek (left, Cumberland County) - Once again, I know next to nothing about it.

Laurel Creek (left, Cumberland County) - It seems that it's starting to carve out a small canyon!

West Fork Creek (right, Cumberland County) - I know next to nothing about it.

Clifty Creek (right, White County) - It's dry at the bottom! Then again, Scott's Gulf and some other Tennessean canyons are karst, and even the Spring Creek River ends as a losing stream!

Bee Creek (left, White County) - It's dry too, and even the Caney Fork itself nearly is during the drier season where they meet!

Caney Creek (left, Van Buren County) - It's more commonly known as Cane Creek (not to be confused with the Cane Creek at Window Cliffs State Natural Area). It is a very violent whitewater stream which drains Fall Creek Falls State Park. However, the falls itself is actually on Fall Creek (not to be confused with a below entry), a tributary of Caney Creek.

Calfkiller River (right, White County) - This is one of five major tributaries of the Caney Fork. There's enough information out there that it's probably better for you to read this, look at the map and/or do your own research. Sorry.

Rocky River (left, Van Buren County and Warren County) - This is one of five major tributaries of the Caney Fork. As such, you're welcome to read here, look at the map and/or do your own research.

Collins River (left, Warren County) - This the very largest tributary of the Caney Fork River. This is nothing to be sniffed at; it's actually big enough to have a small river running into it. As such, you're welcome to read here, look at the map and/or do your own research.

<--- Above Great Falls Dam --- Below Great Falls Dam --->

Cliff Creek (right, White County) - There's apparently this small, privately-owned lake on its smaller headwaters.

Sink Creek (left, DeKalb County) - Nice waterfall! Is it just me, or does it nearly dry up near the end of the non-flooded part? This is the location of Center Hill Lake's Pates Ford Marina.

Pine Creek (left, DeKalb County) - It has a nice waterfall and a small canyon!

Fall Creek (left, DeKalb County) - Not to be confused with the Fall Creek in Fall Creek Falls State Park. It seemingly dries up right before entering the lake, unless my eyes deceive me. Most of the headwaters have been urbanized and some severely altered, as the small town of Smithville is noticeably built-up along it.

Eagle Creek (left, DeKalb County) - I have complete certainty that it dries up before reaching Center Hill Lake.

Falling Water River (right, DeKalb County) - This is the penultimate major tributary, home of Burgess Falls and Cookeville Boatdock. Its flooded lower valley forms a huge embayment of Center Hill Lake. Just below Burgess Falls, it briefly flows through a canyon connected to that of Cane Creek. Need I say more?

Mine Lick Creek (right, DeKalb County) - The headwaters are urban, as they are within the Baxter city limits. Depending on how the 2020 census turns out, that area may even be an Urbanized Area rather than Urban Cluster! Its non-flooded length dries up at the end, but its lake embayment is probably the most significant and the best part of Center Hill Lake for fishing. Nice waterfall here too. It has a canyon with seemingly another Appalachian Rainforest outlier (Canadian Hemlocks, fog when it's absent from surrounding areas and a likely favorable microclimate).

Holmes Creek (left, DeKalb County) - It's difficult to judge for sure whether it's a big or midsized creek because so much is gone, but I'm giving it a pass because it'd surely be close anyways. Home to Center Hill Lake's Hidden Harbor Marina.

Indian Creek (left, DeKalb County) - It's difficult to judge for sure whether it's a big or midsized creek because so much is gone, but I'm giving it a pass because it'd surely be close anyways. Not to be confused with the below entry. Home to Center Hill Lake's Indian Creek Camp.

<--- Above Center Hill Dam --- Below Center Hill Dam --->

Big Indian Creek (right, Putnam County) - This creek is commonly known simply as Indian Creek (not to be confused with the above entry). One of its major tributaries is an unnamed big spring, and the creek grows in size rapidly after that to the point of being safe to canoe. In Buffalo Valley, there are images at the old Buffalo Valley School of it having been flooded within the past century; there are still frequent minor floods along the creek, and the great flood badly damaged the downtown.

Smith Fork Creek (left, Smith County) - This is the final major tributary of the Caney Fork. Despite its name, it seems to actually be more of a small river than a big creek. As with the other major tributaries, you're welcome to read here, look at the map and/or do your own research.

Hickman Creek (left, Smith County) - This is the penultimate large tributary of the Caney Fork. Its midsized headwaters flow through Alexandria and large tailwaters through Hickman and Gordonsville.

Mulherrin Creek (left, Smith County) - This is the final large tributary of the Caney Fork. It ends in Gordonsville near the local Rogers/Nyrstar quarry.

<--- End

Do any of you have memorable history with and/or favor for any of these?
Spoiler
As for me personally, my hometown is along Big Indian Creek (I don't live in/right beside town though), and I actually could've died at Smith Fork Creek near Lancaster in May 2014.

In the Smith Fork incident, I was walking out with my then-unexposed frenemy into deep water, and I was wearing rubber boots. The water appeared calm on the surface, but I was dragged by an underwater current over 100 yards downstream. I was taken over a rocky rapids and had blood dripping. I was also pulled underwater momentarily, and I was in so much shock that I barely knew what was going on. The frenemy tried to rush to save me, but he was taken too, and each of us grabbed onto a fallen tree as we were pulled downstream. Dad jumped off of a twelve-foot cliff into very shallow water, somehow not injuring himself. He dragged us both across the shallow water from the tree and rushed us home immediately. It is a day I will never forget and one of two times I genuinely believe I would die (the other being a four-wheeler wreck on Father's Day 2016, which only left me with a sprained ankle and about ten minor cuts/scrapes but nonetheless was a traumatic incident).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville