U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 11:12 AM

54 posts, read 56,877 times

Advertisements

Greetings, we have a trip planned in October to stay in Cookeville and get a real feel for the area. We had to cancel in the spring due to Covid. Our plan is to spend a week, if we love the area as much as we think we will , our house goes on the market in Austin TX and we start the relocation process.

My concern is the number of Covid cases in the Cookeville area. I realize alot can change between now and October and I feel certain we all hope for this virus to be in the real view mirror. If it is still around, how is Cookeville handling the outbreak? Are restaurants open? What about shopping? Our time will be spend getting to know the area and looking at houses but we do have to eat and would like to have a little fun. The area is just beautiful!!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really appreciate all the info I have been able to get from this blog.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-12-2020, 12:10 PM

917 posts, read 1,070,920 times
Most everything has re-opened following the governor's executive orders; few places require patrons to wear masks. Known active COVID-19 cases number approximately 300 in Putnam County as of yesterday. The state's confirmed cases have increased over the last 10 to 14 days.

Yes, it would be nice to have this in the rear view mirror come October; enjoy your visit.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:10 AM

160 posts, read 103,439 times
About the only thing not open right now is most fast food dining rooms. Not real sure why. The few that I've asked have absolutely no clue when they are re-opening. I've got to think those would be re-open by October. I am also hopeful that the COVID numbers will be way down or almost gone by October. The number of new cases lately has me thinking that it's mostly asymptomatic people that are testing positive right now. I know a lot of people in town and I personally know of only three people that have gotten it and they were all connected to the nursing home outbreak in Algood.

No matter what, you'll enjoy your time here.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:13 AM

421 posts, read 380,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickforWV View Post
Greetings, we have a trip planned in October to stay in Cookeville and get a real feel for the area. We had to cancel in the spring due to Covid. Our plan is to spend a week, if we love the area as much as we think we will , our house goes on the market in Austin TX and we start the relocation process.

My concern is the number of Covid cases in the Cookeville area. I realize alot can change between now and October and I feel certain we all hope for this virus to be in the real view mirror. If it is still around, how is Cookeville handling the outbreak? Are restaurants open? What about shopping? Our time will be spend getting to know the area and looking at houses but we do have to eat and would like to have a little fun. The area is just beautiful!!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really appreciate all the info I have been able to get from this blog.

Unfortunately the Covid crisis is more of a political narrative and agenda than a true public medical crisis so I highly doubt the Covid narrative will subside anywhere in our nation before the election. If anything and sadly, it will probably become more intense until after the November election.

The good news for the people in Putnam county is that we have great people and great local leaders who take the right and appropriate actions to address Covid or any crisis without letting national politics influence there actions.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 AM
JRR

5,494 posts, read 3,192,677 times
It would be nice to have the virus in the rearview mirror by October, but I have my doubts. The wearing of masks around here meets a lot of resistance. Meanwhile, Cookeville Regional Medical Center has stopped doing elective surgery that requires an overnight stay as the number of people hospitalized for the virus is increasing.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the area, especially after schools reopen.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 PM

1,274 posts, read 4,487,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Unfortunately the Covid crisis is more of a political narrative and agenda than a true public medical crisis so I highly doubt the Covid narrative will subside anywhere in our nation before the election. If anything and sadly, it will probably become more intense until after the November election.

The good news for the people in Putnam county is that we have great people and great local leaders who take the right and appropriate actions to address Covid or any crisis without letting national politics influence there actions.
Seriously? 3,500,000+ infected and 138,000+ dead in the US - and counting - from a disease with no known cure as yet, and you don't think it's a "true medical crisis"? I'm astounded that so many people ignore the seriousness of this...as long as they or their family aren't directly affected.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Seriously? 3,500,000+ infected and 138,000+ dead in the US - and counting - from a disease with no known cure as yet, and you don't think it's a "true medical crisis"? I'm astounded that so many people ignore the seriousness of this...as long as they or their family aren't directly affected.

And there we have it ... the political narrative push to spread fear and panic

Putnam county is not in a crisis mode. Life here is pretty much back to normal other than a few people wearing masks. The mortality rate so far is below the typical seasonal flu and dropping as more people test positive and most most never experiencing symptoms.

Last edited by Jumeby; 07-17-2020 at 05:05 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 06:10 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,222,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
And there we have it ... the political narrative push to spread fear and panic

Putnam county is not in a crisis mode. Life here is pretty much back to normal other than a few people wearing masks. The mortality rate so far is below the typical seasonal flu and dropping as more people test positive and most most never experiencing symptoms.
Good for you - stay in Putnam county - without your mask.

1. Bedford County, a rural AG County, has doubled the cases in only a few weeks.

2. Our entire county population is only 49,700+.

3. The TN Covid19 map indicates we currently have 654 positive cases.

One of those cases is the appliance repair man who has fixed our appliances for 17 years. He’s been in St. Thomas about three weeks - on a ventilator.

Had he come to our home to look at our refrigerator when I called, in all likelihood he would have been well into dealing with the virus. I would not have thought about wearing a mask and would have risked becoming ill myself.

As it is, the refrigerator could not be fixed, a new one is coming and I will be wearing a mask when they deliver/set up.

But noooooo, there is no Covid19 crisis —-it’s ALL political hype - just ask people like you and You’ll tell us————

And if that’s the case, why are hospital beds filling up so fast the medical community can hardly keep up.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Good for you - stay in Putnam county - without your mask.

1. Bedford County, a rural AG County, has doubled the cases in only a few weeks.

2. Our entire county population is only 49,700+.

3. The TN Covid19 map indicates we currently have 654 positive cases.

One of those cases is the appliance repair man who has fixed our appliances for 17 years. He’s been in St. Thomas about three weeks - on a ventilator.

Had he come to our home to look at our refrigerator when I called, in all likelihood he would have been well into dealing with the virus. I would not have thought about wearing a mask and would have risked becoming ill myself.

As it is, the refrigerator could not be fixed, a new one is coming and I will be wearing a mask when they deliver/set up.

But noooooo, there is no Covid19 crisis —-it’s ALL political hype - just ask people like you and You’ll tell us————

And if that’s the case, why are hospital beds filling up so fast the medical community can hardly keep up.

I don't know about the hospitals where you live but here in the Cookeville area at CRMC this is not the case. CRMC is experiencing an increase in patients that tested positive but they are not running out of beds and this increase is not impacting non-COVID related services other than the temporary policy change to stop elective surgeries that require a overnight stay and restricting visitors. These common sense policy changes were made for protecting patients, staff and the community.

COVID is a virus but it's no more deadly than the common flu and as voluntary testing increases and more people test positive the mortality rate continues to drop due to the fact that the death rate is not increasing. The death rate is currently at the lowest rate since this pandemic started in the US and dropping everyday.

According to the CDC, COVID-19 no longer qualifies as epidemic status in the USA due to the current statistics.

Last edited by Jumeby; 07-17-2020 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 03:09 PM

54 posts, read 56,877 times
Thanks everyone, I should have proof read before posting, I meant rear not real. I appreciate the input. We are coming even if we have to buy food from the store and eat in our motel room. I am very excited and look forward to seeing the beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: