U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2021, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
34,676 posts, read 20,991,264 times
Reputation: 21037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
You are correct, however Algood(pop ~3500) does not have any bars and it was not legal to serve alcohol in restaurants. Votes have come up every so often in the past to make it legal and historically it lost pretty heavily.

Thankfully in 2020 the fine citizens of Algood have reversed that law (there was a lot of campaigning this time from both sides for and against) and now we have this awesome new brewery/pizza place opening!!!! This is so exciting and Im so glad they are building on the downtown Algood momentum ♥️.
Oh, I didn't know that. Are there other parts of TN that don't allow alcohol sales? Years ago I seem to recall hearing that Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels-I might have the name wrong) was "dry" and couldn't sell it. Not sure if that's true or just old urban legend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2021, 08:42 PM
 
12,567 posts, read 35,088,818 times
Reputation: 9682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. Are there other parts of TN that don't allow alcohol sales? Years ago I seem to recall hearing that Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels-I might have the name wrong) was "dry" and couldn't sell it. Not sure if that's true or just old urban legend.
Oh that's not an urban legend. Many counties around here are dry which means alcohol is sold only within city limits, and in many cases the only alcohol allowed is beer. In the case of Lynchburg, Lynchburg and Moore County are one in the same. With no alcohol sales within the county you have to go to the next county to buy Jack Daniels. I know it seems weird.

Algood just voted to allow liquor by the drink, but they still don't allow liquor stores within the city. Cookeville voted to allow liquor by the drink 20 or so years ago but didn't vote to approve liquor stores until just a couple of years ago. But it's been a boon, as not only are there now liquor stores, there are several breweries and even a moonshine distillery now in town. Algood has been not much more than a bedroom community of Cookeville, but lately it's started to bloom, and I'm hoping that its little downtown will experience a sort of renaissance now that restaurants can serve liquor by the drink.
__________________


IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 08:47 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
5,539 posts, read 3,229,114 times
Reputation: 9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. Are there other parts of TN that don't allow alcohol sales? Years ago I seem to recall hearing that Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels-I might have the name wrong) was "dry" and couldn't sell it. Not sure if that's true or just old urban legend.
I believe that Moore County (where Lynchburg is) is a moist county. You can sell beer or wine but not whiskey
l.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
34,676 posts, read 20,991,264 times
Reputation: 21037
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh that's not an urban legend. Many counties around here are dry which means alcohol is sold only within city limits, and in many cases the only alcohol allowed is beer. In the case of Lynchburg, Lynchburg and Moore County are one in the same. With no alcohol sales within the county you have to go to the next county to buy Jack Daniels. I know it seems weird.

Algood just voted to allow liquor by the drink, but they still don't allow liquor stores within the city. Cookeville voted to allow liquor by the drink 20 or so years ago but didn't vote to approve liquor stores until just a couple of years ago. But it's been a boon, as not only are there now liquor stores, there are several breweries and even a moonshine distillery now in town. Algood has been not much more than a bedroom community of Cookeville, but lately it's started to bloom, and I'm hoping that its little downtown will experience a sort of renaissance now that restaurants can serve liquor by the drink.
It's enlightening reading this. I hadn't really realized that "dry" counties were still a thing. I do remember hearing about that though quite some time ago. I'm glad to hear that there are now some local breweries in Cookeville. Much as I refuse to "hipster"-I do like a good craft beer, especially a good porter. That's one thing that got it's start in the Northwest that I take for granted.

Liquor laws are one that that vary wildly state to state. Where I was raised (in a state that shall not be mentioned) there were bars and liquor stores everywhere. Here in Idaho, liquor isn't sold before a certain time (I think noon) on Sundays-so plan ahead! There are a fair number of bars, but liquor licenses are very limited (issued by the state) and as such are existing ones are sold to a new owner for a new place to open up-for a price of $hundreds of thousands of dollars!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 AM
 
920 posts, read 1,076,750 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I believe that Moore County (where Lynchburg is) is a moist county. You can sell beer or wine but not whiskey.
I think this is still the case, but you can buy a "commemorative" bottle of Jack from the distillery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2021, 07:21 AM
 
920 posts, read 1,076,750 times
Reputation: 595
[quote=Liquor laws are one that that vary wildly state to state. Where I was raised (in a state that shall not be mentioned) there were bars and liquor stores everywhere. Here in Idaho, liquor isn't sold before a certain time (I think noon) on Sundays-so plan ahead! There are a fair number of bars, but liquor licenses are very limited (issued by the state) and as such are existing ones are sold to a new owner for a new place to open up-for a price of $hundreds of thousands of dollars![/QUOTE]

Tennessee muddies up Blue Laws with the best of them. Here, it's liquor by the drink, packaged liquor and beer sales. Only recently did Tennessee allow wine to be sold in grocery stores, and allow packaged liquor sales on Sunday. Wine in grocery stores, if allowed by city ordinance, can be sold beginning at 10:00 am on Sundays, but you cannot buy beer in grocery stores before 10:00 am on Sundays. However, you can buy beer "by the drink" at a restaurant before noon on Sundays and also liquor by the drink beginning at 10:00 am on Sundays (if your city ordinance allows). However, some cities have stuck to the noon kickoff for any type alcohol sales. In areas of the county outside of municipalities, beer sales may occur if allowed by county ordinance.

A city could have both liquor by the drink and packaged liquor, neither or one or the other. A city could also have beer sales, either as packaged or by the drink, without any liquor sales.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 AM
 
920 posts, read 1,076,750 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
One question, though: this location is directly across the street from a church, so how can they serve wine and cocktails? Anyway, I assume they've done their homework and know what they're doing.
I believe Counties and Cities have the authority to prohibit alcohol sales within range of a church as directed by TCA (Tennessee Code Annotated), and distance appears to vary from locality to locality. Historic districts receive special allowances see Gainesboro. I think there is a concerted effort to revitalize the downtown Algood area; so, it is likely the city has made an allowance for alcohol sales in the downtown district.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2021, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
34,676 posts, read 20,991,264 times
Reputation: 21037
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I believe Counties and Cities have the authority to prohibit alcohol sales within range of a church as directed by TCA (Tennessee Code Annotated), and distance appears to vary from locality to locality. Historic districts receive special allowances see Gainesboro. I think there is a concerted effort to revitalize the downtown Algood area; so, it is likely the city has made an allowance for alcohol sales in the downtown district.
Funny that you mention the school thing. Where I grew up (and when!) the drinking age was 18. In senior year (and perhaps a little sooner) we'd hit the local tavern for a drink after our last class, then catch the school bus home. Times have changed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2021, 02:50 PM
 
160 posts, read 104,794 times
Reputation: 288
I am actually really looking forward to this new place. Not for the alcohol but for the wood fired pizza.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:09 AM
 
Location: 38506
49 posts, read 20,862 times
Reputation: 157
Another article on JigHead opening a pizza/brewery in downtown Algood. They interviewed the owner. He says he see's the future of it becoming like the WestSide of Cookeville and attributes local events like First Fridays for helping to "set the tone" of Algood can grow and move forward.

https://newstalk941.com/***-head-piz...ine-in-algood/

edit for some reason city-data is filtering the word J I G... and blocking the url?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top