Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:46 PM

137 posts, read 120,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are a bunch of banks in Cookeville, that's for sure. Here they are with their local deposits as of 2019, the latest year available:

Bank...HQ city...local branches...local deposits (x $1000)
One Bank...Cookeville...6...344,488
First Horizon...Memphis...2...314,993
Regions Bank...Birmingham...4...300,240
First National Bank...Livingston...2...232,493
SouthEast Bank...Knoxville...2...195,910
American Bank and Trust...Livingston...2...121,325
Putnam 1st Mercantile Bank...Cookeville...3...108,105
Wilson Bank and Trust...Lebanon...1...98,126
First Freedom Bank...Lebanon...2...75,615
US Bank...Cincinnati...2...64,450
F&M Bank...Clarksville...1...58,671
First Volunteer Bank...Chattanooga...2...57,218
Citizens Bank...Carthage...1...51,921
Smart Bank...Knoxville...1...40,900
FirstBank...Nashville...1...36,647
FSNB...Lawton OK...1...1,569 (this is the "Walmart Bank")
TOTAL...33 bank branches, 2,102,671 in deposits (14th in the state)

For credit unions, I don't have time right now to look up their local deposit information, but here's a list of the ones with branches in Cookeville:

Ascend Federal Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Tullahoma, $2,703,643,545 in deposits)
Middle Tennessee Federal Credit Union (3 Cookeville branches, HQ in Cookeville, $41,078,138 in deposits)
The Tennessee Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Nashville, $334,697,637 in deposits)
Upper Cumberland Federal Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Crosvillle, $77,984,622 in deposits)
Thank you...you’re always a wealth of info! We already know we will be banking 8n Cookeville so just narrowing down the search now. We will be out there within the next month to start working on the property so I want to open an account then even before we move as it will help with planning and paying for things during the build, etc...
looks like I still have more research to do to narrow it down to then do a face to face shopping trip to determine the best fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
I'm from East Tennessee so my wife and I settled on SouthEast Bank when we left the big banks behind. They have branches in East Tennessee if I am there, and they use the AllPoint ATM network so I can withdraw cash from any of those ATMs around the country for no fees. My accounts don't cost anything and I don't usually incur any unusual fees

I use the 10th St location and most of the staff call me by name, every time, even though I don't go by the bank too often.

I use Middle Tennessee FCU for loans.
Thanks. I definitely want one that won’t nickel and dime me if I use an ATM. And definitely want a personal touch when I do visit. After all, they are using my money

Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are a bunch of banks in Cookeville, that's for sure. Here they are with their local deposits as of 2019, the latest year available:

Bank...HQ city...local branches...local deposits (x $1000)
One Bank...Cookeville...6...344,488
First Horizon...Memphis...2...314,993
Regions Bank...Birmingham...4...300,240
First National Bank...Livingston...2...232,493
SouthEast Bank...Knoxville...2...195,910
American Bank and Trust...Livingston...2...121,325
Putnam 1st Mercantile Bank...Cookeville...3...108,105
Wilson Bank and Trust...Lebanon...1...98,126
First Freedom Bank...Lebanon...2...75,615
US Bank...Cincinnati...2...64,450
F&M Bank...Clarksville...1...58,671
First Volunteer Bank...Chattanooga...2...57,218
Citizens Bank...Carthage...1...51,921
Smart Bank...Knoxville...1...40,900
FirstBank...Nashville...1...36,647
FSNB...Lawton OK...1...1,569 (this is the "Walmart Bank")
TOTAL...33 bank branches, 2,102,671 in deposits (14th in the state)

For credit unions, I don't have time right now to look up their local deposit information, but here's a list of the ones with branches in Cookeville:

Ascend Federal Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Tullahoma, $2,703,643,545 in deposits)
Middle Tennessee Federal Credit Union (3 Cookeville branches, HQ in Cookeville, $41,078,138 in deposits)
The Tennessee Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Nashville, $334,697,637 in deposits)
Upper Cumberland Federal Credit Union (1 Cookeville branch, HQ in Crosvillle, $77,984,622 in deposits)
I've often wondered why in the hell does a city need so many banks. With electronic banking, most banks are almost like ghost towns. And the bankers are a bunch of kids right out of college that don't know much about anything--much less being a banker.

But Cookeville has twice the bank and credit union choices of other like size cities. That speaks highly of the quality of the citizens living there--and the businesses located in town.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:07 AM

303 posts, read 294,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I've often wondered why in the hell does a city need so many banks. With electronic banking, most banks are almost like ghost towns. And the bankers are a bunch of kids right out of college that don't know much about anything--much less being a banker.

But Cookeville has twice the bank and credit union choices of other like size cities. That speaks highly of the quality of the citizens living there--and the businesses located in town.

You wouldn't know just from driving through, but there is a LOT of money in the area. I remember the first time I saw the banking statistics years ago and I was shocked.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
Thank you...you’re always a wealth of info! We already know we will be banking 8n Cookeville so just narrowing down the search now. We will be out there within the next month to start working on the property so I want to open an account then even before we move as it will help with planning and paying for things during the build, etc...
looks like I still have more research to do to narrow it down to then do a face to face shopping trip to determine the best fit.
It's my pleasure! Since moving here several years ago I've got the enthusiasm of a born-again preacher when it comes to spreading the word about the good life we enjoy here. And welcome to Cookeville! I hope you love it here as much as I do. Please feel free to post more questions as you start getting settled.

I wanted to chime in earlier that I agree with scorpsman about Ascend FCU. A lot of people like Ascend, but I don't. He's right that Ascend has all kinds of fees which just irked me to death, so I quit using them. For local banks, I agree with JRR that American Bank and Trust has a really good reputation as a solid local bank with very friendly service. But, really, I think that's the case with any bank around here (the friendly service). I use US Bank and love it, particularly their smaller branch on Washington where everyone knows me by name. My elderly mother loves Regions downtown, and they take very good care of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
You wouldn't know just from driving through, but there is a LOT of money in the area. I remember the first time I saw the banking statistics years ago and I was shocked.
Yes, there is a lot of money around here. Out of 95 counties in Tennessee, Putnam County is 17th in population but 14th in bank deposits, ahead of Bradley (Cleveland), Madison (Jackson), and Maury (Columbia). For per capita bank deposits, Putnam County is 4th, behind only Davidson (Nashville), Williamson (Franklin/Brentwood), and Shelby (Memphis). It's one thing that drives me crazy when I hear about national retailers who won't come here because all they look at is the per capita income figures and say Cookeville is too "poor." We get slammed because two of the largest population blocks in the area are college students and retirees, both of whom skew the income figures downward but who still have money. The bank deposits and the number of wealth management offices in town clearly show that there's a lot of money around here. And as Bamaman1 pointed out, there wouldn't be so many banks here if this area weren't so prosperous.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2020 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 12:19 AM

Thanks JMT. I’ve been on and off these forums for four years now doing my research via many of the posts here and narrowing things down further with more due diligence to ensure we make the next transition in our lives as smooth as possible. I’m a researcher at heart and enjoy reading the many different opinions and perspectives the Cookeville forum brings. By far, this forum is the most responsive out of the several in TN so thank you for the warm welcome and you contribution to that.

I fell in love with Cookeville the first time we came several years ago. We are very excited to be retiring in the community and returning back to my roots closer to family. I do have a list of several banks to do a bit more looking into to based on comments here and online on websites, so thanks again.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM

262 posts, read 522,826 times
Like us, you might end up with more than one bank. We chose one for friendliness and another for lower loan rates . There are very many to choose from in our friendly little city.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
Like us, you might end up with more than one bank. We chose one for friendliness and another for lower loan rates . There are very many to choose from in our friendly little city.
Yes, odds are we will. Right now I have 3 checking and 2 savings at 3 different banks. One is USAA, then CHASE and a credit union. I will keep USAA but since the other two aren’t local to Cookville and I do want an actual branch, I’m doing the shopping around thing. Good to hear from many here that are friendly and welcoming Thank you!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:17 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
Yes, odds are we will. Right now I have 3 checking and 2 savings at 3 different banks. One is USAA, then CHASE and a credit union. I will keep USAA but since the other two aren’t local to Cookville and I do want an actual branch, I’m doing the shopping around thing. Good to hear from many here that are friendly and welcoming Thank you!
Chase is expanding in the mid-state, but may not make this far east in time for your relocation.

Last edited by tragenvol; 07-19-2020 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 08:26 AM

262 posts, read 522,826 times
One oddity here is that the wide spread Bank of America has no presence here. The closest one is in Sparta down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville